The Marine Corps Chow Hall - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vietvet1968 View Post
    I stand in " AWE " reading some of the comments about being served food in the chow hall. Surely some of my BROTHERS on this site enlisted before me and went to P.I. ( 28 May 1965 ).
    When we were in line at the chow hall, it was with our tray held directly in front of our face and when coming to the server the tray was lowered to a special level and it and arms extended straight out and retracted when the item was placed on the tray. Arriving at our table we all stood with our trays straight out at attention until other recruits filled the table. Then one of the DI's would come over and yell, " Ready, seats ". Many times repeating this telling us " girls " to get it together. I DID NOT ATTEND A " BOOT CAMP " WHERE ANYONE CHOSE THEIR FOOD but instead seldomn got to finish it.
    I am shocked beyond believe to read the contents of the chow hall post.
    This thread isn't about the chow hall at boot camp, you get far more and better chow at boot camp than anywhere else anyway.

Credits
    Savings
    That's a NewCorps Question.
    With a lot of (GREAT) Old Corps Answers.

[m14ed] 7:02 am: we ate good , i gotta say that , other than sometimes starving in the field.
    But that was due to the conditions , not the policy

Be glad you get to eat, on that note, the Salad Bar is unlimited as far as I know, if you want more veggies, start at the salad bar, second if you want more starch, again at the salad bar, it usually is stacked with pasta salad, if you want more protien, hit up the cottage cheese. Just be aware of how much dressing you use.geeze, I dont see any argument at the chow hall except they need to stock Tabbasco not Texas Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by dback13 View Post
    Thing is, you can go up as much as you want. You just can't pick the combo of stuff you want.
    This is correct.
    It's a human behavioral thing.

Have you ever made the mistake of going grocery shopping when you are hungry? What happens? You get to the check out line and have a $400 grocery bill because you put the entire store in your cart.

The same principle applies to dining. When people come through the line, they are hungry, and when they see all this good food, they want some of everything. 90% of them, however, aren't actually hungry enough to eat a portion of every single thing being served on the line.
    What happens is they get halfway through what is on their plate, yawn, loosen their belt, stretch back contentedly, and decide they are full. This equals huge quantities of left-overs which equals wasted food.

You DO rate seconds. This ensures that you are actually hungry enough for more food and it won't go to waste, because you have to finish what you already got first before going back to get more. This prevents waste of food.

Make sense?

As an aside, you are always free to fill out comment cards for your mess hall experience, and I assure you they absolutely ARE read, taken seriously, and result in corrective action.

Credits
    Savings
    Agree with Viet Vet on Boot chow hall
    those maggots are lucky to get any chow

Once in the Fleet the standard was take all you want-ear all you take

Quote Originally Posted by Vietvet1968 View Post
    I stand in " AWE " reading some of the comments about being served food in the chow hall. Surely some of my BROTHERS on this site enlisted before me and went to P.I. ( 28 May 1965 ).
    When we were in line at the chow hall, it was with our tray held directly in front of our face and when coming to the server the tray was lowered to a special level and it and arms extended straight out and retracted when the item was placed on the tray. Arriving at our table we all stood with our trays straight out at attention until other recruits filled the table. Then one of the DI's would come over and yell, " Ready, seats ". Many times repeating this telling us " girls " to get it together. I DID NOT ATTEND A " BOOT CAMP " WHERE ANYONE CHOSE THEIR FOOD but instead seldomn got to finish it.
    I am shocked beyond believe to read the contents of the chow hall post.

SEMPER FIDELIS BROTHERS,
    Vietvet1968@comcast.net
    Roger Dale Stewart
    Roger, you are absolutely right as far as bootcamp and the messhall. I think, the original post referred to after bootcamp (I could be mistaken)

My memory has faded over the years....SOS was the meal I craved, don't know why...prolly something to do with a hangover. Cured it every time.

I didn't like it when the 'Corps contracted our food services to civilians, seems now you have to pay for your food in the chow halls and the food isn't that good as it used to be. There was a time back in 1969, when the division CG would come around and inspect the messhalls on the base and changes with the food quality were changed for the better. If you have to pay for your food now, it makes sense that it should be for free and you should be able to take as much as you can eat!. oldmarine2011

Quote Originally Posted by AKA HITMAN View Post
    My memory has faded over the years....SOS was the meal I craved, don't know why...prolly something to do with a hangover. Cured it every time.
    Indeed ! Liked making it, liked eating it. Fact is I still make it after all these years, and my kids and grandkids often request it for chow.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine2011 View Post
    I didn't like it when the 'Corps contracted our food services to civilians, seems now you have to pay for your food in the chow halls and the food isn't that good as it used to be. There was a time back in 1969, when the division CG would come around and inspect the messhalls on the base and changes with the food quality were changed for the better. If you have to pay for your food now, it makes sense that it should be for free and you should be able to take as much as you can eat!. oldmarine2011

Messhall Memories

OK, all these posts have served up a lot of memories for this Ol Marine Cook ! During my time in the messhall (1962-65) I recall we served up some darned fine chow 99% of the time....steaks, chops, soups, multiple salads and baked goods. I know for a fact that we NEVER served powdered eggs, or powdered milk....it was always fresh, even when we were cooking out in the field. Back then, we took a lot of pride in what we put out on the chowline. I do recall one instance when some boot 2nd Lt. was OD, and as was the custom, he came in and wrote his comments on the days worksheet, regarding the meal. He wrote "Unfit for human consumption" ! Well, our Mess Sgt. read that, and went ballistic....tracked down the Lt., and insisted he change the comments, and apologize to the cooks....which he did !
    We always knew when the troops were happy, because they were *****in' about the chow. When we hit Okinawa during our 13 month FMF Far East tour, all we heard was..."Why can't we have chow as good as we had at Pendleton ?"...and then when we got back to Pendleton it was...."Why can't we have chow as good as we had in Okinawa ?"
    If the Marine messhalls are now being run by civilians, its a shame...you can't get any better that a good 'ol Marine Cook. Speaking for myself, I was very proud to be a Marine Cook, and I still enjoy cooking today....almost 50 years later, and I thank the Marine Corps for teaching how to cook.
    Would love to get my hands on an original set of Marine Corps Messhall Recipe Cards for the 1960's....we had some great recipes. And, if there any other Marine Cooks out there, would love to hear from you !
    OK, putting down my spatula, and shutting up now....Semper Fi Marines !

I remember a sigh at the chow hall, "Take all your want but eat all your take". And I always did, on both accounts.

Credits
    Savings
    Saw the same sign at ITR. I thought I would never finish the tray full. Never saw so much food!!

Quote Originally Posted by HOWARDROARK3043 View Post
    Hey Lazy Ass Boot ----why Dont You Just Go Up For Seconds Or Thirds------ boots want to argue about everything,, till they get pimped slapped old school style
    Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun9544 View Post
    OK, all these posts have served up a lot of memories for this Ol Marine Cook ! During my time in the messhall (1962-65) I recall we served up some darned fine chow 99% of the time....steaks, chops, soups, multiple salads and baked goods. I know for a fact that we NEVER served powdered eggs, or powdered milk....it was always fresh, even when we were cooking out in the field. Back then, we took a lot of pride in what we put out on the chowline. I do recall one instance when some boot 2nd Lt. was OD, and as was the custom, he came in and wrote his comments on the days worksheet, regarding the meal. He wrote "Unfit for human consumption" ! Well, our Mess Sgt. read that, and went ballistic....tracked down the Lt., and insisted he change the comments, and apologize to the cooks....which he did !
    We always knew when the troops were happy, because they were *****in' about the chow. When we hit Okinawa during our 13 month FMF Far East tour, all we heard was..."Why can't we have chow as good as we had at Pendleton ?"...and then when we got back to Pendleton it was...."Why can't we have chow as good as we had in Okinawa ?"
    If the Marine messhalls are now being run by civilians, its a shame...you can't get any better that a good 'ol Marine Cook. Speaking for myself, I was very proud to be a Marine Cook, and I still enjoy cooking today....almost 50 years later, and I thank the Marine Corps for teaching how to cook.
    Would love to get my hands on an original set of Marine Corps Messhall Recipe Cards for the 1960's....we had some great recipes. And, if there any other Marine Cooks out there, would love to hear from you !
    OK, putting down my spatula, and shutting up now....Semper Fi Marines !
    Spoken like a warrior. Semper Fi Marine!

Thread Information