i have a weight dilemma help me! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarSniper View Post
    I mean, I can dig it but it's your diet man. Don't get DQ'd over it either. Watch what you eat and how often you eat. If you can afford a gym get one and ask a personal trainer for advice (he can give you advice without you paying him) I really don't know, my problem was never weight. Still, man, it's your diet. Either that or you know deep down inside that you're not going hard and putting 100% effort in. If you are, watch what you eat and how often. That 5 small meals a day program will probably BUILD you up more, so I'd cut it, but ask your recruiter I guess, I'm just a lowly poolee.
    Actually the purpose of the 5-6 small meals a day, usually timed 2-3 hours apart is to increase your metabolism. Starving yourself actually is worse than most think. My advice is start using measuring cups and/or weighing out your portions on a food scale. Things really start to add up so you need to carefully measure stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by mcspam View Post
    Actually the purpose of the 5-6 small meals a day, usually timed 2-3 hours apart is to increase your metabolism. Starving yourself actually is worse than most think. My advice is start using measuring cups and/or weighing out your portions on a food scale. Things really start to add up so you need to carefully measure stuff out.
    There's actually a study that shows the number of meals and their spacing throughout the day don't actually have a significant impact on your metabolism, but moreso on curbing cravings and keeping you from snacking - which is why it is effective.

@luis: Your body has probably hit a plateau with your gym routine and your diet, specifically the latter. Try reducing your calorie intake by about 100 calories for a week, and see if anything changes. If no weight loss, or no significant weight loss, lower/higher your intake from there accordingly.

Also, do you weigh yourself every day? If not, I'd say give it a try. Same time every day just hop on the scale. Some people might advise against this, but it helped me see just how much my weight fluctuates in a given week, and just how my diet effected me from day to day. Plus, 178.9 one day and 178.2 the next IS an improvement, and it's nice to see the progress (slow progress is better than no progress).

Oh, and like I said, lowering the amount of carbs you're eating will help a lot with fat loss, and allow you to retain majority of the muscle you have.

Caloric deficit = weight loss
    Low carb/Ketogenic diet = fat loss
    Caloric deficit + low carb/keto = both

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    There's actually a study that shows the number of meals and their spacing throughout the day don't actually have a significant impact on your metabolism, but moreso on curbing cravings and keeping you from snacking - which is why it is effective.

@luis: Your body has probably hit a plateau with your gym routine and your diet, specifically the latter. Try reducing your calorie intake by about 100 calories for a week, and see if anything changes. If no weight loss, or no significant weight loss, lower/higher your intake from there accordingly.

Also, do you weigh yourself every day? If not, I'd say give it a try. Same time every day just hop on the scale. Some people might advise against this, but it helped me see just how much my weight fluctuates in a given week, and just how my diet effected me from day to day. Plus, 178.9 one day and 178.2 the next IS an improvement, and it's nice to see the progress (slow progress is better than no progress).

Oh, and like I said, lowering the amount of carbs you're eating will help a lot with fat loss, and allow you to retain majority of the muscle you have.

yeah im watching everything now. Friday last week i was 178.8 and when i weight myself today i was 178.4 and i will weigh myself again on Saturday to see if anything has changed.

There's usually studies that show both sides, but the consensus is that eating more meals = boost in metabolism, which means burning more calories at rest. It is just simple physiology, if you eat food you have to use energy to break it down, whereas if you didn't eat the meal no energy would have been expended. I am actually against weighing yourself everyday, the scale is misleading. Your weight fluctuates not only day to day significantly, but throughout the day it can fluctuate 10-15 lbs, and most of this is due to water and food weight. If you drank alot more water than you usually do the day before, chances are the next day you will weigh less than you did the previous day because you actually peed alot of it out. Usually pick 1 day a week at the same time to weigh yourself, mine I use Monday morning after rising and a trip to the head. As the ketogenic and such work, well yes sustained ketogenic/low carb diets lead to fat loss, as they are aimed at using fat for energy as opposed to carbs for energy, but the initial 1st week or 2 are misleading as much of the weight loss is water weight due to the lesser amount of carbs being consumed, as carbs are like sponges and hold alot of water.

There's usually studies that show both sides, but the consensus is that eating more meals = boost in metabolism, which means burning more calories at rest. It is just simple physiology, if you eat food you have to use energy to break it down, whereas if you didn't eat the meal no energy would have been expended. I am actually against weighing yourself everyday, the scale is misleading. Your weight fluctuates not only day to day significantly, but throughout the day it can fluctuate 10-15 lbs, and most of this is due to water and food weight. If you drank alot more water than you usually do the day before, chances are the next day you will weigh less than you did the previous day because you actually peed alot of it out. Usually pick 1 day a week at the same time to weigh yourself, mine I use Monday morning after rising and a trip to the head. As the ketogenic and such work, well yes sustained ketogenic/low carb diets lead to fat loss, as they are aimed at using fat for energy as opposed to carbs for energy, but the initial 1st week or 2 are misleading as much of the weight loss is water weight due to the lesser amount of carbs being consumed, as carbs are like sponges and hold alot of water.
    instead of running once a day for 60 mins. ill run a 2 mile in the am then a 60 minutes at the gym and see if that helps.

You know your sh!t, I'll give you that much. And if anything, I'm more into BF% rather than weight.

Quote Originally Posted by luis2787 View Post
    instead of running once a day for 60 mins. ill run a 2 mile in the am then a 60 minutes at the gym and see if that helps.
    Try some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or "Couch to 5K". You can already run 5k, I'm sure, but the intervals it starts you at will probably get you further as far as weight loss is concerned, as opposed to the LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) cardio that you're use to. That's what really helped me lose the last 10-15lbs.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Alright bro, as a kid who also suffers from a slowish metabolism I have a few tips for you.
    #1" if you have an ipod touch there is an app thats called MyFitnessPal where you can literally put how much weight you wanna lose your own height/weight and it will tell you the amount you need to eat daily to maintain your losing. Also it has a built in calorie counter which comes in handy and as long as your 100% honest about how much you eat it can really help. I used it during Lacrosse and I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks.

#2: eat vegetables and also after your workouts eat some bananas they help rebuild proteins and **** like that. Like everyone keeps saying Muscle weights more then fat so pay attention to what type of weight you are gaining.

#3: watch out for salts cuz they actually hold water and skew your results and make you retain more liquids and make you SEEM heavier.

#4: Hot Sauce-curbs appetite and boosts your metabolism/immune system. However beware or overusing as its alot of added salt so make sure you counter it with just as much water.

#5 Sorry for being so lengthy haha hope it helps bro good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer17 View Post
    Alright bro, as a kid who also suffers from a slowish metabolism I have a few tips for you.
    #1" if you have an ipod touch there is an app thats called MyFitnessPal where you can literally put how much weight you wanna lose your own height/weight and it will tell you the amount you need to eat daily to maintain your losing. Also it has a built in calorie counter which comes in handy and as long as your 100% honest about how much you eat it can really help. I used it during Lacrosse and I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks.

#2: eat vegetables and also after your workouts eat some bananas they help rebuild proteins and **** like that. Like everyone keeps saying Muscle weights more then fat so pay attention to what type of weight you are gaining.

#3: watch out for salts cuz they actually hold water and skew your results and make you retain more liquids and make you SEEM heavier.

#4: Hot Sauce-curbs appetite and boosts your metabolism/immune system. However beware or overusing as its alot of added salt so make sure you counter it with just as much water.

#5 Sorry for being so lengthy haha hope it helps bro good luck
    thanks i am really motivated so i am trying everything lol.

You know your sh!t, I'll give you that much. And if anything, I'm more into BF% rather than weight.

Try some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or "Couch to 5K". You can already run 5k, I'm sure, but the intervals it starts you at will probably get you further as far as weight loss is concerned, as opposed to the LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) cardio that you're use to. That's what really helped me lose the last 10-15lbs.
    I wasn't trying to knock your info, was just adding to it, you gave some very sound knowledge. I think in the case of the op's it is like I said before, calories in vs calories out. 1 week of not losing is nothing to worry about, now if after 3 weeks there is no change, then yes you are eating too much. I too wanna worry about BF% but sadly doesn't do me any good as I have lost so much weight that I have loose skin, and until I have it removed I won't look good no matter if I get down to single digit BF%, so I just worry about my weight for now. Can't wait for the day that I will think in terms of BF% and to do my first bulk

I too wanna worry about BF% but sadly doesn't do me any good as I have lost so much weight that I have loose skin, and until I have it removed I won't look good no matter if I get down to single digit BF%, so I just worry about my weight for now. Can't wait for the day that I will think in terms of BF% and to do my first bulk
    Haha, you and me both. I'm down to 138, but I'm ready to get lean and defined!

Quote Originally Posted by RBrouse View Post
    As of this morning I am at 199lb I havnt seen that as my wiehgt for years and its so motivational. and I am back on my diet which is a 1000 calorie diet. For me I have a while before I ship so I am doing pushups pullups and crunches only no weight lifting untill I am down to my goal weight, for me I think I'm losing weight just cause of the running I'm doing but you seem to be doing more than me so Idk just run more I guess if your body is used to running 5 run 7 miles
    Keep it up Bro! When i depped i was 201 and im also 5'10. I consumed 1200 calories daily and the only cardio i did was run everyday. I did pullups and crunches 5 days a week. Started in February and by late June got down to 154 and 10% body fat. Then i started lifting while keeping up my routine and diet ( 1800 calories now) and im now up to 163 and 8% body fat. If you keep it up by the time you ship you'll be amazed by what determination can do!

i am going to see a free personal trainer today at the gym

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Eat more oats

i do i eat oatmeal everyday my problem is i need to add sprints after my weights my personal trainer says.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What's worked for me is changing to food I eat. I've been losing 5 lbs consistently each week.

Carrots
    Grapes (any fruit really except Guava)
    Water (LOTS OF WATER)
    Skim Milk
    MUSHROOMS (filling and ZERO calorie)
    Lean Turkey
    Lean Beef (after a long run)
    Salads if you like that stuff (I don't)
    NEVER eat Pork or fried food

Thread Information