Question about college and being active duty.
Create Post

Question about college and being active duty.

well i was wondering how hard will it be to pull that off because i want to get into sports medicine and become a personal trainer. so i was just wondering would it be hard going to a community college while being active duty?

Will all depend on your MOS and your command; but yes, it can be done. Also consider on-line courses.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Will all depend on your MOS and your command; but yes, it can be done. Also consider on-line courses.
    yea was looking at online courses but cause the profession i want to do is kinda in the health field its more hands on. Also my my contract is a 0600 mos so who knows but yeah id figure i would ask you Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by luis2787 View Post
    yea was looking at online courses but cause the profession i want to do is kinda in the health field its more hands on. Also my my contract is a 0600 mos so who knows but yeah id figure i would ask you Marines.
    True, but you're still going to have to take some general ed courses and those can be taken on line. And you never know if there's going to be the courses you need by your duty station.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    True, but you're still going to have to take some general ed courses and those can be taken on line. And you never know if there's going to be the courses you need by your duty station.
    yeah i am taking my general ed courses now before i ship to boot camp so as soon i finish training i would like to start my core classes.

it is very easy to get a degree while in the Marines. I get mine the first 2 years(and my first enlsitment was only 2 years haha!) I went to the school of Mattress and majored in Tits, with a minor in As*. Im a certified hustler now

I go to the local community college after work 4 days a week. I do not have a set schedule on the Marine side of things so my teachers/instructors are pretty lenient with absences because I am military. Were only allotted 2 absences and I missed I think 7 in this last semester from 1 class alone and I believe 5 or 6 in the other, but I had all my course work complete prior to the days I would miss and turned everything in early.

It is possible. With your gen. ed. out of the way.. you will have more options of where to go and what you want to do. Also take note.. I have a very time consuming job (even off-duty time consuming to be ready for work).. many jobs unlike mine have a more set schedule so it depends on your MOS, but it IS possible.

PM me if you have any other questions or want details.

Cpl Johnson

If you value your free time then there's no way you can do it. "Oh no 1st Sgts a douche today and we're still here at 2100" "yea dude, wtf"

If I wasn't TAD or there wasn't a job that needed me, I was able to go to class. I filled out a chit to go and it was approved by top (MSgt) and the boss (CWO2) for if I am not needed. As soon as a certain time hit, I was excused to get to class. My command is very supportive of education.

Lucky you, I wish I was as lucky.

I also fought a bit for it and heads butted a few times, but it's your career and yes, college helps. It is education points towards your comp score, it helps you to officer programs if you so choose, it keeps you busy and out of trouble, and most of all, it's an education and college credits toward a degree. Fight for it. If it persists.. request mast if your not provided the opportunity. Theres always a way.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Luis, just my two cents, no more no less, but I don't think it's an easy thing to do. There are a lot of variables. Of course it can be done, but overall? It's not anything you can PLAN on. There's always the online degrees, those are good and always there, but for what you specifically mentioned, the hands-on stuff, you might find yourself very far from a hands-on nursing lab course that you need, or you might be a mile away, who knows? It is a very iffy proposition, in other words. Nothing you can say to yourself, oh yes, in this particular field, I will be able to do this while in the Marine Corps......sure, if you can pick your duty station and your MOS and your working hours, then, yes, it would be great..........so I would give it more thought, like you're doing right now. Good luck in everything you do and try to do, Luis. Thanks for making well thought out posts instead of some of this stuff that comes down the pike-----people here will help you any way they possibly can.
    As I said, just one person's opinion among hundreds, so take my advice just on that limited basis.....just something to think about. To ME, it seems like it is iffy.

yea i figured i would ask you know because worse come to worse ill see if theres a online school who offers sports medicine.

If you're in infantry or something that goes to the field quite a bit you can forget about school while enlisted. I wanted to take classes here and there while I was in but it was next to impossible. If you have a job that set to be in garrison at all times while not on deployment, then yes you can, and probably should continue your education. I mean, what else are you going to do? Going out and getting drunk while on liberty is fun the first few times, after that it becomes extremely repetitive and a waste of time.

Just remember though, the Marine Corps comes first, that's your main obligation while you're on active duty so you need to treat the school situation as such.

Quote Originally Posted by indygti View Post
    If you're in infantry or something that goes to the field quite a bit you can forget about school while enlisted. I wanted to take classes here and there while I was in but it was next to impossible. If you have a job that set to be in garrison at all times while not on deployment, then yes you can, and probably should continue your education. I mean, what else are you going to do? Going out and getting drunk while on liberty is fun the first few times, after that it becomes extremely repetitive and a waste of time.

Just remember though, the Marine Corps comes first, that's your main obligation while you're on active duty so you need to treat the school situation as such.
    Well i have a communications mos 0600 i am hoping to get 0621 field radio operator so who knows what will happen but yea i was just asking around to see how hard it would be thats all.

Thread Information