Hepatitis C as a Presumed Service Connection for Military - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Tedster,Just saw your Post on my E-Mail.Really Happy For You.No Sh*T.Thank GOD.100 days You can Do that standing on your head.God Bless You My Brother,and All that have HEP C-through no Error on a Soldier's Part.This Is Really Good News and I hope It Works for Everyone.In Vietnam everything is Sticky and Bloody.You Guys Should Be Compensated,You Didn't Do Nothing Wrong.It's the Nature Of Blood Pathogens-Themselves.Tedster,God Bless

Doc

The most common risk factor was the air gun injectors that we all got our shots with.

The VA conducted a test years back, Study 488, but will not admit that air guns are a risk factor.

I got sick via another risk factor they do list and was proven by what was found in my medical record.

There are guys out there who were treated in the field and the information was never entered into their record.

A presumption clause is needed but there isn't one congressman who will spend one cent of political capitol championing such a bill.

The VA might admit that air guns were a risk factor but not for another 30 years.

The new drug Boceprevir and Teleprevir seem to work along with the peg-interferon and ribaviran therapy but its 18 pills a day plus the shot once a week.

The side effects are brutal but then again so was combat and we went on with it then so this is just another battle to me.

11 weeks to go, 83 days and I will have conquered this, God Willing!

Stay strong guys,
    Ted

Ted , It,s good to hear from you.I still pray for my brothers going through this battle.I only hope they all come through as well as I did. Not very easy to continue , but when it,s over all said and done you,ll be glad you did. I know there were times when I thought I,d give up ,but with the help of friends and family I was able to over come the disease. God be with you!!!! L/CPL Wayne Whitaker

As I said Tedster,I never shot one of those air guns-There were plenty of them,when I went through Navy Boot Camp.We spoke of this Prior.Definitely,see the Air Injecting Gun as a Culprit.Never the less,Tedster,your Doing it.May you and All Our Brothers be Free of This Killer........SEMPER FI and GOD Bless.

CDC advisory

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    As I said Tedster,I never shot one of those air guns-There were plenty of them,when I went through Navy Boot Camp.We spoke of this Prior.Definitely,see the Air Injecting Gun as a Culprit.Never the less,Tedster,your Doing it.May you and All Our Brothers be Free of This Killer........SEMPER FI and GOD Bless.
    Guys,

Now the Center for Disease control recommends everyone between the ages of 45-65 get tested for HCV.

They fail to say that veterans are 5 times more likely to be infected than civilians.

The CDC fails to talk about how air gun injectors were discontinued when a test for HCV came out in 1992, that is when the military went to single dose syringes. Why? Did they realize there was a problem?

3/4 of the way done with treatment. 9 weeks to go. I invaded this island in November. I fought my way up and over the ridge and am now in sight of the far shore. One last push. I shall prevail!

Ted

Here is a follow up.

I'm getting short!

I have 47 days left on this triple therapy, 18 pills a day and a shot once a week. I've got 6 more shots to go.

I've developed mild pancytopenia, a diminished ability to produce red and white blood cells I think. Also a cotton wool spot in left eye.

Doctors might adjust my meds I will see them on the 21st.

I just want to get through this nightmare but I've got this island under control.

Quote Originally Posted by 2599108 View Post
    Ted , It,s good to hear from you.I still pray for my brothers going through this battle.I only hope they all come through as well as I did. Not very easy to continue , but when it,s over all said and done you,ll be glad you did. I know there were times when I thought I,d give up ,but with the help of friends and family I was able to over come the disease. God be with you!!!! L/CPL Wayne Whitaker
    Wayne,

How did you make out with your 6 month after treatment SVR test?

I'm at 33 days to go.

Be well,
    Ted

It's about time,you guys get recognized,for Hep C.Never Liked those Jet Gun Injectors,had plenty of shots,from them but never have used one.Remember the Attitudes of these Corpsman that were giving these shots.Sometimes a person would be cut open by the pressure of these injector guns.It's about time,the VA should Honor,our Veterans that Served,that have been Inoculated,by Blood Borne Pathogens.Idiots,that what you Deal with,after Fighting for Your Country .YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING.......God Bless.

The VA doesnt make the rules and regulations. Congress does. Write them to have the laws amended.

Been there, done that.

I sat 6 feet from Bob Filner and explained the need for presumption for veterans with HCV who did not get it by their own willful misconduct. Explained how the list of risk factors must be increased to include casual contact with blood, like a fistfight, or blood on training gear. How Study 488 neds to be revisited as it is too narrow in scope.

Answer, Be patient it takes time to get things done for which I agree but not one rep will champion a bill to get veterans compensated. Sad.

The good news is we have new medicine that has a high percentage rate for the cure at the VA now.

31 days of treatment left but I'm up to my hips in the swamp that surrounds this stinkin' island. I can smell victory just ahead of me now.

Ted

Got done!!

Guys,

I finished treatment on August 29th.

I completed the 3 med regiment on July 26th.

I am still virus free as of Sept 17!!

I will not be given a SVR (Sustained Viral Response) until the end of February.

I will have another viral count (HCV-RNA) in December. Hopefully the virus will remain non-detected.

All in all I am optimistic that the triple therapy worked because the doctor said he'd be able to tell by now if the virus was back and it is not!

If anyone has any ?'s just ask as I've been through it.

Semper Fi,
    Ted

way to go Ted,,,, I knew you could do it. I,m glad everything looks good for you. Keep your head on staight and look forward. L/Cpl Whitaker

My brothers,

I was tested on December 11. That is three months after the end of my treatment with the three regiment medications, peg-interferon, ribaviran, and protease inhibitor.

I took a total of 4410 pills and 41 injections of interferon over the course of 41 weeks.

It was like invading an island and fighting to kill, not capture, every enemy that was dug in on that island. The VA gave me the weapons and I did the fighting just like in Nam.

I was picked up on the beach on August 28. Recon went in on December 11 to see if I killed every last one of the enemy.

Here is the report: NON-DETECTED

I won this battle but will have to wait another three months to get the final clearance. At that point I will be considered cured by the VA. If the virus had come back it would have shown up in this last test. I am convinced that the treatment worked but I must say it was brutal brothers.

So, if you know of anyone with this hepatitis C virus let them know that the new treatment works. I know this because I failed treatment in 2005 with just the 2 meds.

I was in the first group of 25 at my VA clinic to get the new treatment and so far we all cleared after the 3 month test.

God gave me the best Christmas present of all, my health back!

Be well my brothers,
    L/Cpl Ted

OoRah! I am so happy that the treatment worked for you. I know the Hell you went through. I went through the same thing only the treatment did not work for me. There is new treatment on the way (2-3 years from now) that I am looking forward to. My prayers are with all of my Marine Corps brothers that have this disease. Do as Marines do... Fight! Fight! Fight! and never give up! Semper Fi!

Thank you for your support throughout the years. It truly helped
    me.

There is a new treatment in the works that does not require taking the interferon.

If and when that comes along it will be a blessing.

Have you talked about the new Bocepriver or Teliprevir (protease inhibitor) treatment with your VA doctor? I did not have a positive result in 2005 either but this time it worked but it was brutal.

I know you have the fight hopefully new weapons will come along that will work for you.

Just know this brother, I will be in your corner!

Semper Fi,
    Ted

Thread Information