Problem with MEPS score mistake
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member CTguy1955's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Problem with MEPS score mistake

When I told my Dad I was joining the Army in 1972, you would have thought I said "Im taking off to Canada so I dont have to serve" as I broke his heart.
    Dad was 17 and on Iwo with the 4th Marine Div. So while I may have gone
    in the wrong direction, my heart was in the right place. I have a big problem with my Son, Daniel Warren Kelly....who lives, breaths, and dreams of military service. Dan had trained his body and mind to be military sense he was 14 and wanted to be a Army Ranger. Special Forces of any kind would have suited him. He passed everything with flying colors, and we 9 days away from DEP pay of 20K and going to boot camp. 4 guys jumped him from behind, and hit him and it swelled up his eye........he had to wait for swelling and bleeding to go down before MEPS would look at him.
    His right eye has really great vision, much better then normal, but the left eye that was hit isnt great, but he scored a 4 with meps, and I guess 5
    is perfect, but some how the paperwork says he is a 3. He had to wait 6 months to go back to MEPS, and two days ago, they called and canceled his appointment with no explanation.
    Dan and I have been shooting M1 Garands and Remington 700's 30.06 and Kimber .45's for years and he is a really great shot. Dan is 6'3 and really in great shape, he would look really great in Marine Blues !!!!!! Poster Child Quality !!!
    So my Dad Paul J. Kelly was a Marine, and my Father in Law, Bernard Weiser was a Marine, and if either of them were alive, they would know people who can help my Son with MEPS screwing up the paperwork, and keeping my son from enlisting.
    Sometimes its not what you know, but WHO you know, that can make a small difference, and I dont know anyone. I have written my congressman and Senators, but email I get back says it may be weeks before they can reply or even read my plea.

If anyone here knows anyone, I would appreciate some help so much, and Dan is a team player who would be a real asset to the Marine Corps.

1-203-675-7020 is Dans Cell phone number. If ever someone had heart, its Dan...Im not saying it just because Im his Dad, He wants to be special forces more then life, and back during my day when many were told either they went to Jail or joined the military, the selection now is of more highly skilled and brighter men, and Dan is just that.

http://www.museum.nps.gov/spar/vfpcg...ABASE=46560834

The above link is to the Springfield Armory, where my Father in Laws
    Rifle is. The work he did in research and development in the Marine Corp
    eventually became the M-14, but he knew many high ranking Marines, who could have helped me, but they are probably all Passed away now.

Im sorry Im going on and on...I will stop now, I am pleading with anyone
    who can help as this is only a paperwork error on MEPS part, and computers are screwing with him. He has taken the same test 4 times,
    and they told him He could be a pilot (high score, before eye injury)
    and Im just worried he will be lost in the system and the Service will loose out on a valued human being to WANTS to be in combat helping others.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Michael Kelly Sr (dans brother has been in the air force for 2 years as a policeman in New Mexico guarding Nukes) Dans other Grand dad
    was in St Vith during the Battle of the bulge, so the entire family has a long history of service to this beloved Country of Freedom.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dans Military Family

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    He should be working with MEPS through the recruiter. Has he talked to his recruiter about the appointment cancellation?

MEPS canceling appointments isn't rare and sometimes it's just as benign as they've overbooked the day. Talk to your son's recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Recruiter, recruiter, recruiter.

Just do it, NOW.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Recruiters say MEPS is a seperate facility with many civilians working there, the cancellation was not a one time thing, its like that saw he was a number 3 (instead of
    the 4 that he is) and just decided to not even see him.

Computer error or something very strange going on........

Thanks for your help.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went on a MEPS site and got the vision requirements:

Vision
    Vision must be correctable (with glasses) to a minimum of one of the following:
    (1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.
    (2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.
    (3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.
    Current near visual acuity (367) of any degree that does not correct (with glasses) to 20/40 in the better eye is disqualifying.
    Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying
    Can you please tell me what your rated at? Also I read where you can be given a WAIVER by the Military service you join, not meps????
    I contact cris dodd, joe liberman and mike murphey about you, and I contacted a marine named Kelly who is running for office in another state out west.
    Love You
    Dad

Dan wrote me back and told me his tested by meps vision scores:

Dan Kelly July 22 at 7:31pm Report
    Thankyou dad. The vision is my right eye is 20/17, the vision in my left eye is 20/70. im rated as a "3 P", when i should be a "2 p"
    love you - dan

So I was wrong about the 4 and 5 stuff, it ended up being 2P

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CTguy1955 View Post
    Recruiters say MEPS is a separate facility with many civilians working there, the cancellation was not a one time thing, its like they saw he was a 3P (instead of
    the 2P that he is) and just decided to not even see him.

Computer error or something very strange going on........

Thanks for your help.

I corrected the info about his eyesight and what his rating is.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

not just a cancelled for the one day

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    He should be working with MEPS through the recruiter. Has he talked to his recruiter about the appointment cancellation?

MEPS canceling appointments isn't rare and sometimes it's just as benign as they've overbooked the day. Talk to your son's recruiter.

This was not just a cancel for the day....they looked at his records and saw the 3p instead of 2p and just told him not to come, as the computer
    error made them feel he was not qualified. This is a big problem and he
    is getting no where with the recruiters in New York, and I think he is giving up as he has gone back 4 times for the same written exams, and he feels they do not know what they are doing at MEPS..... When He applied for Army Ranger school and got the guarantee, He was top tier in mental and physical and when the army told him he had to wait 6 months to retest, He
    went to the Marine Recruiters and they told him they could get him in right away as a Marine (don't know the proper term, would be a equivalent to the National Guard) and then once he got through boot camp, he could apply for active duty. COMPUTER ERROR at Meps made the recruiters go
    nuts and they cant get around anything, and now dan is so frustrated as
    he could have almost two years active duty towards his 20...He wants to
    make it his Job for life......and time is running out. He is going to college, so
    as to not just wait and do nothing and is taking criminal investigation stuff.

Please if someone knows someone, this is just a travesty.

Sir, I am vaguely familiar with your son's case as I work in the office he is working with, but I am not his recruiter. I'm not fully understanding the issue. Why does his DD214 say RE-3P on it? Please feel free to send me a private message.

Or are you talking about the MEPS physical profile?

PULHES? E stands for eyes. Are you saying that profile should be a 2 and not a 3?

Perfect qualification on the P U L H E S profile is 1 1 1 1 1 1.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dan Kelly July 24 at 9:55am Report
    Well I have no paperwork, and what my recruiter is telling me now is that i have to fill out a "personal statement" so im going to NY to do that asap. I dont know why i need to fill out this personal statement but apparently thats why they cancelled my consult at MEPS. I have taken eyesight tests, and have sent in the paperwork that clearly shows that my eyesight is better than a 3, it is clearly a two. My phone is dead right now, as soon as i get the charger ill call you, it will be at some point today. thanks for helping me, Love you - dan
    I just received this email from Dan so I will let you know what is happening when I find out more...... Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!

Ok, I am 100 percent totally confused with this one.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Ok, I am 100 percent totally confused with this one.
    When the time comes, Lep, that you figure this **** out, PM me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

One Happy Dad

Dan just called me on the phone awhile ago and informed me that He got
    the results back from Meps after what only seemed like 3 weeks or so, and He has been excepted and will be getting a date to report in.

He and I are sooooooo Happy, as He has wanted this sense He was a
    little kid. Dreams can come true !!!!!!!!

Thanks Everyone for your Help and advice !!!!!!!!!

I will keep you updated on Dans where abouts !!!!!!

Thread Information