Female hair question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Female hair question

If any Drill Instructor, current or previous, or any other Marine (probably female) can answer this question, it is respectfully requested that you remember when you were a poolee and remember how sometimes stupid questions just happened to arise in your head. That said...

As the owner of a tangly mess of hair and a female poolee, when going to MCRD Parris Island, is it acceptable/preferrable to have one's hair in the rolled bun or is it something that a poolee (well, recruit, I guess) should wait to do until instructed?

After doing ballet for so long, it is second nature already, but I didn't want to assume anything...and I have a male recruiter, so sometimes he isn't much help.

Thank you for your time.

Shave it off.

Think about it...would you rather do your hair for the first time on your own time before you go or would you rather wait until you're there with a drill instructor in your ear, counting down from thirty while there are 70 other females trying to do theirs at the same time?
    It'll just be easier to go with it done...even though you may catch hell for 30 seconds when you first get there.

I know that I just posted an answer to the same question. Use the search function and continue with your business.

Quote Originally Posted by THAT AINT IT View Post
    Think about it...would you rather do your hair for the first time on your own time before you go or would you rather wait until you're there with a drill instructor in your ear, counting down from thirty while there are 70 other females trying to do theirs at the same time?
    It'll just be easier to go with it done...even though you may catch hell for 30 seconds when you first get there.
    You make very good points. Thank you. I know for sure I hadn't thought of that.

And Cpl Nelly, my apologies for wasting space. I'm new to the forum and will get my act together as quickly as I can.

I will answer it!

First off, make sure your searching the forums for your answers because you might learn a few other things about bootcamp on the way.

The hair question..
    When we got there after a night full of processing and paperwork the next morning we were shuffled into a temporary squadbay for some more paperwork, taking away our civilian items we brought and whatnot .. When the forming DI came in and told us to fix our hair, I had no idea how to do it (a sock bun). I eventually learned later on but it was difficult for me at first to keep it half way decent looking. I WOULD SUGGEST that you go to bootcamp with your hair already in a bun. It will save you a little frustration in the beginning portion of bootcamp.
    If you have any other female related questions Olivieri PM me, I'm in Iraq right now so bear with me if my response is delayed.

I say High and Tight!

Haha to all of you who suggest to shave it off ...It's apparently against regulations for females to have it that short. 1/4 of an inch I believe I read in a different thread of this sort. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Thanks for your input anyway, I'll remember it for when I really want to get extremely chewed out AND look butch all at once. Lol!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Looks like Tegan is the only one available qualified to actually Mentor. Hazing and bull **** does not count for much in the Marine Corps these days. Never has actually.

An update to this thread for other female poolees that want to keep their hair:

The other day I was in a Claire's store in a mall and found actual hair donut items, they seem to be made of almost a plastic dish-scrubbie material, but they are, IMHO, easier to wash and keep in decent condition than using a sock. And relatively cheap! The small I bought was three dollars, and the medium was $3.50.

They come in three colors: black, brown, and "blonde" and three sizes: small, medium, and large.

As far as I just checked, I couldn't find them on the online store, but my eyes were bleeding so much I couldn't stand to look much longer.

Good stuff!

Another thing you can do is buy a pair of socks, black or brown depending on your hair color, cut the toes off, put it on your forearm, and roll it off. We weren't allowed to have sock buns until after initial drill, my senior viewed it as a privilege to have a sock bun. My suggestion would be to practice other ways of doing your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivieri View Post
    An update to this thread for other female poolees that want to keep their hair:

The other day I was in a Claire's store in a mall and found actual hair donut items, they seem to be made of almost a plastic dish-scrubbie material, but they are, IMHO, easier to wash and keep in decent condition than using a sock. And relatively cheap! The small I bought was three dollars, and the medium was $3.50.

They come in three colors: black, brown, and "blonde" and three sizes: small, medium, and large.

As far as I just checked, I couldn't find them on the online store, but my eyes were bleeding so much I couldn't stand to look much longer.

Good stuff!

Only problem I see with that is that you will not be able to keep that once you get to Boot Camp. However it would be a fantastic tool once you get out to MCT and what not.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm going to stick my male opinion in here. My oldest daughter is in the Air Force Reserves. When she got ready for basic training, I advised her to cut her hair as short as regulations allowed. The time she would save would be invaluable for use on the other million things that need doing in anybody's boot camp.

She did cut her hair short and still sings my praises to this day for the advice.

So, my advice to any female going into the military, the Marine Corps especially, is cut your hair as short as allowed. You have plenty of time to re-grow it and the time you save on hair care will be well spent on other things.

I used to use these hair ties that had a rubber coil on the outside,soo as tight as you pull your hair, thats how tight they stayed. I think they would be good for MCT once your hair grows alittle. i bought them at a local general store tho.Never seen em at a chain.

I just wanna see how the hell yall put your hair in the buns. Someone make a video.

Thread Information