Is being in Infantry worth it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is being in Infantry worth it?

I shouldn't even have to ask this question. I know it's worth it, but I want the opinion of current and former grunts. I really want Infantry, and not because I want to go to war and kill and be cool like Rambo or some dumb reason like all those call of duty loving kids make up. No, I want Infantry because it's what people think of when they think of Marines. They're the very tip of the spear, and I wanna be a part of that. I want to have the camaraderie that grunts have. I know its a very tough life, but it seems like a rewarding one. My contract right now is 0200/2600, but if I can get that changed, I'd be thrilled. One problem is, my parents don't want me being an 03, and they know damn well I want it. They'd rather me choose something that transfers over to the civilian world. Also, I've talked to my recruiter about it and he seems hesitant about letting me go infantry. So, if anyone can share their experience as a grunt with me, and let me know if it's really worth it, I'd really appreciate it.

It's not the job itself that people hate it's the bullsh!t that goes along with it. When not on deployment or in the field aka actually doing our job, there isn't much to do. We clean sh!t A LOT, from weapons until they're so clean you're taking the paint off. We clean our rooms to retarded levels aka field day. We clean the ground aka police calling. After we do all that, we sit around and do nothing aka standing by untill you wonder why the fu*k you are still here. Garrison sucks...a fu*king fat cock. If it wasn't for garrison, I would love my job. Deployment is fun and if I could be on one for four years, I would.

In the end, I don't think it's worth it and there are way more fun without the BS mos out there. But in the end, I couldn't see myself as anything but a grunt. Oh and it's fun to make fun of pogs haha.

Quote Originally Posted by joey513 View Post
    I shouldn't even have to ask this question. I know it's worth it, but I want the opinion of current and former grunts. I really want Infantry, and not because I want to go to war and kill and be cool like Rambo or some dumb reason like all those call of duty loving kids make up. No, I want Infantry because it's what people think of when they think of Marines. They're the very tip of the spear, and I wanna be a part of that. I want to have the camaraderie that grunts have. I know its a very tough life, but it seems like a rewarding one. My contract right now is 0200/2600, but if I can get that changed, I'd be thrilled. One problem is, my parents don't want me being an 03, and they know damn well I want it. They'd rather me choose something that transfers over to the civilian world. Also, I've talked to my recruiter about it and he seems hesitant about letting me go infantry. So, if anyone can share their experience as a grunt with me, and let me know if it's really worth it, I'd really appreciate it.
    I have no idea why your recruiter is hesitant to reccomend the infantry, it is probably where you will end up in the beginning anyway. True, it does not prepare you for a civilian career like some other jobs do, but it will give you satisfaction no other career can. It will literally test your manhood. It doesn't make any difference about your present physical condition as long as you do not have any health problems. I only weighed 123 pounds and was in good physical condition for a 123 pounder, but I weighed 165 pounds when I was discharged two years later.

Although I was and still am proud of my service, I did not consider a military career. It simply was not my thing. One thought, Family life is much tougher in the military than it is in the civilian world. But it can be just as successful if both spouses work hard at it.

When I was discharged I had more confidence in myself than I would have had I if had pursued any other (machine gunner 604) branch. When I was discharged, I could have gone into any field I wished. The career I chose and practiced for over 50 years made me happy. I would have continued to work in that field for more years had health problems not demanded that I retire.

After four years if you decide the Marines is not a career for you, decide the direction you wish to purse, get a college degree, then go after your dreams. If you were successful in the infantry, you can do anything you want to do.

In addition to your career you will wish to be civic minded. I was a Lion, church worker, and a Scout Master for fifteen years. As a sunday school teacher or youth worker, I have never been sought our by a student who told me what a difference I made in their life, but as a Scout Master I still have men come up to me and tell me how I changed their life. Be diverse in your civic activities. Don't settle for one activity.

Today, I regret I was never politically avtice, except to vote.

Listen to your parents, mull it over, and then make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    It's not the job itself that people hate it's the bullsh!t that goes along with it. When not on deployment or in the field aka actually doing our job, there isn't much to do. We clean sh!t A LOT, from weapons until they're so clean you're taking the paint off. We clean our rooms to retarded levels aka field day. We clean the ground aka police calling. After we do all that, we sit around and do nothing aka standing by untill you wonder why the fu*k you are still here. Garrison sucks...a fu*king fat cock. If it wasn't for garrison, I would love my job. Deployment is fun and if I could be on one for four years, I would.

In the end, I don't think it's worth it and there are way more fun without the BS mos out there. But in the end, I couldn't see myself as anything but a grunt. Oh and it's fun to make fun of pogs haha.
    Things will get better. I seem to catch a lot BS in your post and believe you were just letting off steam. You must have had a bad day.

You'll come around after you have been a foxhole for a few weeks.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for your replies. And thanks Backhaus for a detailed description on what grunt life is like in garrison. It sounds like a tough life, and full of a lot of BS. I'm debating whether I should stick with my intel contract at this point. I still very much wanna be an 03. I don't wanna someday have that thought in my head asking "what if I went infantry?", ya know? Thanks again for the replies

joey513,
    Get in the habit of thinking for yourself. Don't let the prejudicial opinions of others matter more than good sound judgement that you are capable of yourself. Just because you are young and at the beginning of your Marine Corps journey does not mean you are at the mercy of only those with more experience. Being a grunt, a Marine grunt is second to no other MOS in my opinion. It takes a lot more personal comittment then just training. All others are in support of the infantry and it is the infantry that truly distinguishes Marines from all others. Yes, there is much training and yes, there is much between deployments that carries with it a high degree of what many call BS but your personal responsibility to be the kind of Marine that deserves the accolades of both the former and future Marines that are your brothers forever demands no less from you. If you really want it, go for it, but not because it's what others expect from you, it;s what you expect from yourself. As a former grunt and the son of a Marine grunt, with all of the baggage that accompanies those of us that saw combat, I would never wish for another MOS.
    Good luck and Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    Things will get better. I seem to catch a lot BS in your post and believe you were just letting off steam. You must have had a bad day.

You'll come around after you have been a foxhole for a few weeks.
    I actually lived in a foxhole in Feburary of this year...it sucked, but I'd rather be there then in garrison.

I lied...that was the worst month of my life.

Joey,

It seems you are getting advice from every corner, grunts, non-grunts and your parents. Look at all advice, then do what your guts tell you to do.

Incidentally, I spent a February and March in the foxhole. It was pure hell, and I suffered both physically and mentally, but I learned more about life in those two months than all of my other 84 years.

I don't care what you do, life will not be a bed of roses, but if you do what you want, it will be rewarding.

Good luck and God bless,

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you so much for all of your advice. I know this is what I want to do, and I'm gonna do it. The only problem now is trying to change my job. I already signed for intel. But I don't leave until July, so I'll see what I can do. Any advice on convincing my parents and my recruiter? Also, what if I cannot get Infantry because there are no slots? Thank you!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    no, that they are not! thanks dcb.

fair warning. there are going to be times when your going to want to shoot yourself in the foot for giving that intel contract up.. I had one, I did what you want, told my recruiter i wanted to do something more active....tried to get infantry and when i couldnt, I ended up getting artillery.

Now I love my job, with a passion, but I cant tell you how many times ive been sitting up on an OP in less than optimal weather, waiting for the gunline to be ready or in the middle of a 14 mile hump, wondering where Id be if I had stuck with the cushy intel job.
    Id definitely try and get an infantry slot, it will probably beway more fun. but im just giving you a heads up, your going to give up a lot of amenities and have some regrets when your living in a fighting hole

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    fair warning. there are going to be times when your going to want to shoot yourself in the foot for giving that intel contract up.. I had one, I did what you want, told my recruiter i wanted to do something more active....tried to get infantry and when i couldnt, I ended up getting artillery.

Now I love my job, with a passion, but I cant tell you how many times ive been sitting up on an OP in less than optimal weather, waiting for the gunline to be ready or in the middle of a 14 mile hump, wondering where Id be if I had stuck with the cushy intel job.
    Id definitely try and get an infantry slot, it will probably beway more fun. but im just giving you a heads up, your going to give up a lot of amenities and have some regrets when your living in a fighting hole
    What happened to that urge for adventure in your blood? Six months and already have some misgivings. Some of those Vietnam guys can probably tell you about a few discomforts in the infantry. You poor fellows won't even see what you are shooting at when you get deployed.

I spent time both as an assault Marine and an arm chair Marine. As far as I am concerned, you could taken that arm chair and shoved it.

Credits
    Savings
    I wouldn't think an Iwo Jima ASS-KICKER would ever be comfortable in an arm chair Bob. Semper Fi!

Was being a grunt worth it?

For me it was - but I knew a lot of Marines who wouldn't agree. They're the ones who, quite frankly, I don't think would have been happy anywhere and if they'd actually managed a lat move would regret it later in life.

Was it always fun?

Nope - not by a long shot. The suckage factor can be high - no doubt.

Would I trade my experience or do it differently if I had it all to do over again?

Not a chance. Being a Marine, and being an infantryman wasn't something I did, it was something that I became. It is something that I am, even though I've hung up my tree suit years ago. Become a Marine, and become a grunt for the right reasons and don't look back - take that first step and embrace it.

Being grunt you won't learn skills that transfer to a civilian job?

Bullspit. I'm in a position now to hire a lot of people, and by and large I'd pass over people with experience to hire an infantry NCO or SNCO and here's why.

First, the biggest skill that a grunt NCO brings to the game is their ability to get stuff done. Period. I can give you a task, you ask what support is available, timeline, etc, and then you execute and accomplish on time. A lot of your cilivian counterparts will take the task and ***** about this or that.

Thread Information