Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 29
Create Post
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast
    I did my 13 months on Hill327 at the ammo dump 66-67.
    Dog patch wasn't off limits to us, made 2-3 trips a week down there for beer and pussy.
    Took me 40 years to get back there. I lived in Thailand for 5 years and been in the PI for 16 months now. Ive made 3 trips to VN since 2006. Love the place. Tried to get back up to the hill but theres no way. All taken over by the VN army.
    dogpatch resembles nothing like it was back in the day. But then again nothing in VN looks the same. You could hardly tell there was a war there. I might try living there for a spell.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Hill 327 & Dogpatch

Hey pfotoguy. I was at the H&MS 11 Bomb Dump in '68. I must have just missed you. I remember Hill 327, but the fog of time has set it back in my memory. Where was it in relation to Freedom Hill... or were they one in the same? Our dump bordered Dog Patch, and it was your typical Vietnamese back water vill in those days. I'm sure that it's very modern now. Vietnam was always beautiful.. a tropical paradise, except for the damned war You seem to be living the life that you enjoy, and I am so glad for you. I always said that I would one day go back, but that will never happen. You have to have the bucks to do so and, after raising five children, I am just out of time and out of cash. Good Luck to you, Marine. May the wind always be at your back, and the sun shine on your face. Semper Fi!
    John Zaffino Godfather 1013

Quote Originally Posted by pfotoguy View Post
    Dog patch wasn't off limits to us, made 2-3 trips a week down there for beer and pussy.
    Took me 40 years to get back there. I lived in Thailand for 5 years and been in the PI for 16 months now. Ive made 3 trips to VN since 2006. Love the place. Tried to get back up to the hill but theres no way. All taken over by the VN army.
    dogpatch resembles nothing like it was back in the day. But then again nothing in VN looks the same. You could hardly tell there was a war there. I might try living there for a spell.

Quote Originally Posted by pfotoguy View Post
    I was there Jan - Dec '68 next to 3rd Amtrak at Marble Moutain, guarding the I-Corps Navy comm site....think it was called Sea Anchor.......when I could, I would make a trip to your dump (I think north of the runway) for a case or two of M16 ammo that I used to attack 55 gallon drums and any other object in the Danang dump (base of MM) that was perceived as a threat, then back through Non Nuoc village, then 3rd Amtrak and back to the comm site. You guys would only give me cases of tracers.....what a mess, kept me busy cleaning that poor M16A1!

Went back in 2003, amazing transformation.....almost unregonizable, houses and big trees where there was nothing but sand and red dirt....love the place now! Take care man!

John

Hey pfotoguy. I was at the H&MS 11 Bomb Dump in '68. I must have just missed you. I remember Hill 327, but the fog of time has set it back in my memory. Where was it in relation to Freedom Hill... or were they one in the same? Our dump bordered Dog Patch, and it was your typical Vietnamese back water vill in those days. I'm sure that it's very modern now. Vietnam was always beautiful.. a tropical paradise, except for the damned war You seem to be living the life that you enjoy, and I am so glad for you. I always said that I would one day go back, but that will never happen. You have to have the bucks to do so and, after raising five children, I am just out of time and out of cash. Good Luck to you, Marine. May the wind always be at your back, and the sun shine on your face. Semper Fi!
    John Zaffino Godfather 1013
    I was there Jan - Dec '68 next to 3rd Amtrak at Marble Moutain, guarding the I-Corps Navy comm site....think it was called Sea Anchor.......when I could, I would make a trip to your dump (I think north of the runway) for a case or two of M16 ammo that I used to attack 55 gallon drums and any other object in the Danang dump (base of MM) that was perceived as a threat, then back through Non Nuoc village, then 3rd Amtrak and back to the comm site. You guys would only give me cases of tracers.....what a mess, kept me busy cleaning that poor M16A1!

Went back in 2003, amazing transformation.....almost unregonizable, houses and big trees where there was nothing but sand and red dirt....love the place now! Take care man!

John
    It seems funny now but when I was there it seemed like a beautiful place, (other than the fact people were trying to kill me) The first night I was there we had a sniper attack and a round missed my head by about an inch. I could feel the wind and hear the crack as it wised by my head. from that moment on I knew this was some serious ****.

I go back now and the people r so friendly. at least the young ones. A lot of the old ones still remember. Its strange to go through the Museums and see their side of the "American War"

At any rate if you can go back its a healing experience. And it was called Freedom Hill

Who Reembers Dog Patch

Hey guy's I must be a little older than a couple of you I was at the foot of 327 from Jule 65 until April 66, but I was mos 1833 Amtrac, but you sure bring back a lot of memories, you are the first that I have heard from that was close to the hill at the same time that I was. Thanks Bazzy and 3531Marine for the memories, Keep in touch will you, ain't many of us old salts left, but I just had a grandson graduate from the island on 10 28 11 he will be in artillary, he will be ok, I taught him all that I could about saving his ass. take care bros and keep in touch. SemperFi . MELVIN1833

I was there from Dec.'65 to Sept.'66, with 13th motors, assigned to the bomb dump and hauled bombs, gas, ammo, refilled aircraft, bombs to and from the dump to the ready line revetment, and when I was busy, I did everything in between, like green bag patroll, clearing roads, and looking for Charlie. Memories of Dog Patch, Hill 327, the city of Da Nang proper, all bring back some good things and bad things. Survived mortar attacks, sniper fire, lucky for us then they didn't do the IEDs, or RPGs. Was shot at hauling bombs from the LSTs to the base, and could see the rounds bouncing off the bombs. A once in a life time experience, I recommend for everybody that wants a little excitement in their lives.

Hill 327

Hill 327 and Freedom Hill were the Same-Same, for those who forgot. I was there 1968-1969

Dogpatch Danang? Yeah, I remember it . . . lol

Quote Originally Posted by bulwark View Post
    Was shot at hauling bombs from the LSTs to the base, and could see the rounds bouncing off the bombs. A once in a life time experience, I recommend for everybody that wants a little excitement in their lives.
    Got to love the way you turn a phrase.
    I was with 11th Motors 70-71. I watched a video that someone shot from a scooter posted here somewhere a year or so ago, coming out of Danang, past Freedom hill through the old 1St Mar. Div. HQ area and up on the ridge. I drove those roads every day with a 5-ton, and barely recognized any of them in the video, and that road going up to the ridge was barely wide enough for the scooter the guy was riding!
    I imagine two things have changed over time, those roads, and my memory.
    Semper FI.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Click image for larger version

Name:	REMF_STORE.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	9288.........is THIS the "REMF" store that all of you NUMBNUTS hung out at?????......"WAR IS HELL"......?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    Attachment 9288.........is THIS the "REMF" store that all of you NUMBNUTS hung out at?????......"WAR IS HELL"......?
    How ya been Doc. Yup, even saw Bob Hope out back of that place ... from about 100 feet on the outside of the concertina wire

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....LARRY, heard that some real "quality" USO shows were set up there!!.....

That's the Place DocGreek,A case of Beer was about $3.75 US for Bud Wiser or was that for Pabst Blue Ribbon? Cold Beer,warm beer was nice to have.A Dodge Charger was about $2500.00 from the hill PX.Don't remember much Else.First Med was across the Street.There was No Liberty in Dog Patch when I was there Sept 68 to August 69.The Marine Tour was for 13 Months.I left Vietnam on the First Mount out in Late July or early August of 69.So August would be 12 Months for Corpsman or was it also 13 Months.Don't remember,cant remember anything on C Battery or was that B Battery.I was Fading fast.A nice Plane ride to a Japanese U.S.Hospital would have probably been better than a Boat ride back to the U.S.A.But atleast on the Tortuga,I was still with my Brother Marines.What's another Gamma Globin shot to them.They Played David Peel's "Up Against the Wall Moda Fukers"Never heard that album in the Marines. SEMPER FI ALL............

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    ....LARRY, heard that some real "quality" USO shows were set up there!!.....
    Yes, I believe they did the only one that I saw was the Bob Hope thing, in December of 70 ... at least they said it was him, kind of hard to tell for sure from that range

I seen his show in December '65 Hope and Ann-Margret Had a front row seat, never did see the movie through.

Thread Information