A question about boot camp
Create Post

A question about boot camp

My name is poolee Mclain and I am a motivated 26 year old future Marine. I leave January 10th for a motivated island. Currently I can do 12 pullups max, 75 crunches, and my best 1.5 mile run is 12:23. I know I have a crapton of room for improvement especially in the run, but I am kinda curious how I would compare at boot camp to other folks. Being the old guy going to boot camp I am just really curious as to what other people at boot camp will be like fitness wise if you guys could tell me what your experience was I would appreciate it. I still have 2 months to really improve but I'm really wondering what the average fitness level of most people is when they go to boot camp.

For instance I can double time forever, but once the sprinting comes I am SOL. I'm a big dude and always have been (I am just at ship weight)...I am built like an ox, I am strong but slow, can work for the long haul but not swiftly like the scrawny kids straight out of high school. Heck out of high school the best I could run was 2 miles in 12 minutes but that was when I weighed 165 lbs and I have not weight that in 7 years.

Also, another thing in relation to the question about general fitness. I know what the IST standards are, but I am curious as to how they build you up starting at boot camp. I for one don't want a thermometer up my butt, please tell me that they will gradually build us up from the IST standards and not expect me to get a perfect PFT from day one.

Thanks for answering my questions, and thank you for your service, Oorah motivating Marines!

youll be fine. there will be fatter, more out of shape recruits than you, as well as pt studs. dont worry about it too much, your DIs will mold your physical fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
    My name is poolee Mclain and I am a motivated 26 year old future Marine. I leave January 10th for a motivated island. Currently I can do 12 pullups max, 75 crunches, and my best 1.5 mile run is 12:23. I know I have a crapton of room for improvement especially in the run, but I am kinda curious how I would compare at boot camp to other folks. Being the old guy going to boot camp I am just really curious as to what other people at boot camp will be like fitness wise if you guys could tell me what your experience was I would appreciate it. I still have 2 months to really improve but I'm really wondering what the average fitness level of most people is when they go to boot camp.

For instance I can double time forever, but once the sprinting comes I am SOL. I'm a big dude and always have been (I am just at ship weight)...I am built like an ox, I am strong but slow, can work for the long haul but not swiftly like the scrawny kids straight out of high school. Heck out of high school the best I could run was 2 miles in 12 minutes but that was when I weighed 165 lbs and I have not weight that in 7 years.

Also, another thing in relation to the question about general fitness. I know what the IST standards are, but I am curious as to how they build you up starting at boot camp. I for one don't want a thermometer up my butt, please tell me that they will gradually build us up from the IST standards and not expect me to get a perfect PFT from day one.

Thanks for answering my questions, and thank you for your service, Oorah motivating Marines!
    I turned 28 in week 4 of boot camp. You'll be fine. Just don't ship over weight. Try to be at least 10 pounds under, because the scales they use in boot camp are old and busted a.k.a. not accurate.

You don't really PT your first week there either (except for the IST) so don't eat like a pig. Stay away from the french toast+syrup, bacon, sausage, too much milk or juice (if you are trying to maintain your weight). Stick with the rice, hard boiled eggs, and fresh fruit (not the fruit in heavy syrup).

As far as building you up for PT, the short answer is you'll be fine and your DI's will take care of it. You will probably be quarterdecked plenty of times, although it sucks, look at it as training and free PT. Toward the end, you will be excited to get QD'd. Ya you know you're gonna get f'd up, but you'll survive (maybe lol). And at the end you will be stronger for it.

A lot of the PT that is not talked about is playing DI games. Running back and forth in the squad bay, moving fully loaded racks back and forth, marching everywhere, standing all of the time. Your feet will hurt for the first 2 weeks. You will have not stood that long in your whole life.

All of these games/training, in addition to your daily PT, will build you up for when it counts (humps, final PFT, swim qual, crucible).

As far as sprinting is concerned, of course try and be the fastest, but more than likely the high school track star what weighs 135 dripping wet will smoke you. The thing that matters the most is that you always put-out/try hard/give max effort all of the time. Never quit or show weakness. If they see you are wounded (mentally), the DI's will just stick their finger in that wound.

You've got pretty good pullups for not shipping yet. Most likely you will be in the 16-17 range when you graduate. Your run time will improve as well. If you want to work on it, do intervals. Jog a lap, sprint half a lap, jog 2 laps, sprint a whole lap etc.

I hope this helps, good luck.

See I was smart when I shipped off. I arrived well under weight which got me that precious double rations tag and I went on a feeding frenzy. I left boot camp 30 pounds heavier and was never hungry unlike my compadres. yesssss

Pcp

Thread Information