Infantry vs. POGs...distinguish them? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I fought with one of the best grunt units in the V.N. war. Any Marine that thinks a grunt unit stands alone, has never had it bad enough, to realize how much grunts need their support elements. When you think you are the one and all. I would say, you either have very limited combat experience. Or none at all.

Here come the 46's with more ammo. A great day to be alive, for a little longer anyway.

Question: How many Mos's did it take for those choppers to come in with that ammo and supplies? Where would we have been without them?

IMO....

No...I think it is silly to come up with another ribbon/badge/bumper sticker to 'distinguish' any MOS from another.
    All Marines are O3's by default until assigned otherwise....let the other branches do it if they need to feel one MOS is more exalted than the other.
    Current ribbons state well enough what one has done, where one has been, what one has endured regardless of MOS.

That's my take on it.

lol I would hardly call all marines 03s by default

mct gives us a very basic understanding of combat but it does not make us anywhere near as qualified as an actual 0311. it's not even that extra month of SOI that makes the difference but the continued training in the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by YourPhoneIsMine View Post

mct gives us a very basic understanding of combat but it does not make us anywhere near as qualified as an actual 0311. it's not even that extra month of SOI that makes the difference but the continued training in the fleet.
    Thank you, thank you very much. (I used to live in Memphis).

Ok.......I should have stated 'riflemen' to be more specific.
    Glad you got your 'lol'.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Right on Billy thats what i was trying to say,i seen and met some mean ass marines in nam. mos word never talk about , it was about covering someones back, you just had to shi* your self ones.or pis*YOUR SELF you dont even know your doing it , or brake out in a rash in the dark and there vc 5 ft away, iguess state side grunts really eat up the 0311 Marine, you ant **** till you been in the sh*t. any MOS,

Even these guys need cooks & clerks.

Realizing it is my choice and my choice alone to be a Reconnaissance Marine, I accept all challenges involved with this profession. Forever shall I strive to maintain the tremendous reputation of those who went before me.
    Exceeding beyond the limitations set down by others shall be my goal. Sacrificing personal comforts and dedicating myself to the completion of the reconnaissance mission shall be my life. Physical fitness, mental attitude, and high ethics—The title of Recon Marine is my honor.
    Conquering all obstacles, both large and small, I shall never quit. To quit, to surrender, to give up is to fail. To be a Recon Marine is to surpass failure; To overcome, to adapt and to do whatever it takes to complete the mission.
    On the battlefield, as in all areas of life, I shall stand tall above the competition. Through professional pride, integrity, and teamwork, I shall be the example for all Marines to emulate.
    Never shall I forget the principles I accepted to become a Recon Marine. Honor, Perseverance, Spirit and Heart. A Recon Marine can speak without saying a word and achieve what others can only imagine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking In The Rear With Tha' Beer Is Where You'll Find Jackie Boy

bull****, yes. PC, no

just like grunts wanting to feel special with their rank insignia is also bull****

Yeah,sure, I guess we should take away Recon's black watch caps and chest full of gold devices, and the Green Beret from SF guys, and the Budwieser from the SEALs, cause , you know, god forbid someone be recongnized for higher training and specialized skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You are not in the Army. The Army feels a need to distinguish it's members by uniform items like scarves, calvary covers, unit patches, MOS pins, etc. The Navy also has ship and rate patches on their uniforms.

Our uniform identifies us as a Marine. Been that way for over 200 years...no need to change now.

If you see a Marine with a combat action ribbon, purple heart, etc., chances are he is a grunt.
    TOP I AM PROUD OF MY RATING BADGE THE NAVY CORPSMAN. WE HAVE THE HONOR AND PRIVILEGE TO SERVE THE MARINE CORPS FOR AS LONG AS THE CORPS WAS IN EXISTANCE<

SEMPER FI TOP

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

This thread is very interesting. This, being the Grunt vs POG stigma, is a very heated topic not only here, but among past, present, and probably future Marines. Rather than debated this topic further, I will pose a question. Why do you (a Marine Infantryman) want further distinguishment?

Urban Cowboy (1980)

Country Western dance and beer joints opened up all around the free world. The price of felt hats and cowboy boots got so expensive that people who needed them most had to save up - or negotiate a raise. A few years later gang banger rappers were seen on MTV wearing Carhartt, and the price of brown duck cotton spiked, but that's a different story.

So John Travolta forks a mechanical bull and now we got millions of neon dudes painted up for the weekend, and they're pretty easy to separate from the "real cowboys". Though sometimes these slicks are pretty good at hiding their hand, so maybe you talk with them for more sign, and that's usually enough. But then there's a few who look and talk the part so well that you need to see them perform in the "field". And that's really all that matters.

Then there are very few who don't look anywhere close to authentic, and don't have much to say, but they could be better than you

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    well said slinger...it makes no differanse to me..was told to keep a low profile because we were not very well liked here in the world...so that is what i have done....hell half the people i know round these parts dont even know i was in the servis.....what the hell would some ribbon stare beenie or what ever do for me...it dont mean nothin...waste of life worryin bout it...i know what i did...makes no nevermind if someone thinks im a poge
    grunt...back then i thought the grunt was at the lowe end of the line....if you wasnt smart enough to do anything else you were a grunt...go figure lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    I wanted to get some input from everyone...

I'm a grunt and I'm with grunts 99% of the time I'm at work. I know that for the most part, grunts feel like we should be able to distinguish ourselves somehow from Personnel Other than Grunt. I believe in the Army they distinguish themselves by their undershirt (black for grunts and tan for POGs) but I'm not sure...

Not meant to be condescending or a seperatist, just wanna see how the other side feels
    sounds a little seperatist bro. you wanna be like the army maybe you should have joined the army.

jobs a job

Thread Information