just trying to adjust - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    nycpatriot,
    So sorry for the lose of your husband, I can't imagine what you are going thru, I at least had my daughter, she is only 13, but if I didn't have her while he was gone, I don't know what I would have done.

I know it is hard, but you can't worry about him, he is in good hands!! The Marines will take care of him, and remember this is his dream...my son was the same way..and i was in your shoes not to long ago, he just graduated 9/2/11, so everything is still very fresh in my mind. He sounds like an amazing young man, finally getting what he has wanted for so many years. Still doesn't make it any easier on us! My son told me that he thinks my job is harder than his, being a Marine Mom, but I don't think so. If you have any questions about anything, please let us know, i know what you are going thru...these first weeks are so hard, but it does get easier...I promise

nycpatriot - Be proud that your son is a patriot. I started my journey as a Marine in Jan 67, and I am proud to say that I am still a Marine, though I only served 3 years during Vietnam.

Your son has entered a brotherhood that will last his lifetime, his character will be forever forged as steel. You will be proud. Whether he serves a career or leaves the Marine Corps after his first enlistment, he will forever be a Marine. Semper Fi

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    nycpatriot - Be proud that your son is a patriot. I started my journey as a Marine in Jan 67, and I am proud to say that I am still a Marine, though I only served 3 years during Vietnam.

Your son has entered a brotherhood that will last his lifetime, his character will be forever forged as steel. You will be proud. Whether he serves a career or leaves the Marine Corps after his first enlistment, he will forever be a Marine. Semper Fi
    S/F Brother Russ

Credits
    Savings
    I was going to quote all of post #14 ,but decided against it.

I'm not the oldest Marine on this site, and hopefully wont be the oldest for a long time yet to come.
    Your son will return home , different than the way you raised him.. This time the difference will be easier to notice due to the effect of our "Occupational Consultants"
    Refered to hereafter as rill Instructors.
    From the sound of it.. You've given them good stock to work with. You may tend to dislike the MarineCorps more as time goes by. Dont worry about it now. At times in your sons life, his views will modify and vary with conditions, But the one thing he will always remember will be MarineCorps Boot camp. Not all of it, but enough to tell stories the rest of his life. (One of the things as a Common bond to all U. S. Marines )
    Please believe it as i say it.. We all wish you and your son nothing but the best of luck.

Kermit the frog sang a song = "It's not easy being green"

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Thanks so much for this encouragement, and yes I look forward to my son
    achieving his goal and claiming the coveted title of US Marine. As a parent, sad that I may be that he's not home, I am honored and privileged. He knows that my prayers, spirit, and thoughts are with him, urging and encouraging him on all the way.

Thank you all for who you are, what you have done, what you do now, and Who made it all possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

I'm not the oldest Marine on this site, and hopefully wont be the oldest for a long time yet to come.
    Your son will return home , different than the way you raised him.. This time the difference will be easier to notice due to the effect of our "Occupational Consultants"
    From the sound of it.. You've given them good stock to work with. You may tend to dislike the MarineCorps more as time goes by. Dont worry about it now. At times in your sons life, his views will modify and vary with conditions, But the one thing he will always remember will be MarineCorps Boot camp. Not all of it, but enough to tell stories the rest of his life. (One of the things as a Common bond to all U. S. Marines )
    Please believe it as i say it.. We all wish you and your son nothing but the best of luck.

Oh you've given me such a good laugh with that 'occupational instructor' thing and the Kermit song. Haven't laughed like that in weeks, and probably a bit of pent-up madness and hysterics leaking out as well. I do feel better though. Some time ago when my son announced his hopes to become a Marine, I watched a few videos on youtube, viz, drill instructors and what they do. I have to say that as a viewer I was stunned, frightened, and entertained though I'm sure the recruits under their charge weren't. Don't mind saying those drill instructors are scary looking, and I hope no one is offended when I say they actually do resemble bull dogs. I will never look upon those hats and belts the same way again.

Thanks for your strong advice and encouragement!

Credits
    Savings
    There is a Chat feature here on Leatherneck that may or may not prove to be a benifit to your mental health; your need for entertainment, or weather reports from parts of the world not intended to be visited by the "Common Man".
    Someone will be more than willing to help you and familiarize you with the features
    and functions in CHAT.
    Just turn your sound up a little , go about your reading/posting in forums and you'll hear George Jetson theme when someone enters... Easy to know when someone has "tripped the wire" and there is new meat in the cage.

Credits
    Savings

My favorite pastime now is listening to the stories that my son has to tell about Boot, and espicially about the DI's. He said his Killhat just reminded him of a shark, and his sole purpose was to create chaos...He looks back on Boot now as one of the best times of his life

Credits
    Savings
    There is a Chat feature here on Leatherneck that may or may not prove to be a benifit to your mental health; your need for entertainment, or weather reports from parts of the world not intended to be visited by the "Common Man".
    Someone will be more than willing to help you and familiarize you with the features
    and functions in CHAT.
    Just turn your sound up a little , go about your reading/posting in forums and you'll hear George Jetson theme when someone enters... Easy to know when someone has "tripped the wire" and there is new meat in the cage.
    Hello,

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, but you sound offended by me or think I am mocking those here, judging by your comments to me. That is far from my intention. I promise, you, I will no longer trouble anyone here.

Thank you all to those who replied to my posts. I am deeply grateful for your help.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by nycpatriot View Post
    Hello,

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, but you sound offended by me or think I am mocking those here, judging by your comments to me. That is far from my intention. I promise, you, I will no longer trouble anyone here.

Thank you all to those who replied to my posts. I am deeply grateful for your help.
    I don't think that was his intention at all...he was just letting you know of a "chat" room to possibly help you get thru this...at least that is how I took it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    I don't think that was his intention at all...he was just letting you know of a "chat" room to possibly help you get thru this...at least that is how I took it
    You are correct Marine Mom - m14ed is just being helpful, Marines simply have a different way of talking.

It's been said that the only people who truly understand us are other Marines and our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    Agreed, no ill will intended. Just the "dry" delivery of a typed text.

Credits
    Savings
    You are correct Marine Mom - m14ed is just being helpful, Marines simply have a different way of talking.

It's been said that the only people who truly understand us are other Marines and our enemies.
    OK that is what I thought advanced...Hopefully she gets back on and checks the comments. Sounds like she is having a rough time.

Credits
    Savings
    The best thing you can do is to send him as many letter's as you can! We (Our Marine's Mom & I), would send him 3-4 per week, sometimes more. When he messed up on the firing line and was put back a week (this happened week away from the Crucible). We immediately wrote, then drove the letter's to the post office (late at night), so they'd be mailed the next morning. All we told him to was we ALL mess up, to not give up on himself, to know/understand what his mistake was, to remember and learn from it, and to keep on keepin' on! To finish his "mission"" to get through Boot Camp.

Now he's in MCT at Camp Geiger (where I believe ALL graduating Marine' go after their 10-day leave). We're going down the 8th to be there for graduation). He'll rarely get to a phone, as they're mostly in the field, but write anyway. Understand the mail will go through Camp LeJeune first, then Camp Geiger where there are 50k+ Marine's, and very few mail clerk's.

Where our Marine is going after MCT, we have no idea! He went in on an open contract, so he'll be going where he's needed by the Corps, which could be anywhere!

Credits
    Savings
    and functions in CHAT.
    Sorry she Mis-understood me.
    Sent her an email, if that doesn't work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Guess i do sound "UNIQUE" ???

Thread Information