MOS 1812, M1A1 Tank Crewman
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MOS 1812, M1A1 Tank Crewman

I've searched the boards thoroughly and haven't really been able to find some info on the 1812 MOS, Tank Crewman. I'm wondering if there are any Marines on this board who have had this MOS and/or know someone who has and can fill me in on some of the things it entails. I'm trying to choose an MOS and this one stuck out at me.

My recruiter told me it's a pain in the ass because you'll be in a hot tank with a bunch of other guys, but you do maintenance and stuff on your tank a lot which can be good when you get back to the civilian world. I'm just trying to find some insight on the job from people who have experience with it. Thanks.

the school is at Ft Knox, Ky for now an Army base it is going to move to Ft Benning in 2010 or 2012 the Marines I talk to here say they like the course. you may go here to see if you can find more http://www.knox.army.mil/

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not a tanker and I don't play one on TV. My bro just left Ft Knox to go back to LeJeune. He was an instructor at the school there and worked on re-writing the cirricula which is the guideline for training Marines to be tankers.

No one can tell you if you'll like it. Your recruiter is correct that it's heavy hot work and tanks don't come with comfy sleeping quarters. If the war continues you are very likely to deploy to it. My bro is about to go for tour #3 in the near future.

As far as a civilian job goes, yes if you are going into a mechanic field, especially big diesels, then you will get some practical experience.

If you have a more specific question, I will get you a specific answer.

C

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate138 View Post
    I've searched the boards thoroughly and haven't really been able to find some info on the 1812 MOS, Tank Crewman. I'm wondering if there are any Marines on this board who have had this MOS and/or know someone who has and can fill me in on some of the things it entails. I'm trying to choose an MOS and this one stuck out at me.

My recruiter told me it's a pain in the ass because you'll be in a hot tank with a bunch of other guys, but you do maintenance and stuff on your tank a lot which can be good when you get back to the civilian world. I'm just trying to find some insight on the job from people who have experience with it. Thanks.

I've never been a tanker, but I have had the (mis)fortune to spend some time inside of one. The quarters are cramped, it isn't comfortable, it is hot, and you are the biggest target on any battlefield. Not my cup of tea, but you may love it.

The Discovery Channel did a documentary about tank school a few years ago. If memory serves, 9/11 happened while they were filming. It airs from time to time on the Military Channel, see if you can find a copy.

Thanks for your insight Marines, I appreciate the comments.

I'm in tanker school right now if you have any questions pm me.

Credits
    Savings
    sapper101,

I used to live in Schenectady. Did you meet GySgt Jones, Kevin? He left there about 2 months ago.

SFi
    C

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Your recruiter sounds like a pud and an office pogue. Riding in a tank sure beats walking everywhere. I served in a tank unit in the reserves near Tallahassee, Florida during the first Gulf War. I will tell you this...you will work hard and play hard in a tank unit. If you are interested in tanks try looking at AAVs as well and maybe even LAVs. It won't relate to anything in the civilian world so if that is your goal in choosing tanks, well you'll be SOL trying to find a "civilian" tanker job.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    I've never been a tanker, but I have had the (mis)fortune to spend some time inside of one. The quarters are cramped, it isn't comfortable, it is hot, and you are the biggest target on any battlefield. Not my cup of tea, but you may love it.

The Discovery Channel did a documentary about tank school a few years ago. If memory serves, 9/11 happened while they were filming. It airs from time to time on the Military Channel, see if you can find a copy.
    Biggest target? Well, from a physical standpoint, yes that is true. Deaths in tank units during the GWOT are few and far between. All that armor you know... There also isn't another tank that our foes(Russians, Chinese etc) have which can match up with the M1A1. It was quickly found out that the Russian T-72 was a POS that didn't have the range or accuracy of the M1A1. It's comforting to know that the enemy doesn't have the armor to match you or the range to hit you from your max standoff limits.

In Memorium:
    First casualties of OIF were tankers, but not from direct fire.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    In Memorium:
    First casualties of OIF were tankers, but not from direct fire.
    Yeah because the Marines had the hardest task of breaching the berms going into Kuwait back in 1991.

Still, if I couldn't have been in tracks, tanks would have been next for me. I haven't heard much about too many tanks being totally knocked out even from an IED. Oh, I know they have, but consider the casualty rate for tankers and then the rest of the guys who were not in tanks.

Do you carry a rifle with you when you're in a tank? I mean the space is probably cramped already in there... and I know every Marine is a rifleman, so I'd figure even tankers would carry an M16.

Also, does being an 1812 include manning the .50 caliber machine gun on the tank? Also, if I chose the 18xx field, what would be the chances of not getting the 1812 MOS?

Credits
    Savings
    Do you carry a rifle with you when you're in a tank? I mean the space is probably cramped already in there... and I know every Marine is a rifleman, so I'd figure even tankers would carry an M16.

Also, does being an 1812 include manning the .50 caliber machine gun on the tank? Also, if I chose the 18xx field, what would be the chances of not getting the 1812 MOS?

I beleive there are rifle racks inside the Abrams, but...
    Who cares about an M-16 or a .50 cal if you get to shoot a f****n' tank's cannon?

And, in the event of chemical warfare, if you get your hatches secured, you are airtight. Added bonus.

Credits
    Savings

Yes, you have rifle racks in the tank. SNCOs carried .45s back in the day when I served. I assume that it's 9mm now.

Ok Marines thanks for your responses but I still have one more question that's been unanswered. If I go into the 18xx field what are the chances of me actually getting the 1812 MOS?

Thread Information