What are you doing now. - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Retired now. Just ordered a wood frame for a Jon Lodi poster of the Las Rambla in Barcelona. Going to the YMCA this afternoon. May attend a board meeting of my Rotary Club this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Hmmmm....

Dept of Army Police Sergeant 04-Present
    I applied for the Dept of Army Police. Thought I was a solid fit. I gave them my military resume showing my duties as a MSG w/ a TS clearance and a Corrections background in the Corps. Also I was in the Army Reserves as a MP and completed MP School w/ a secret clearance. Even gave them POC's to my old Command as references. Of course i got this from them " Your resume did not reflect the highly qualifying criteria the selecting official identified as necessary for successful performance in the position."

Right now I am unemployed and waiting to hear back from Northrup Grumman and also putting in a packet to get back into the Marine reserves and then hopefully go back Active Duty.

I'm not surprised. Unless your resume reflected....EXACTLY the wording in the hiring announcement....it won't make it through no matter WHAT you did/have done. Likely it was never even SEEN by a human being, the computer didn't find 'key words' it needed, so it got dumped and you got the standard rejection message.

What can I say, it's the army. Totally and completely jacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I'm not surprised. Unless your resume reflected....EXACTLY the wording in the hiring announcement....it won't make it through no matter WHAT you did/have done. Likely it was never even SEEN by a human being, the computer didn't find 'key words' it needed, so it got dumped and you got the standard rejection message.

What can I say, it's the army. Totally and completely jacked up.
    ha ha ha. I spoke with one of my former Soldiers I trained in MP OSUT who now works for the Dept of Army Police today and you just said the exact same thing she did.

Yeah...sux but it's true.

I was shocked at how fast it came back denied and the first thing I said was I bet no human being looked at that resume..lol.

And you were correct! IF you do another one, write yours direct from the job announcement. Including mis-spellings and wrong words. Stupid, but no human sees it, really, so it doesn't matter.

Ha ha ha. Will do.

Got out of the Corps, went out to the power plant complex with a high school buddy of mine who said I could talk to his boss about a job. Funny, when he first met me, he said my buddy told him I had just got out of the military...he then asked what branch, I told him "Sir, just got out of the Marine Corps"...he replied "You're hired" and told my buddy to find me something to do.

Worked my way from power plant laborer to nuclear plant operations, then fossil operations, now back at nuclear as a Work Week Manager (basically coordinates all plant maintenance, schedules for repairs, surveillance/testing, risk analysis, etc).

Another funny story...we had a meet and greet with a new plant manager years ago when I was in nuclear operations. We all sat around a conference table giving a basic description of background. Realize, I'm the only Marine in a department of ex-Navy nuclear guys/gals. The questions got around to me, I stated I was a former Marine. He laughed and asked "how did you sneak in here"! One of the guys on my shift replied "we don't know, but we're glad he did!". I told him I was there to make sure everyone did their jobs to standards:-)

for me i am picking fly schitt off of fly paper never a dull monent here

Working for one of the local phone companies Qwest communications in Denver, was a radio operator in the Corps. All that training paid off. Retired Warrant officer.

Reading above...as far as resume' goes...my company's processes use the same method via computer/recruiter. You have to write the resume' based on the hiring announcement and use words/phrases accordingly wherever possible to get the best results. Unless, you can find someone on the inside to ensure your resume' gets onto someone's desk.

Semi-retired ... Still working part time as a phone support tech for a little internet service provider.

After spending over forty years working on the latest, and the biggest electronic, communication, and data systems for the likes of the USMC, IBM, US Navy, US Air Force, Sun Microsystems, and others, in places like Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and Greenland, among others, I'm now helping little old ladies figure out their email .... How the mighty have fallen ...

Quote Originally Posted by radio relay View Post
    Semi-retired ... Still working part time as a phone support tech for a little internet service provider.

After spending over forty years working on the latest, and the biggest electronic, communication, and data systems for the likes of the USMC, IBM, US Navy, US Air Force, Sun Microsystems, and others, in places like Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and Greenland, among others, I'm now helping little old ladies figure out their email .... How the mighty have fallen ...
    Good for you, now you're doing something worthwhile.

Thread Information