Recruit dad here
Create Post
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Recruit dad here

My son is on T4 at Parris Island. He was in DEP for almost a year and is entering as Reserve. His goal after training is college and PLC for a commission upon graduation.

I'm on a couple of other forums, but this one seems to be where there is some real knowledge. So, if anyone has something to say about this, I'd appreciate it.

We did discuss this with our recruiter - he's a great man, but sometimes just a little hazy about the details that I was looking for. And that's OK. My son understood that nothing is guaranteed until he proves himself worthy and is accepted. He understands that and is gung ho to do the work that's right before him, right now.

Welcome Don!

If you would like to post your questions on here, we Marines would be happy to help answer any that we can. There are some former recruiters and drill instructors that frequent these forums as well and will likely be able to shed some light on those hazy answers your sons recruiter provided.

Anyways, welcome again and keep us posted on your sons progress!

I thank you for the welcome. My first question is about the process for getting accepted in PLC. His test scores (sorry, I do not know the acronym name of it) evidently led the recruiter to suggest that.

What we were told is that it is not required to BE a Marine to get in, but, it is a very positive factor in the selection process. Since my son had no idea of what he wanted to do in college anyway, he saw this a a goal to strive for.

I told him that he had to understand and accept that he is now obligated to his service, regardless. He absolutely did understand that.

I think he was to have some interviews before he left for PI. I don't know if that happened or not.

One other general question - on other boards we are cautioned to be discrete about discussing out recruit's business. I have a little progress report already; but I hesitate to share it, in case it might make things more difficult for him.

What guidelines do I need to be observing in how much I share?

You made a good point on "doing the work" before him, because first he has to work, to transform into a Marine. I cannot think of anything else I wanted to do since I was around 12 or so years old. I am not sure why I had to join the Marines, but I did. I think seeing the Attacks in Beirut, Lebanon 25 years ago had something to do with it.

What matters is he has to work for it and when he puts that effort into it he will become a Marine. Nothing is clear or certain and a recruiter being hazy may just be due to the ever changing world around us and other variables. Boot camp is tough on some and tougher on others, but the mental toughness and transformation is probably the most important. He will do some growing up quick there in Boot. He will have to work with people from differnt colors, cultures, regions and ideals with a purpose of serving the Nation, protecting it, and the people who call it home. I cannot think of anything more honorable than that pride and responsibility that comes with Service in the Marines.

If he makes that his goal, not for self but for his country, he will gain more out of it than he can dream of and that will steer him in right direction for life after the Corps. He will always have to work before him, even after Boot. You never stop being a Marine, even after your contract expires and you are dishcharged honorably.

Sfdsmokeeater

Everything you need to know about PLC (the dates for classes are off, but the general info is there). Welcome and keep the questions coming. We are all glad to help!!

http://www.carolinamarineofficer.com/PLC.html

Gunz out ~

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Always good to see another of us dads here Don. The Marines here are indeed a wealth of information. What I like the most is that they are direct and to the point about answering.
    As far as information sharing, I wouldnt be to concerned about sharing most any news while your son is at boot. The guys like to hear about recruits trials and tribulations. Remember they have all been there so I doubt your son will be unique in his experiences. Except the uniquness shared by wanting to become one of the Few and the Proud!
    Good luck to your Recruit on his journey towards Marine.
    Watch out for the Grunts here though.. they are a fiesty bunch! LOL

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I didn't find this site until after my son became a Marine, I was also on other forums. I must say though, I truly love this site, I don't post much, but do a lot of reading and everyone here seems to be very helpful as well as very, very supportive. The pride you will feel on Graduation day can not be put into words. Good luck to your son and welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by sfdsmokeeater View Post
    If he makes that his goal, not for self but for his country, he will gain more out of it than he can dream of and that will steer him in right direction for life after the Corps.
    Sfdsmokeeater
    OOH-RAH

Just between us, I look at our political situation with dismay and some dread for the future. I see my fellow Americans going along in blissful ignorance about what this country is about and whence the blessings of liberty flow. But, I look with confidence on what the Marines are all about, not only as a fighting force, but as a preserver of the values that formed and so far, have preserved this nation.

An 18 year old's goals are somewhat limited by lack of lived experience. My son can say "serve my country" with the best of 'em. Now, he begins to learn how to walk the walk.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsDad View Post
    I wouldnt be to concerned about sharing most any news while your son is at boot. The guys like to hear about recruits trials and tribulations. LOL
    OK. Here goes. We received the form letter with address on Wednesday. There is space for a note and he wrote, "I'm guide."

I told that to a Marine I work with and he rather dismissed it. Said, "One day the DI hired and fired the guide every two hours." Our recruiter, otoh, was very pleased and excited when I told him about it.

So, I guess I need to ask what gives with this? How is that position assigned? What is the job description?

Quote Originally Posted by SupChf View Post
    Everything you need to know about PLC (the dates for classes are off, but the general info is there). Welcome and keep the questions coming. We are all glad to help!!
    Outstanding. Yes. All the answers are there. But, I'm going to hang in here, anyway. It looks like a great board!

Thank you, sir.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsMom View Post
    I didn't find this site until after my son became a Marine, I was also on other forums. I must say though, I truly love this site, I don't post much, but do a lot of reading and everyone here seems to be very helpful as well as very, very supportive. The pride you will feel on Graduation day can not be put into words. Good luck to your son and welcome aboard!
    Send him ALL the mail that you have time for. We averaged over one per day. Send news, jokes, pictures, and be creative.

You will see on Graduation Day. The Corps knows what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    OK. Here goes. We received the form letter with address on Wednesday. There is space for a note and he wrote, "I'm guide."

I told that to a Marine I work with and he rather dismissed it. Said, "One day the DI hired and fired the guide every two hours." Our recruiter, otoh, was very pleased and excited when I told him about it.

So, I guess I need to ask what gives with this? How is that position assigned? What is the job description?
    Don,

It is true, that the guide position for each platoon in bootcamp is highly coveted by all recruits who want to excel and be recognized. It is also true that the Drill Instructors will change the guide on a whim or when ever they feel is appropriate. Many times, it is because they want to see what each individual has as far as leadership qualities when they are given the opportunity. The fact that your son was given the guide position this early is a good sign that he impressed his drill instructors but keep in mind that this early in boot camp, the chances of him loosing the position are increased. Tell him that if that happens, keep his head up and press forward. In my experience, the real guide for the platoon, the one that will finish as guide and be promoted meritoriously rises to the top during the rifle range where he is a good shooter and pt's well. As long as he stays motivated and continues to excell, he has a real good chance of recieving the position back later on in boot camp.

Regarding PLC, one of my best friends went through it following college. We were freshman together when 9/11 happened and I dropped out and enlisted in the Marine Corps. He stayed and after his junior year, he went through the summer program for PLC. Then following graduation the next year, he finished the course and was commissioned a 2nd Lt. He's now a 1st Lt learing to fly Harriers in Mississippi...needless to say, I'm jealous

Long story short, your son doesn't have to be a Marine to go to PLC. Once he graduates bootcamp and has some time in the Corps, he can apply for MECEP (http://nrotc.ou.edu/mecep.html) and if he's accepted, he'll go through the Naval Academy and pin on 2nd Lt. PLC is the other obvious option if he decided to get out and finish his college.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's my understanding that this thread in the Pool(ee) Hall is informative regarding the PLC program:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35882

I'm not a parent, so I can't imagine how it feels to go through the experience from that perspective, but my buddy Josh (joshtky here on leatherneck) left Sept. 8, he is on T40 today -- it's rifle qual time for him. I know I'm pretty darn proud of him.

Good luck to you and your recruit on the journey, I've read it's quite a roller coaster for parents.

Thanks to all for the prompt and very helpful replies.
    I am very grateful for the ability to connect with people who know the ropes.

Thread Information