Global War on Terror Service Medal
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Global War on Terror Service Medal

We've had numerous questions on this one. Hopefully, this will clear them up once and for all.

The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal is a military decoration of the United States military which was created by Executive Order 13289 of President George W. Bush on 12 March 2003. The decoration recognizes those military service members who have performed service in the War on Terrorism from September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined.

To be awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, a military service member must perform duty in a designated anti-terrorism operation for a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty. For those who were engaged in combat, killed, or wounded in the line of the duty the time requirement is waived.

The medal is also awarded to personnel who perform support duty of an anti-terrorism operation but do not directly participate. The phrase "support" is defined as any administrative, logistics, planning, operational, technical, or readiness activity which provides support to an operation of the Global War on Terrorism. As of 2005, this blanket term has effectively awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal to most personnel of the United States armed forces who performed service after September of 2001.

The initial authorized operation for the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal was the so called "Airport Security Operation" which occurred between September 27, 2001 and May 31, 2002. Additional operations, for which the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal is authorized, include the active military campaigns of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Noble Eagle, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Future operations are at the discretion of United States component commanders upon approval from the United States Department of Defense.

Only one award of this medal may be authorized for any individual; therefore, no service stars are prescribed.

So. While some would think this is very clear, there have been repeated questions and comments, mostly from new Marines, about getting awarded this medal. The key words in this order are "30 consecutive days" and "Support". (Or designated anti-terrorist for those totin weapons).

Recruit Training? No.

SOI? No.

MOS School? No.

None of those will/would qualify, because, simply put, none of them are 'supporting' the War on Terror. While the Marine is on active duty for those things, it's all training related.

You don't 'rate' the medal until you have 30 days supporting the War. That means the Fleet Marine Forces, or your next duty station after MOS school.

In order of precedence, the GWOTSM (pronounced "GeeWOtSeM") comes after the National Defense Medal.

So that means if I was recalled to active duty in Feb 2003 in "support" of operation Enduring Freedom. I would rate the GWOTSM? I was on active duty till Oct 2003. I was also wondering if I do rate it, how do I get it put in my service record now that I am no longer in?

looks good

Quote Originally Posted by pinky2brain1 View Post
    So that means if I was recalled to active duty in Feb 2003 in "support" of operation Enduring Freedom. I would rate the GWOTSM? I was on active duty till Oct 2003. I was also wondering if I do rate it, how do I get it put in my service record now that I am no longer in?
    If you were deployed you rate the GWOT service and expeditionary medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311 View Post
    If you were deployed you rate the GWOT service and expeditionary medal.

if you look at my threads on the ICM and ACM it will have the dates for when you rate those... if you were in country before those dates you rate the GWOTEM.... you won't get the GWOTEM if you deployed after those dates in those threads.

the GWOTEM is intended for smaller missions such as the horn of africa, where pirates are.... or MSG duty..... or bosnia.....

Campaign medals are for those campaigns.... sorry if you don't rate one. KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    the GWOTEM is intended for smaller missions such as the horn of africa, where pirates are.... or MSG duty..... or bosnia.....
    Now it is for that purpose. Before the campaign medals were here the GWOTEM was authorized. I understood that, but I have a tendancy to write things without the full details.

then you go confusing people.... I mean me... 'cause others probably got what you were saying.

so yeah, you were correct in your statement then.

Ok heres a good one for you I was in the National guard from 04 till 07 and was given a Folder that contained my Gwot as well as my reserve medal and an Armed forces expeditionary medal but my 214 says Gwot expeditionary so was I awarded both or just the one on the 214 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    Ok heres a good one for you I was in the National guard from 04 till 07 and was given a Folder that contained my Gwot as well as my reserve medal and an Armed forces expeditionary medal but my 214 says Gwot expeditionary so was I awarded both or just the one on the 214 ?

If you deployed to Iraq/Afghan before the two individual campaign medals were established then you should have gotten the GWOT expeditionary.

If you did not deploy to either of the two you don't rate it.

I'm assuming since you got an armed forces expeditionary medal then you deployed (duh).

So... You rate the GWOT service, GWOT expeditionary, Reserve medal, and Armed Forces expeditionary medal.

I did a Nato mission in Bosnia looking for PIFWCS, 05-06

You rate it.

don't just wear them! you need to have them put into your SRB and I don't know the course of action to make that happen.

Correct. If you are still on active duty, take your documentation to your Admin section and make sure they enter it into your records. If you are off AD, you'll need to submit a form to get a corrected DD214.

As a reserve will I also be able to be awarded the GWTS medal? If so, how will I be eligible to receive it? Any information will be helpful thanks.

Thread Information