Hepatitis C as a Presumed Service Connection for Military - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2599108 View Post
    I was denied comp for AO.Even though,I watched as they sprayed the mountain side.We didn,t know what they were spraying,but it hit us in a fine mist.Later found out what was going on.They said that because I didn,t have heart problems,I didn,t qualify.I was north of DaNang about 11 milesv when that happened.Later find out it was the heaviest hit area for ao. I was there in 1970and 1971. Check Agent Orange web sites maybe able to help you better. L/Cpl Wayne Whitaker
    ....I spoke about this on the Post in the past.They Sprayed every Monday and It smelled like Soup & Greens in Chicken Soup.It was Kind of a Brown Mist-East of the Flight Line at !st Marine Air Wing.This Occurred very often in 1969.I can still remember the smell and taste of it.I wonder If RocketMan can remember this.

Week 10

Guys,

After 4 week lead in with Peg- Interferon and riboviron bugs declined from 4 million to 50,000.

After another 4 weeks with bocaprevir added bugs are "non-detectable"!!

The total course of treatment for me is 36 weeks so 26 more to go but I own more than 25% of this island, all the enemy on the surface are dead and now it's a mop up operation to root out the little bastards trying to hide from this ****ed off Marine with a flame thrower.

I have great weapons but... they leave you weak, kinda' like taking 2 shots of interferon per week if you can imagine that. My red blood count is below normal too so I'm tired physically but tell myself about how tired I'd be in any long sustained battle.

We are going to win this battle my fellow Marines because we have better weapons to fight with so screw being tired, I'm fighting on dammit!

Your brother,
    Ted

Ted Your In My Thoughts And Prayers Brother.

Semper Fi And Godbless

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Way to go JARHEAD, I knew you could do this. After all you are the "MOST DEADLY WEAPON ON EARTH"!!!!!! It,s not an easy victory, but you are very capable.My treatment was not as agressive as you,rs,so I can,t say I know what you are feeling.I know it,s not easy.Hang in there my Brother,may God be with you. L/CPL Wayne Whitaker.

Guys,

Thank you for all of the support.

I will let everyone know how it goes for me.

I feel it is best to be open about this illness because it is one of those that no one wants to talk about because of stigma.

I say screw stigma and only care about helping one another get well.

My wish is for everyone to go to their doctor and ask to be tested for HCV. The only way to really know if you are infe4cted is to ask to be tested. It is a cheap inexpensive test. In fact just go donate blood and you can find out that way as they test blood when you donate, I hope anyway!

Will the VA ever admit that so many of us Viet Nam vets have this disease because we were all given our vaccinations with air guns?

Will HCV ever be listed in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) as an infectious disease? Everything else is listed at 38 CFR 4.88b even HIV but not HCV. That's crazy.

Anyhow, the battle continues as I took shot 11 last night. 18 pills each day. FEED THE GUN!!

Ted

I do not forsee them adding it in our lifetime. There are to many cases of it running around inside of our Correctional Facilities.
    Best of luck with your treatment. I've had a couple of fellow officers go through it.

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK0331 View Post
    I do not forsee them adding it in our lifetime. There are to many cases of it running around inside of our Correctional Facilities.
    Best of luck with your treatment. I've had a couple of fellow officers go through it.
    Hawk,

You are right about the VA ever admitting that air guns were the cause of the disproportionate amount of Hepatitis C among Viet Nam veterans, as many as 1 in 20 and that is conservative. That is because there is no political capitol in it for the politicians. Because of stigma no one cares about veterans with HCV.

I've lobbied to have the list of risk factors increased because the VA Study 488 is way to narrow in scope to set policy by.

Now, with the new medication, protease inhibitor, the cure time is 28 weeks for those never treated before so the costs are down. Curing someone is less expensive than liver transplants and end of life care.

Every veteran should ask to be tested because there are no symptoms and that is why it is called the "Silent Killer".

Be well,
    Ted

Speaking of stigma...My VA Doc basically told me to say I was undergoing chemo for cancer, instead of Hep. C. I race offroad and happened to say why I wasn't racing and said Hep. C. Wrong answer, I was ostracized by a few of these Texas Hillbillys who in all their braniac glory, saw that Hep. C. was also transmitted thru gay sex. And thats all they saw, Hell, i went along with it for shats and giggles and politely,but firmly asked to vacate the message board...No shame in my game, truth hurts some folks, and frankly I could give 2 shats less. Hope all goes well with you, I'm still in remission 6 yrs. later.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA HITMAN View Post
    Speaking of stigma...My VA Doc basically told me to say I was undergoing chemo for cancer, instead of Hep. C. I race offroad and happened to say why I wasn't racing and said Hep. C. Wrong answer, I was ostracized by a few of these Texas Hillbillys who in all their braniac glory, saw that Hep. C. was also transmitted thru gay sex. And thats all they saw, Hell, i went along with it for shats and giggles and politely,but firmly asked to vacate the message board...No shame in my game, truth hurts some folks, and frankly I could give 2 shats less. Hope all goes well with you, I'm still in remission 6 yrs. later.

Hitman,

Good to hear from you brother!

I agree about the stigma. Folks think you are automatically a junkie or a fag, real Einstein's.

The only reason I was open about it was because I advocating for veterans. Lost many friends doing that.

I'm service connected for being with too many loose women and one got me sick over in Nam or in Bangkok or in Sydney or Okinama or Mexico or...you get the picture.

I'm quite about it now here where I live and only a few souls know I'm in treatment. That is why this site is important to me. I feel like I'm with folks who care and open.

Your remission gives me great hope.

Thanks for your comments and enjoy your riding!

Later,
    Ted

Mine was actually from a jet gun, not tattoos or the junkie life which I did for a spell after I was discharged. Either way, I got it and dealt with it. Evidently the time frame I went in had a bunch of Marines diagnosed later in life. Never understood how I did'nt have symptoms till I went in for a physical, then the 26 months of fun began. Doc told me to not work (another story) and lay low and do a moderate amount of physical activity. That was hell as I do a lot of outdoor crap. Guess I got used to it, now I find myself taking it easy and trying to soak in the simpler things in life like raising a 4 yr. old grandson....right.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA HITMAN View Post
    Mine was actually from a jet gun, not tattoos or the junkie life which I did for a spell after I was discharged. Either way, I got it and dealt with it. Evidently the time frame I went in had a bunch of Marines diagnosed later in life. Never understood how I did'nt have symptoms till I went in for a physical, then the 26 months of fun began. Doc told me to not work (another story) and lay low and do a moderate amount of physical activity. That was hell as I do a lot of outdoor crap. Guess I got used to it, now I find myself taking it easy and trying to soak in the simpler things in life like raising a 4 yr. old grandson....right.
    Hitman,

Sounds like you've finally found peace.

i found out in 2004 from a physical I went for. Had elevated Liver Function Test? AST/ALT elevated above normal caused the doctor to check for viruses. I was totally dumbfounded when the results came back. Went from there. This is why I want all Vietnam Era veterans tested. I wrote are solution for the Vietnam Veterans of america and it reads that all VA medical facilities should follow th esame protocol when testing incoming veterans to the VA health care system. The VA has gotten a lot better about screening veterans for HCV. Go to VVA> resolutions. It's in there.

all we can do is have open dialogue and hopefully it will reach people.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy,
    Ted

Hey, Guy,s just checking in to see how you are doing.I,m back at work now.just took a week and road the Harley to Eunice ,La. had a great trip.All the shots and pills were worth the pain to get back to normal.You can beat this ,but it,s not easy.God bless you all,Still praying for you. L/CPL Wayne Whitaker 2599108

Week 24

Just started week 24.

I was non detectable after week 8 and 12 so an early responder.

Will have to complete 36 weeks all toll with 12 weeks of dual therapy after week 36 if I choose.

18 pills a day taste lousy but seem to be working.

I have less than 100 days left and will build a short stick soon.

I hope the others are doing as well.

How long have you been away from the meds now Whit?

God bless,
    Tedster

I took my last Meds Nov 16 2011.Started to notice hair growing back right away.Was feeling so good , I asked the VA Doc,s ,If I could get back to work.I went back to work on Jan 3rd 2012. Took it easy at first then got back to a regular routine.Worked a 60 hr week this week and I,m totally wore out .The first couple of weeks I could only work till early afternoon and was feeling like I had a 12 hr day behind me. I go back for my 6 month post treatment in May to check for any signs of the virus.Keeping my fingers crossed .Hope you do well with this treatment,I know it,s not easy .Stay strong!!!!! God Blees You....... LCPL Wayne Whitaker

Quote Originally Posted by 2599108 View Post
    I took my last Meds Nov 16 2011.Started to notice hair growing back right away.Was feeling so good , I asked the VA Doc,s ,If I could get back to work.I went back to work on Jan 3rd 2012. Took it easy at first then got back to a regular routine.Worked a 60 hr week this week and I,m totally wore out .The first couple of weeks I could only work till early afternoon and was feeling like I had a 12 hr day behind me. I go back for my 6 month post treatment in May to check for any signs of the virus.Keeping my fingers crossed .Hope you do well with this treatment,I know it,s not easy .Stay strong!!!!! God Blees You....... LCPL Wayne Whitaker
    Wayne,

I wish you all the luck in the world on your 6 month checkup.

Please let us know how you make out.

I just can't wait to be done at this point.

Later,
    Ted

Thread Information