Disqualified for scarification on wrist
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Disqualified for scarification on wrist

Hey, I don't really know how forums work so I apologize in advanced if i'm breaking any rules

Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out.

I have pictures of it here
    http://omegaxea.deviantart.com/

If anybody can tell me if there is ANYTHING i can do please reply. I'm desperate too get into the marines and this is the ONLY thing holding me back. I scored 82nd percentile on the practice ASVAB and have zero health issues. If anybody can give me some information it will be GREATLY appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by MarineInMaking View Post
    Hey, I don't really know how forums work so I apologize in advanced if i'm breaking any rules

Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out.

I have pictures of it here
    http://omegaxea.deviantart.com/

If anybody can tell me if there is ANYTHING i can do please reply. I'm desperate too get into the marines and this is the ONLY thing holding me back. I scored 82nd percentile on the practice ASVAB and have zero health issues. If anybody can give me some information it will be GREATLY appreciated
    Go Army.

That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that's why you were dq'd ?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Go Army.

sorry, don't want to go army. If i can't get into the Marines, I'll go navy, however if there is a way past this i'll find it out.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryttBold View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that's why you were dq'd ?

yes, just called them earlier this morning and that's what they said.

Current Marine Corps policy states that any tattoos, branding or body markings within two inches of the natural bend of the wrist are prohibited. Until that policy changes (and I don't see it changing) you are ineligible for service in the Marine Corps. That is the cold, hard truth.

Sorry young man, I am sure you would have made a fine Marine. I say go Army because they do not have this policy. Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Credits
    Savings
    I would also like too add that I've been preparing for the marines for the last 4 years. I recently got my diploma and have not gone to MEPS yet, just showed the recruiter my wrist and he called somebody too ask if they can get a waiver for it. They said no because it's a tattoo, he then asked if it would be considered a removed tattoo because there is no ink in it. and he said no, it's still a tattoo because it's visible, even though removed tattoos are far more visible than what i have

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Current Marine Corps policy states that any tattoos, branding or body markings within two inches of the natural bend of the wrist are prohibited. Until that policy changes (and I don't see it changing) you are ineligible for service in the Marine Corps. That is the cold, hard truth.

Sorry young man, I am sure you would have made a fine Marine. I say go Army because they do not have this policy. Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Thanks, it seems like I'm not going too get in, but I will find a way around this if there is one. I'm not betting on the policy changing either, but perhaps convincing them this is nothing different than a scar. It's a long shot but it's the only thing i have at this point.

Not trying to give you false hope, but one of my buddies I served w/ got a waiver for something that dq'd him from the Commandant. I'm not saying you'll get a waiver from the Commandant, but anything is possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Not trying to give you false hope, but one of my buddies I served w/ got a waiver for something that dq'd him from the Commandant. I'm not saying you'll get a waiver from the Commandant, but anything is possible.

any information on how he went about doing that?
    would be appreciated beyond words.

Even though your tattoo has no ink, it could be considered branding, which is also prohibited.

Connections bro, his Dad was State Department. Start with your Congressman, you've got nothing to lose.

In the Military Personnel Procurement Manual (AKA the bible for enlisting someone into the Marine Corps) it states for various issues that waivers "MAY" be granted. This means that the Marine Corps has the authority to let in essentially anyone who is capable regardless of body markings, arrest record, lack of high school education, etc.

The key word there is "MAY", meaning that the Marine Corps does not have to grant those waivers. Right now, we have people beating down our doors to get into the service. Not just the Marine Corps but all branches. The Marine Corps is not going to spend time entertaining such waivers when there is an applicant with equal qualifications to yours who doesn't require a waiver. Similar concept to the idea that recruiters will tell applicants anything to get them to enlist. Not true. If Johnny Q doesn't want to enlist, no sweat off my back...Johnny D. will.

If things were different and the Marine Corps were desperate for people to enlist, then the policy makers can waive just about anything. Unfortunately for you, that is not the case right now, and will not be for a few years.

Credits
    Savings
    Connections bro, his Dad was State Department. Start with your Congressman, you've got nothing to lose.

thanks, its a starting point

Quote Originally Posted by MarineInMaking View Post
    sorry, don't want to go army. If i can't get into the Marines, I'll go navy, however if there is a way past this i'll find it out.
    We don't want you. Go into the Navy. You'll fit in better there.

Thread Information