Bringing crucifix on a chain to bootcamp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Bringing crucifix on a chain to bootcamp?

Hello, first of all I would just like to say that I already read the sticky in poolee hall from a Drill Instructor on what to bring to bootcamp and he said religious materials are ok. My question is does he mean paper things only (like a bible) or would my "necklace" be ok? When I hear materials I think of paper things. I had an idea to maybe put it inside of a small prayer book. The reason I ask is because I got it from a priest who literally took it off his neck and handed it to me to take with to bootcamp so it means a lot. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You could probably scotch tape it inside the cover of a small bible but they are not gonna let you wear it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    You could probably scotch tape it inside the cover of a small bible but they are not gonna let you wear it.
    Ok cool that was kinda what I was thinking of doing, and yea I was assuming there was no way I could wear it I just wanted to maybe keep it in my footlocker or something. Thanks.

I brought my copy of the Koran(sp?) and they DI"s were cool. They even brought me a prayer rug to use while the quarter decked me. ALLAH!

Way back when I was on the field, recruits could and did have their cruifix around their necks. Maybe it has changed by now. If it has it is a shame that they do not allow it to be worn. Do they still wear dog tags or are those history too?

It's a shame they didn't let me wear my Flavor Flav clock around my neck like he does. He's my God and that's how we show respect to him in the Church or the Flav, which I am a member.

yeahhhhhh boyyyyyyyy!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Way back when I was on the field, recruits could and did have their cruifix around their necks. Maybe it has changed by now. If it has it is a shame that they do not allow it to be worn. Do they still wear dog tags or are those history too?

When I went through (1971) we did not wear dog tags. We got those a few days before graduation.

Graduated in April. All depends on the company you're assigned. I saw some with the religious medallions but we weren't allowed because someone did something stupid with his so they said no in ours. SF

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    It's a shame they didn't let me wear my Flavor Flav clock around my neck like he does. He's my God and that's how we show respect to him in the Church or the Flav, which I am a member.
    I am quite sure that many Marines will be more than glad when March 2013 rolls around. I would also like to remind you that doing 4 years in the Corps is not a career as yor sig states. Oh, and you can wear your Flavor Flav clock anywhere you like. Whatever kids toy a Flavor Flav clock is.

Hahahaha butt hurt much?!?!? You act like I give a sh!t what you think. I know what the people I work with think, you don't.
    If you can have your religious stuff, why can't I? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Hahahaha butt hurt much?!?!? You act like I give a sh!t what you think. I know what the people I work with think, you don't.
    If you can have your religious stuff, why can't I? What's the difference?
    Hahahahaha

I agree with taping it in your Bible or leaving it at home. Our DIs looked at everything we had, pointed at what we could keep, and the rest either went back home or into the circular file.

Why press your luck by bringing something that you have questions on if you can keep?

Focus on your EGA.... the rest can be put on hold until you have earned the title.

You can buy one at the recruit PX down there, it is a simple thing on a dog tag chain but it is a cross and it'll do the trick. So much crap gets lost down there anyways that I'd leave something like that at home. Just my 2 cents.

I remember that you could wear religious stuff around your neck, but no one did because it would just break, get lost, etc. Why don't you make a solid bookmark, punch a hole in it, and attach the chain through there and just say its part of your bookmark. Regardless, they typically don't religious stuff.

Thread Information