Preparing for boot camp.
Create Post

Preparing for boot camp.

I want to be the best i can be so i chose to be a United States Marine. What i really want to do is be a Recon Marine and thats what my question is about. im only 16 so i know i have a long time to prepare but i hear that recon training is harder than anything. After ive overcome the challange of boot camp what do I need to do to get ready for recon? Any tips or suggestions on to help me get ready for boot camp and recon training would be greatly appriciated. Thank you for your service Marines and God bless.

Besides being in top physical condition, you must also be an outstanding swimmer (similar to the Navy SEALS). Depending on your swimming ability and stamina in the water, this may be an area you need to improve in.

Remember to enjoy your highschool years; they only come around once (and go by way too quickly as you'll learn).

Don't you have to be selected for Recon?

Quote Originally Posted by jp2usmc View Post
    Don't you have to be selected for Recon?
    Unfortunately no, you can go as a contract recon. But Im guessing that if you get dropped you dont get remediated its like everything else after you have tried and failed its needs of the Marine Corps after.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Marines. Thank you for letting me know and if you have any tips on getting ready that would be great. Like what kind of excercise program I should do and stuff like that. Thank you again and I know it will be tough but I know i can do it cause I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...And the motivation of a DI inches from my face screaming at the top of his lungs.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 06-26-12 at 07:32 AM. Reason: How about Marines, not guys. The Marines who are going to answer your questions have EARNED the title.

Anything that strengthens your core (cardio to get your heart rate up and sustain it for 30 minutes, upper body and abdominal strength).

Running for both speed (sprints) and distance (cross country). Get used to running with a stopwatch and beating a time (it is not a liesurely run for fun).

Swimming for distance and endurance/stamina. Learn to hold your breath for as long as possible. Work up to swimming with gear on (put a weighted belt on and add weight to it as you get stronger). Goal is to be as comfortable in the water as possible (you'll spend a LOT of time in the water working hard; not just floating around).

Thank you for the tips and thank you for your service. I will work hard and enjoy high school and see any other 16 year olds in San Dieago mcrd

Thread Information