FAST Co. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAST Co.

I was stationed in Rota, Spain in the mid 80's and I can vouch for the exotic women. At the time, though, the attitude toward U.S. military members was pretty cool...i.e. they didn't have much time for us. They were afraid that our presence there would bring down a nuke strike by the USSR. Anyhoo, your boy should have a great time there, as I understand we are received with a bit more openness these days.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    [quote=YLDNDN6;826124]I was stationed in Rota, Spain in the mid 80's and I can vouch for the exotic women. At the time, though, the attitude toward U.S. military members was pretty cool...i.e. they didn't have much time for us. They were afraid that our presence there would bring down a nuke strike by the USSR. Anyhoo, your boy should have a great time there, as I understand we are received with a bit more openness these days.[/quot

Thanks for the info! The more I talk to him the more excited he gets. I think he is also excited to move from "student status" to an actaul unit. Hopefully he will get to have a little fun while he is over there. right now he is just focused on graduating SF and getting to come home for Christmas...which I am pretty excited about that too!

Now, back in the day, our pay stubs had the abbreviation "Stud" on them while we were in student status. So, even though he will be leaving behind his student status, he will sorta miss having "Stud" on his check stub. I hope you guys have a great Christmas together. Take care!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post
    Now, back in the day, our pay stubs had the abbreviation "Stud" on them while we were in student status. So, even though he will be leaving behind his student status, he will sorta miss having "Stud" on his check stub. I hope you guys have a great Christmas together. Take care!
    I will have to ask him is he has "Stud" on his pay stubs.... But then again....all you Marines are "Studs" in my book!! Thanks for the wishes...never thought when he joined that he would get to be home for Christmas his first year in...Do you know if before he gets deployed he will get pre-deployment leave?

I honestly don't know about that. In my day, it was more a matter of being able to schedule leave during non-essential presence times (i.e. critical training periods or other times when it was required to be on station for whatever reason). If he can manage to get in some leave time before deployment this way, I'm sure he will.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your help...I know he is going into the negative for his leave coming home for Christmas, he mentioned something about pre-deployment leave, and that it does not go against your leave bank. He said he will be very busy with training right up before he does leave. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Credits
    Savings
    I talked to my son last night, and he said they basically had thier final exam for Security Force training yesterday. He said it was BadA$$, and loved every minute of it. Said this has been some of the best training he has recieved so far...not sure if I can post what they did, but he said all his training kicked in, and even just instinct kicked in. He loved every minute of it. He said today is gear turn in, graduates tomorrow, heads to his new duty station, and then he gets to come home!
    Never ever did I ever think that his first year in the Corps we would be able to spend Christmas together. I am just so grateful.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear a young Marine loving it!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Good to hear a young Marine loving it!

I was very happy to hear it too! After his training at ITB, he was seriously doubting himself and why he did this...I did my best to encourage him, and let him know it will get better. From sound of his voice yesterday and just his overall enthusiam, it has gotten better. I lov hearing it too!!

Glad to hear you're happy and things seem to be working out.

Don't mean to be a Grinch but don't count your chickens till he walks through your hatch at home. No matter what you've been told, last minute changes happen all the time for whatever reasons that are never explained and plans have to be cancelled. Eventually, your son is going to be introduced to the "big green weenie" (getting screwed by the USMC to put it bluntly) and disappointed. Hopefully, it won't happen this Christmas but if it does don't be surprised.

Congratulations to your son for completing his FAST training!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Glad to hear you're happy and things seem to be working out.

Don't mean to be a Grinch but don't count your chickens till he walks through your hatch at home. No matter what you've been told, last minute changes happen all the time for whatever reasons that are never explained and plans have to be cancelled. Eventually, your son is going to be introduced to the "big green weenie" (getting screwed by the USMC to put it bluntly) and disappointed. Hopefully, it won't happen this Christmas but if it does don't be surprised.

Congratulations to your son for completing his FAST training!
    Thanks Tennessee Top! I have already had to change his ticket 3 times!! If it means anything has had to show his Sargent his travel plans, how he is getting home, and getting back, he is reporting to his new unit on Thrusday, so I have been a little weary about it too...but he seems pretty confident. He has been disappointed before, but it is him putting his own thoughts in his head...Getting RA and such...which he never got.

Thanks for explaining what the "big green weenie" is!! I have been seeing this other places, and just didn't want to ask lol....but I am glad I know now!!

Credits
    Savings
    Well it's official....he is on a plane right now on hisway home....had to change the ticket one last time to an earlier flight, he left at 7:25 am and will arrive in Louisville at 12:30...I told him I don't get off work until 2, and have an hour drive to Louisville. I guess he would rather sit in an Airport in Louisville then in his Barricks in Allentown?? I am not sure...but he said where he is staying should be condemened, they spent all last night cleaning them up...He said where hs is now they are full, and have to use these... Just glad he is on his way...might have to sneak out of work early, my boss is on vaca...

That's great to hear! Enjoy yourselves and have a blessed holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    I guess he would rather sit in an Airport in Louisville then in his Barricks in Allentown?? he said where he is staying should be condemened, they spent all last night cleaning them up
    To tell you the truth, most Marines would rather sit in an airport for an hour and "sight see" than in a barracks staring at...well...green.

LOL. He could be out in the field sleeping in a fox hole or under a 6 by!!!

Last edited by MOS4429; 12-23-11 at 12:14 PM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    To tell you the truth, most Marines would rather sit in an airport for an hour and "sight see" than in a barracks staring at...well...green.

LOL. He could be out in the field sleeping in a fox hole or under a 6 by!!!
    THAT'S for sure! The "eye candy" in a civilian airport HAS to be better than some enlisted barracks!!

Mom, let us know how his stay with you goes.

Thread Information