MCT at Camp Geiger
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MCT at Camp Geiger

Our Marine was "picked up" this past Tuesday for MCT, so he's glad he's not having to wait unti the 23rd.

We're not able to get down there for Christmas, and are planing to go to Graduation (weather permitting. We've been blocked in by snow for day's at time the last several winter's).

Are they allowed to receive personal packages, like home-made "goodies? I make a "mean" Monkey Bread, and some great Triple Chocolate Chip cookies.

Would those be permitted as a personal package? Or, would it only be permitted if enough was made for the platoon?

Other than that, I'm guessing the only other personal mailing's he can get are letter's, or "hygeine" item's.

Thanks for the dope on this.

Last edited by jclarke; 12-17-11 at 05:33 PM. Reason: adding a gratuity

Your best bet is to have him ask his command to see what their policy is. but it shouldn't be a problem.

Credits
    Savings
    He isn't going to have time for any packages. He's going to be in the field 90% of the time. You send it now it won't reach him until mos school.

Credits
    Savings
    Kinda hard to short of a letter. And no tellin' when or how often mail would arrive. I'd like to bake something to get to him for Christmas. I'd have to do it tomorrow (Sunday) for it to "maybe" get to him by Saturday. I know a lot of packages are moving through the mail, so it's a crap shoot about when it might get to him. :-)

Credits
    Savings

Kinda had figured that

Quote Originally Posted by FaDeD View Post
    He isn't going to have time for any packages. He's going to be in the field 90% of the time. You send it now it won't reach him until mos school.
    But, they do have liberty on site for Christmas Eve and Day. I'd hope it'd get to him by Saturday, but then, it too is a holiday, so it more than likely wouldn't.

Thanks for letting me know!

Credits
    Savings
    Well, made reservation's for Econolodge by Camp Geiger today. Weather permitting, or rather snow permtting (and I'll be d__ned if I let it, I'll get us towed to the main road if I have to!), we'll be there the 9th in the afternoon.

Cannot understand why the lodging's nearer to the Camp are in Priceline's thing! Cannot get to any of them unless we use Priceline, and we don't travel that much to use them! Oh well, least we gotta room!

Credits
    Savings
    Called the mail operation's today at Camp Geiger, as our Marine hadn't received any letter's from us. The Corporal was kind enough to explain how the mail works. So, for those who've sent mail to MCT, the Marine needs to go to his/her mail clerk. I was told, if they were in the field, then it'd be delivered out to them.

The mail goes through Camp LeJuene, then to Camp Geiger. There are 4, maybe 5 clerk's to sort the mail for the thousand's of Marine's there. So getting mail, much less a package seems to be kind of a "crap shoot" as to when it'll reach them. That and the mail definetly increased this month.

Credits
    Savings
    Anyone know if the premise "no news is good news" as far as graduation at MCT applies? We've not heard from our Marine since Christmas evening, and his platoon was packing and preparing for an early rack time for a 02:00 wake-up to hike out to the field.
    Another Private told us while we were on Skype that the training may be "compressed" due to the time lost on Christmas weekend.

Yep, MCT seems to be an information vacuum. We did not hear from our son until after graduation. We had no plans of attending though, and he said there were very few parents there......... didn't see him again until about halfway through MOS school.

Your Marine is in the field learning what it takes to be a Marine. Training will not be compressed and they will work as many training days as any other class. Free time is slim to none because he is in the field. Im sure writing letters is the least of his worries right now. Loosen the strings on him a bit, this isnt boy scout training.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Loosen the strings on him a bit, this isnt boy scout training.

Credits
    Savings
    Hey, don't get me wrong, lol! I'm good with what's goin' on. It's his Mom I gotta keep "happy". She's never lived under a Marine's roof as I have. Been telling her that it's when we hear something, then we worry. I know MCT is way different than PI, that when a Recruit is sent back for one reason or another, then they "get" to call home to inform the delay in graduation.

She know's she's going to have to "let go", but, he is the youngest, and, well, there's a story about him being alive when we found out something when he was 3-yrs. old (had to do with us, not him). So, she has always believed, or "known" a "Guardian Angel" had their eye's on him, for one reason or another.

I'm looking forward to seeing Camp Geiger and the area. And to see where the Corps is sending him for what kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing Camp Geiger and the area.
    When you are exploring the area, don't overlook the coastal community of Emerald Isle. If you will be making future trips down there, you can find a nice place to stay for a VERY reasonable rate in the off-season. It's a 20-30 minute drive from the main gate, but is often cheaper than staying in town, again in the off season. When tourist season fires-up, forget about it.

Of course this depends on where his MOS school will be and his PDS.

My son is stationed at Lejeune and we rented a 3br house, 2 blocks from the beach for easter for CHEAP!

Credits
    Savings
    If we only knew what and where his MOS and PDS will be! Since he went in on an open contract, no tellin'! There's no plane/bus ticket charge yet in his account, so...

Quote Originally Posted by jclarke View Post
    If we only knew what and where his MOS and PDS will be! Since he went in on an open contract, no tellin'! There's no plane/bus ticket charge yet in his account, so...

He should've been told during boot camp what the general MOS that he's going into is. In MCT he will be told where he's going next, however this information could be incorrect.. but he will have a general knowledge about it.

Being as it's during this timeframe, he will probably be VERY VERY cold.. so don't expect too many letters if any, as most don't write. Letters are always welcome though.

Good luck to you and your son,

LCpl Yonkers

Thread Information