Tricks for Boot
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tricks for Boot

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Tricks for Boot

Are there any tricks and trades to surving in boot,like i heard a few like shave in the shower and eat your food fast and i heard one like carry a shaver with you and shave during the day.My dad was in the AF and he said how they use to shower with shampoo instead of soap,because your soap had to be spottless.

Im all ears

move fast,scream loud,don't **** your buddies.because everything in bootcamp,hell the Marine Corps is mass punishment "one fails,we all fail" trust me...alot of you will fail at least once.

Speed, Volume, Intensity.

Run everywhere. When a Marine tells you to do something, scream "AYE SIR!" and run and do it. Remember that "aye sir" is the proper response to when you are given an order. "Yes sir" or "no sir" are responses to questions.

Just always do exactly what they say, and pay attention. The things they teach you will follow you to the Fleet. You need to know them.

Like Cwalling said, don't f*ck over your buddies. It is a small Marine Corps, and you will run into some of the recruits from your platoon in the Fleet (provided you do earn the Title). I have ran into about five or six guys just from my platoon in the Fleet. Don't f*ck them over, because they will probably remember it.

Don't take a razor with you unless instructed to. But i do recommend shaving before lights in the morning.

Its going to be easier to develop and exercise tricks of the trade as time goes on. When you get there, don't cut any corners...for the first phase anyway. They like it there way or no way. As time goes on into the later phases they give you more leeway for things like shaving before lights.

If you know your PTing the next day and they say have a jock on, put one on either before lights or before you go to sleep. Same thing with socks. Again this varies for every DI, and is easier to do in later phases. They like to dress you themselves first phase.

Some things that might seem like common sense really end up being tricks. People get there and want to write letters for the whole hour at night. Use that time for what its named for. Square away time. Fix your gear, get your **** ready for the next day, organize your footlocker....then write letters. Trust me it will be much easier on you.

Become, or make good friends with the scribe. He makes the firewatch roster.

Lots of good advice from the LCpl. Definitely figure out who controls the firewatch roster and make sure he thinks highly of you. Help out your fellow recruits, don't slack off during things like field day.

Hmm -- I regret not putting out as much as I could have during PT/IT. One guy came into our platoon as a fatbody and left as the 3rd highest PFT. I believe he lost ~40 pounds in that 3 months.

Sound off!

Yeah we had a kid lose 50+ lbs in boot camp. I believe it made him eligible for some sort of surgery that took away all the loose skin, since he lost so much weight in boot.

One thing I recommend. Wake up an hour or so before reveille in the morning to use the head, shave, brush your fangs, all that good stuff. You won't have much time to in the morning.

Always put out in PT and quarterdecking. Yes, it hurts a lot, and it will be easier at the time to cheesed*ck it, but in the end it will pay off immensely to just put out as much as possible.

Like I said, just do everything you're told right away, and try your hardest to learn everything quickly. Study on your freetime, and get your gear squared away first thing during your hour each day.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MARK your s***, especially your skivvies and cammies so that you will for sure know it's yours. It will save you from having to buy and lose so much, and save you from losing your own blouse and having to get a large-long to get your name tapes on when you wear small-reg. Doing laundry was so much stress, especially because they always came back still soaked. On your square away time and when lights go out and your DI makes a trip around the squad bay and goes into duty hut, hang your wet stuff up on the rack (take them back for hygiene inspection and before lights come on.)
    Like what everyone said, wake up early and get some stuff done, like make a head call because once lights come on you really don't have time. I always automatically woke up when the moment last fire watch banged the hatch to wake up the DI and the duty hut lights came on.

Soap had to be spotless in the AF. Thats a good one. Maybe its because they drop the soap quite a bit.

When you get to Boot Camp, it will be "TRICK OR TREAT"

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What is the Scribe or Firewatch?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinL91 View Post
    With all due respect, I typed - Scribe or Firewatch - in the SEARCH thingy and got 306 hits in 0.57 seconds.

The scribe is the person in the platoon that takes care of anything writing related for the platoon and they set up the roster for fire-watch. (Think platoon secretary) If you have good penmanship and some intelligence then you have a shot.

Fire-watch is essentially guard duty and it comes in shifts of variable lengths of time. Usually in recruit training it's only an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Soap had to be spotless in the AF. Thats a good one. Maybe its because they drop the soap quite a bit.
    Either you told a clean statement or I have a very dirty mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    Speed, Volume, Intensity.
    THAT is all that anyone needs to know. That will take you through boot.

Are there any tricks and trades to surving in boot,like i heard a few like shave in the shower and eat your food fast and i heard one like carry a shaver with you and shave during the day.My dad was in the AF and he said how they use to shower with shampoo instead of soap,because your soap had to be spottless.

Im all ears
    That will never work.

Thread Information