Squared away uniform tricks... - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC Horse View Post
    Working on that profile but do you really give a crap where I went to high school or what my favorite color is?
    Yes! and favorite number too. lol.

Seriously did they even have anodized brass in your era. I entered bootcamp in the early 90's and we were issued non anodized brass. We had to polish everything until we got to school or the Fleet where we could buy anodized stuff, so I'm guessing you used a lot of Brasso.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

Some of the more ajay sea goer's used plenty of tooth paste on belts and the white cover and gloves. Slip the gloves on and disassemble the cover, squirt a dollop of ultra-brite in your palms and massage gloves and fabric cover thoroughly, rinse, repeat A brush will prematurely fuzz and fray these items and clorox soaking simply wasn't practical

Belt scrubbing with a tooth brush was arduous, similar to extra-duty doled out and to be performed on a man's all-fours scrubbing sh*tters and bilges

Everybody used a scuz brush for belts and some of the super squared away's kept a 'special' brush to be used only with tooth paste on web and blues white duty belts.

--->Dave

RLeon, right no anodized brass and lots and lots of Brasso.

Slinger Dun, Learned to use the toothbrush on our web belts in boot camp when everything was arduous and felt like extra duty. But have to say when our DI let us in on this and allowed us to do it, it felt like a special treat...being just a little salty while in boot. We were privaleged to do our webs with a tooth brush. P.S. not the same brush that we used on our teeth! LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Boot camp is a different story. We had all genuine brass that had to be polished daily. Our heavy took all our belts properly marked and cut home with him and washed them or his wife did or whatever. There was never an attempt to turn a light brown web belt white. The washing was to soften the belt and some shrinkage was allieviated. Over time the belt with many washings continued to shrink but never got any lighter in color. The white gloves were never the same after handleing a rifle coated in linseed oil and either became a spit rag or target practice and had to be replaced. I have heard but never seen about placing a bunch of web belts in a luandry bag and dragging them behind a ship to clean.

To avoid irish penants on the tip of a web belt trim it at a 45 degree angle with cuticle scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    ....Over time the belt with many washings continued to shrink but never got any lighter in color
    Few months back i found a single remnant of Marine issue, the web belt. It's retained a mousy dun color but it lost a good two inches of length settin in pops attic and i'm pretty sure positive it hasn't been washed in some 26 years

rank insignia on cammies

Hello all, as a new Marine, I like reading all of your comments. Can you tell me the best way how to perfectly align your rank insignia on your cammy blouses? Using a ruler is too tedious and I'm hoping for a more streamlined way to ensure precise accuracy.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJimWest View Post
    Hello all, as a new Marine, I like reading all of your comments. Can you tell me the best way how to perfectly align your rank insignia on your cammy blouses? Using a ruler is too tedious and I'm hoping for a more streamlined way to ensure precise accuracy.
    Over time, with practice, you should be able to stick the things on simply by eye and be dead-on accurate. The process becomes easier as you get promoted for the simple fact there is a bigger chunk of metal to hang onto while positioning the little buggers. PFC and LCpl are the hardest to position for sure.

Meanwhile, practice putting them on by eye, then measuring. After a while, I only double-checked with a ruler for formal inspections.

Also, your profile is a little thin. Give us some more about you. We're nosy.

Use a quarter. Lay it on the collar so it lines up with the bottom part of it exactly. Then place your chevrons pretty much on top of the quarter so that it's even on both sides. That's what our drill instructors taught us.

Get a chevron placer...little yellow plastic thing (in the shape of a collar) that used to be available at most PX's. Has a slot to place the chevron for every enlisted rank and then you lace it on the collar and push the pins in to the collar. Take the chevrons out of the placer and put them into the holes you made. I still use the same one (from over 11 years ago!) to put my collar brass on my po'lice uniform

This sounds odd but when you wash your Utilities (or even coveralls, flight suits, etc that are well soiled) add a 20z of Coke with your detergent. Yeah Mythbusters proved that Coke has other uses and I'm surprised this wasn't one.

I didnt believe it at first until one of my fellow Marines took home a nasty and dirty squadron patch, washed it with the Coke and came back the next day it looked almost new. Does the same to your cammies and coveralls to get out some of the "dirt stains" and works a bit on those grease stains and such.

UNIFORM WEARING: Federal laws concerning the wear of the United States Military uniforms by people not on active duty are published in the United States Code (USC). Specifically, 10 USC, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Sections 771 and 772 state.:

- Section 771: Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear - (1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or (2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps
    - Section 772 lists some exceptions:
    (a) A member of the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard may wear the uniform prescribed for the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard, as the case may be.
    (b) A member of the Naval Militia may wear the uniform prescribed for the Naval Militia.
    (c) A retired officer of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the title and wear the uniform of his retired grade.
    (d) A person who is discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may wear his uniform while going from the place of discharge to his home, within three months after his discharge.
    (e) A person not on active duty who served honorably in time of war in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the title, and, when authorized by regulations prescribed by the President, wear the uniform, of the highest grade held by him during that war.
    (f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force.
    (g) An officer or resident of a veterans' home administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs may wear such uniform as the Secretary of the military department concerned may prescribe.
    (h) While attending a course of military instruction conducted by the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the uniform prescribed by that armed force if the wear of such uniform is specifically authorized under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of the military department concerned.
    (i) Under such regulations as the Secretary of the Air Force may prescribe, a citizen of a foreign country who graduates from an Air Force school may wear the appropriate aviation badges of the Air Force.
    (j) A person in any of the following categories may wear the uniform prescribed for that category: (1) Members of the Boy Scouts of America. (2) Members of any other organization designated by the Secretary of a military
    [Source: About.com: US military 28 Oct 08 ++]

Khaki's

Wore khaki's for the last time in Oki 1976. Had Mamma-San starch the hell out them, had 2 buddies hold them for me while I stood on a chair and got into them. Then walked stiff legged down to my post on the main gate, as to not to bag the knees.
    Used Brasso in Boot Camp to clean brass (what the hell was Anodized?), with vinegar to break them down. Spit shined shoes and boots, and when we done our shoes, just light the shoe polish on fire for a min to burn residue out. Use baby diapers and you will come up with a hell of a shine, till someone frigs them up by stepping on them.
    Learned to buy Creighton shirts to look sharp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marinecorpsvet View Post
    Wore khaki's for the last time in Oki 1976. Had Mamma-San starch the hell out them, had 2 buddies hold them for me while I stood on a chair and got into them. Then walked stiff legged down to my post on the main gate, as to not to bag the knees.
    Used Brasso in Boot Camp to clean brass (what the hell was Anodized?), with vinegar to break them down. Spit shined shoes and boots, and when we done our shoes, just light the shoe polish on fire for a min to burn residue out. Use baby diapers and you will come up with a hell of a shine, till someone frigs them up by stepping on them.
    Learned to buy Creighton shirts to look sharp.
    Never wore the old khakis except once in boot camp. Some guys wore them while on mess duty after boot camp. We also had the tropicals, which had the khaki color, but better material - never starched. I liked the look of the trops, but they attracted dirt in a manner only beaten by white clothing.

I wore trops home after boot camp. I remember clearly my father meeting me at the airport, then rubbing my uniform shirt and trouser material with his fingers and saying, "Sh*t. Officer's material."

He said the same thing about my winter greens and explained how his greens (in WWII) came issued all fuzzy and Marines had to learn to shave them down to remove the fuzz and smooth out the material. To leave them as issued marked you as a raw recruit. For summer, they only had khakis, no better quality tropicals. Didn't have short sleeved shirts either. But they did have that cool looking "fair leather" belt to wear on the greens instead of the cloth thing used now.

As an MP, I was very happy when the Corps came out with the summer weight greens in the mid-1970s. Never wore trops after that. All-in-all, I think I prefer the look of the khaki shirt over green trousers.

Outstanding S/Sgt Nelson, These are the utilities that should have NEVER gona away! Break a new pair on a daily basis. Never be confused with anyone else! Thanks for the memory!

ed, what the hell is that all about? good info though.

Thread Information