Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 13
Create Post
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by npipper50 View Post
    Oh yes, I stopped by DogPatch and Four Corners several times, In country R&R, out from the bush, 0311, that was in 1968, that is where I got my first dose of the clapp. Baby sahn's had some nasty pootang. I used protection from than on!!! Delta Company, 1/1st MARDIV.

Ha! You Delta dudes humped Rock apes. I didn't catch anything in that place but I almost got caught. Bravo 1/1 67-68

B-52 crash

Top, I was there with VMFA-115 in 66 & 67. I remember that B-52. The enormous tail of that baby was real near the bend in the perimeter road.
    Were you in HQ Mag-11 or what? I was "on loan" to H&MS-11 for a few months. Damn, that flight line was hot!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    [QUOTE=iamcloudlander;190230]
    Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

I have some pictures of dogpatch circa 1967-1968 if I knew how to upload them I would do so for all you vets that were there.
    I might add that the skivvie houses were mostly centered at Red Beach where all the supplies brought by the Navy were dropped off and everyone that had a license for a 6X tried to make supply runs. One of our Marines on a supply run traded a K-bar for a pallet of beer. We got caught and the sailor was NJP'ed and we had to return the beer except by that time a lot of it was gone.
    Do any of you Viet Vets recall hearing the stories of some of the troops getting the veneral disease called Black Balls as this disease had no cure and you died from it the ones that had it were sent to the Phillipines where they died and the family was informed they were KIA. Don't know if it is true or not just wondering if anyone else had heard of it.
    I was stationed at the H&MS11 Bomb Dump in '68. I remember Dogpatch well. It was off limits but, being Marines, we never let that stop us. There were quiet a few friendly Baby- Sans there. If my memory serves me, the name of Dogpatch was actually Ho-Phat, or something very similar.
    As for the VD 'Black Balls', that was scuttlebut passed around to keep us the hell away from the vills. They told us that they were sending these guys to Guam to die, and the families were told that they were MIA at first, then KIA. That still didn't keep us away. Semper Fi!

I was there when the bomb dimp blew up. It started on Sunday morning and hit small arms on Monday morning. I remember a truck full of WP went up and it was amazing and scary as hell. tHE

[quote=wizard1948;412629]I was there when the bomb dump blew up. It started on Sunday morning and hit small arms on Monday morning. I remember a truck full of WP went up and it was amazing and scary as hell. There was unexploded ordinance everywhere the next day. Most of the units atound 327 were ecacuated and only MABS11 stuck around to protect the airbase. The concussion waves were huge and youi only had about 10 seconds once you saw them coming to take cover. I had hearing problems when I first came home but attributed to the noise from the A4 and E6 warming up at the ready revetments. I think that the dump was blown in April 1969 shortly after TET.

Credits
    Savings
    I got to the Dump right after the '68 offensive, and left in March of '69. Charlie hit us almost every other day with mortars and rockets. I was really surprised that he never hit any of the ordnance before they hit it in '69. We got so used to it, a lot of us never stopped going to the bunkers when he hit us. Stupid GD kids that we were. Loved going to the Patch and to Red Beach.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Gentlemen.....Dog Patch? Red Beach? Skivvie Houses? DaNang? Sitting in bunkers, while being mortared? How did I miss signing up for that duty?

I was at MAG 11 in 66-67. Dogpatch was just across the road from our main gate. Wondered by they called it Dogpatch till I saw a guy butcher a dog in his yard.
    The Phantoms were before I got there but I remember a jet jockey doing an emergency landing one day. Had it firmly on the runway in the foam and for some reason hit the throttle and lifted off. Made 1 pass and landed. Gotta be the only Jarhead to make 2 emergency landings in i day with the SAME airplane. The other big wreck we had was a USAF C-141 that got hit on the runway by a fully loaded A6. Nothing left of either plane except the tail secion of the C141. It sat at the north end of the runway for a long time.

Credits
    Savings
    They did love their dog stew. When I was a 'Newbie', I was walking along the fence line, and there was a little puppy on our side of the fence. This mama-san asked me to get it for her. I started to pick it up, when this sentry in a guard tower told me to let it alone. He said she wanted it for her stew pot, and that if I gave it to her, he would shoot me. He looked like he meant it. ;>)

Next Door

Quote Originally Posted by sgtvern View Post
    Top, I was there with VMFA-115 in 66 & 67. I remember that B-52. The enormous tail of that baby was real near the bend in the perimeter road.
    Were you in HQ Mag-11 or what? I was "on loan" to H&MS-11 for a few months. Damn, that flight line was hot!
    I was with VMCJ-1 in '66 & "67. I think we were right next door to you guys on the flight line. Some of your launch guys used to come over to shoot the **** and help launch our birds.
    SEMPER FI

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Anyone remember Qua Viet, in the summer of 69'? BOOM!! So much for "in-country R&R!!" The beach was nice, though! Warm beer was a treat! U.S.O. show was okay, too! Food? Better than C-Rats! BUT....the explosions, from the ammo dump, made for a 4th of July celebration! Drunk, and passed out, don't remember leaving that little paradise!....SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek

Yep - that was us. I was working in the F8 radar shop. I remenber your guys screaming when the power died half way thru a long test in the SACE vans. Had to start over after 4 hrs of wasted effort.
    Better than even chance our paths crossed more than once. Kind of hard to be there 13 months and not connect at some point. Interesting tour but I wouldn't want to do it again.
    These guys talking about a B52 need to get their facts right. It wasn't a B52 it was a C141. B52s could land at Danang but they could take off. Runway wasn't wide enough. The C141 was crossing the runway loaded with oxygen and acetylene cylinders when the tower gave takeoff clearance to an A6 loaded with bombs. Made one Hell of a bang. Only thing left of either acft was the tail section of the C141 that sat at the north east end of the runway for a long time. "Official" word was a different story but a guy in the next hut over heard the actual transmission on his scanner and the tower did give clearance to both acft.

Hey Vern,
    I had totally forgotten about the A-6 and 141 collision. If I can remember, no one could get near that thing for a couple of days and nights because ordnance kept cooking off. I also remember when we got rocketed. There was a story that when all the line guys ran across the road to take up defensive positions during the attack behind the 60 crew in the sandbagged tower, some knucklehead tripped in the ditch by the hangars and broke his leg. Story was that he got a purple heart and was sent home. Lucky guy.

I was in 1st MAW. Stayed in the H&MS-17 compound just down the road from MoterT and right across the road from the Air Force Security squadron (the place with the big yellow building with the gigantic engines and generators). We were regulars to Dog Patch. Loved the place! Took some incoming while we were out there with the girls... exciting times!! Went bowling and drinking at the beer garden on Freedom Hill a lot. Loved the PX, bought all kinds of stuff!

one of those mp's

[was there in 69-70 had to take you back to your unit. patrolled area around the hill. knew allot of the girls. lover and candy my favorites!quote=younglords;129586]
    Originally posted by jinelson
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim [/QUOTE}

Jim,
    I remember Dog Patch, I was one of the AFP`s (Armed Forces Police) that patrolled that area, was assigned to Delta Co. 3rd MP Bn. Caught many a marine there making skivvie runs. Even caught our XO and CO there once, the day after they lectured us about us going on a skivvie run. Danang was open to us though for all kinds of skivvie runs, I boom boom long time while being an AFP, lol
    Eddie....

Last edited by bushwacker; 12-16-08 at 10:33 PM. Reason: memories

Thread Information