Infantry vs. POGs...distinguish them? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    Yeah,sure, I guess we should take away Recon's black watch caps and chest full of gold devices, and the Green Beret from SF guys, and the Budwieser from the SEALs, cause , you know, god forbid someone be recongnized for higher training and specialized skill.
    if you want to feel special that's on you

but graduating SOI does not qualify as "higher training and specialized skill". follow ons like jump school, dive school and whatever, sure. but special recognition just for being a grunt? lol, sure thing

hey, I'll make a deal with you. I will back you 100% on only grunts getting crossed rifles but all my new chevrons and sewing of my uniforms comes out of your pocket. gravy? doesn't really matter to me but I'm not going to inconvenience myself because a small handful of 03s don't get enough hugs

edit: RAH

TUN TAVERN AA CUNNINGHAM SEMPER DEVIL HUNDEN

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My last two years in the Corps I spent behind a desk and it was a relief.

Last Marines funeral I was at was a POG KIA, A Buddy of mine (retired CWO4) nearly got his leg blown off in a rocket attack in Iraq (purple heart). This whole debate is retarded.

You have been in the Marine what, not even two years. I doubt seriously that you know a lot about combat. I was a supply pog, I earned a CAR and I never heard the expression pog or remf in combat. Please feel free to kiss my ass.

Q. How do you know if a Marine is a grunt?
    A. He'll tell you.

...then he'll get on leatherneck.com and post a topic about how grunts should be segregated from all the un-pure Marines.

Really? I understand the destiction and why they want it. I am a "POG" as Grunts would call it, BUT I have more time behind M2 .50cal, MK19, M249 SAW and 240B then most of the grunts I know from Pendleton, Hawaii and Japan. I've been to Iraq twice, done security patrols, foot patrols, security convoys, logistic convoys. My recruiter WHO WAS a YATYAS Marine, I'm a GRUNT on WHEELS! I have the up-most respect for infantry man that EARN their Cockiness and have gotten blown up and shot at like myself. We are ALL Marines, we all support eachother and we are all fighting together. GRUNTS are not the BACK BONE of the Marine Corps, CPL's and SGT's are. Withouth them JR's wouldnt know what to do or how to train. There for that is the only distinguishment that was needed. The blood Stripe and SNCO rockers! thats my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by SSgtRSD View Post
    Rather than debated this topic further, I will pose a question. Why do you (a Marine Infantryman) want further distinguishment?

Speaking only for myself, with 20 years as an infantryman - to answer your question "Why do you (a Marine Infantryman) want further distinguishment?"

I don't.

I think the whole argument is pretty immature.

We all wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on our uniforms to distinguish us as different. We don't need a special patch, badge, device, or beret.

Before any grunts get on here and say they "deserve" special recognition, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Since when in the Marine Corps has it been about what you deserve?

2. Grunts are the tip of the spear and do the bulk of the fighting, and therefore should be distinguished -- well, when was the last time you sat through an enemy artillery barrage? When was the last time you hunkered down under an enemy air strike? (There are a few Marines on LN that can tell you what it was like.)Why do you think that is? Without the cannon-cockers or air wing, how long do you think it would take for that stuff to re-emerge if we didn't have the capability to put that threat down?

Sure, being a grunt sucks - and it's the kind of suckage that makes us proud of who and what we are. Not everyone can be an infantryman, and not everyone wants to be one. That alone should be enough.

After 20 years as a grunt, your back and knees must be shot!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went through squad leaders school ... of all things there was a clerk in the class. He had worn out 3 full issues of charlies but still had his boot issue cammies. Had no freakin idea how to pack a pack or even how to carry one. Never rode a helo or an am-trac. Also the unit he was with had a waiver for NBC qual, Rifle qual and Swim qual. Nuff said

Why would you want special recognition for being in an 03 MOS? In the Marine Corps additional achievements are recognized by having a skill that separates you above others. Not to be condescending but an 03 requires the lowest line score that an MOS in the Marine Corps has to offer. Dont think that I believe only the lowest scoring Marines join the infantry, but that is the only requirement. Has anyone ever failed ITB and been sent to another MOS? I think this feeling of being recognized is only shared by a few members of the 03 community. When I was walking around with an HK-416 in civvies most of the 03 guys wanted to know who I was. Just from pogs prospective though.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    When I was walking around with an HK-416 in civvies most of the 03 guys wanted to know who I was. Just from pogs prospective though.
    Enough said right there

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I went through squad leaders school ... of all things there was a clerk in the class. He had worn out 3 full issues of charlies but still had his boot issue cammies. Had no freakin idea how to pack a pack or even how to carry one. Never rode a helo or an am-trac. Also the unit he was with had a waiver for NBC qual, Rifle qual and Swim qual. Nuff said
    I have ridden in a trac, helo, etc. I've done all of those quals in my POG unit, because I had waivers when I was with 1/4. I also have several pairs of cammies.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Remington Raider Hey how many Marines@ Devil Doc's got Wasted so that U could Sport that PUC on Ur Chest Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I guess this discussion has disolved into a every Marine is an 0311 discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I guess this discussion has disolved into a every Marine is an 0311 discussion.

No I never said that. I just said I have more than one pair of cammies.

Anyways. As I told my SSgt before. If it ever gets to the point that I am ridding in a trac/boat/whatever to assault an area, because all the grunts are gone, then we have clearly been ****ed up by whomever we are fighting. You may even say we have all but lost.

My job is to get the grunts commanders internet. If they use it for tracking the enemy or sending email, I don't ****ing know.

I do know however, that I get paid just the same, get the same discounts out in town, and get to watch the play-by-play of the Panthers games, assuming I don't have a strong enough connection to stream it.

I'm pretty sure that Charlie Sheen would call that WINNING!

Thread Information