Do combat engineers ever really see combat?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do combat engineers ever really see combat?

I am still debating on an mos when I enlist, and I thought becoming a combat engineer would be interesting. The building things, explosions, and all that would be cool to do, but I still want to have the chance to really experience some combat. I know that some combat engineers get attached to infantry units, which would be the way to see that combat. What I am wondering is how could one be sure to get attached to an infantry unit, or at least see combat oversea's in some way? Thank you Marines for any advice that you can give.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    I am still debating on an mos when I enlist, and I thought becoming a combat engineer would be interesting. The building things, explosions, and all that would be cool to do, but I still want to have the chance to really experience some combat. I know that some combat engineers get attached to infantry units, which would be the way to see that combat. What I am wondering is how could one be sure to get attached to an infantry unit, or at least see combat oversea's in some way? Thank you Marines for any advice that you can give.

Why do you think they're called "combat engineers"? More than likely you would be assigned to a fleet engineer battalion. From there you might deploy with your whole battalion, or in companies, platoons, or squads. Every MEU that goes out takes a platoon of combat engineers with them.

As a CE you could see more combat than you want to, or none. Depends on where you go and how the deployment schedule works out.

I am still considering infantry, but I figure if I become a combat engineer I can learn a trade for a possible future civilian career, and get at most SOME of what it's like to be a grunt. I'm not trying to compare the two mos's but I'm sure that they are at least similar in some ways.

Oh, and I was wondering. When I look at pictures of combat engineers working they rarely ever are equipt with a rifle or even a sidearm. It makes sense that a sling around them with a rifle would get in the way of work, but to CE ever actually carry a rifle, or are they just backed up by the grunts that stick with them?

Well you always have over-watch if you are working a site in a dangerous area. But the rifles are close by were they can easily be reached incase ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    Well you always have over-watch if you are working a site in a dangerous area. But the rifles are close by were they can easily be reached incase ****.
    If you wanted to wear a pistol on your hip or something would you be able to, or do you need prior permission?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    If you wanted to wear a pistol on your hip or something would you be able to, or do you need prior permission?
    If you NEED a pistol, you will be issued one. Otherwise, no pistol. No personal firearms allowed.

Well that does it for my answer on this one. Thank you Marines for all of your input.

I'm a combat engineer, I've seen combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamelink83 View Post
    I'm a combat engineer, I've seen combat.
    I know this is pretty personal, but how often is that? I mean the more info I can get the better.

As often as you get shot at. Jesus kid just go infantry if you want to make sure your getting shot at. If you want other things besides that then pick Engineer. Yes we do get shot at every now and then, we do RCT, build roads, bridges, buildings. All depends on your unit and their job

Ya you are right. A lot of people want half and half and are to scared to be infantry, but I just want to learn a trade like engineering for if I wanted a civilian job later.

I was never scared to be infantry i just thought becoming it was retarded. Have my body fall apart in a matter of years and have no skills leaving. You cant put do 30 mile ruck marches on most resume. Sounds like u made up your mind anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    I was never scared to be infantry i just thought becoming it was retarded. Have my body fall apart in a matter of years and have no skills leaving. You cant put do 30 mile ruck marches on most resume. Sounds like u made up your mind anyway
    No, no. I understand. I haven't made up my mind about anything in the Marines yet except for being a Marine. Trust me I'm still thinking. It's either infantry or combat engineer. I have yet to make the choice on which i wish to be. I'm sorry if it sounded like i was calling you scared, I just ment people that actually are scared. It wasn't aimed towards you at all Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    There is no PERFECT MOS in the Marine Corps.
    Bragging Rights go to the Grunts.
    Some of us who Trailed along
    were in various stages somewhere between
    laughter and tears, sometimes even considered
    panic -one time or another.-
    Be carefull what you wish for, you may just get it.

Thread Information