Joining the Corps with a severe collarbone injury?
Create Post

Joining the Corps with a severe collarbone injury?

I have been considering a possible career as an Officer in the Marine Corps once I graduate college here in Texas with my degree this coming May for quite a while now. Unfortunately, my school does not have any ROTC programs either, so I would have to go the OTS route. The thing is I suffered a really bad rodeo injury a few months back. I took a bad fall and broke my collarbone really bad. I have had to have 2 surgeries since then and I may have to have another still. I am still getting a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders as well, and I have been taking painkillers for it a lot too.

I am just wondering if a career in the Marine Corps would be out of the question with an injury like this, or would I probably need some kind of medical waiver. I am physically fit in every other way and I am very athletic, it's just this injury I've had, so I'm kind of concerned it might hold me back. I honestly have a feeling I would be disqualified from the Marines or any other branch of the service because of my injury, even after I heal. I know a recruiter is probably the best source to ask, but considering the part of Texas I live in, there aren't any recruiters nearby. It's not that easy for me to make a long journey halfway across the state either. Thanks.

-Blake

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakers View Post
    I have been considering a possible career as an Officer in the Marine Corps once I graduate college here in Texas with my degree this coming May for quite a while now. Unfortunately, my school does not have any ROTC programs either, so I would have to go the OTS route. The thing is I suffered a really bad rodeo injury a few months back. I took a bad fall and broke my collarbone really bad. I have had to have 2 surgeries since then and I may have to have another still. I am still getting a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders as well, and I have been taking painkillers for it a lot too.

I am just wondering if a career in the Marine Corps would be out of the question with an injury like this, or would I probably need some kind of medical waiver. I am physically fit in every other way and I am very athletic, it's just this injury I've had, so I'm kind of concerned it might hold me back. I honestly have a feeling I would be disqualified from the Marines or any other branch of the service because of my injury, even after I heal. I know a recruiter is probably the best source to ask, but considering the part of Texas I live in, there aren't any recruiters nearby. It's not that easy for me to make a long journey halfway across the state either. Thanks.

-Blake

Blake I don't think you're going to find an answer here. If I''m not mistaken Alpine is near El Paso. You might need to go that far to meet with an OSO. He will have better answers for you. Also try emailing an OSO. Just do a search for one in your area

Mind if I ask if anyone brought up PLC during your undergrad days? Are you at Sul Ross?

No matter what happens, good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Blake I don't think you're going to find an answer here. If I''m not mistaken Alpine is near El Paso. You might need to go that far to meet with an OSO. He will have better answers for you. Also try emailing an OSO. Just do a search for one in your area

Mind if I ask if anyone brought up PLC during your undergrad days? Are you at Sul Ross?

No matter what happens, good luck to you
    No sir, nobody ever mentioned PLC to me. I wish they had though. Yes I am at Sul Ross. And yes sir, you are right, Alpine is about 4 hours east of El Paso. I will definitely email an OSO. Thank you.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakers View Post
    No sir, nobody ever mentioned PLC to me. I wish they had though. Yes I am at Sul Ross. And yes sir, you are right, Alpine is about 4 hours east of El Paso. I will definitely email an OSO. Thank you.
    Blake..I WISH someone had told you about PLC..you'd be good to go come May.

But you need to go the OCS way now. Get as much info as you can and be honest with your OSO. He is there to help you

I figured you were at Sul Ross State. Back in the stone age, I was in advanced flight at Kingsville TX. Then the local college was Texas A&I now I here it's A&M but they use to play Sul Ross. Not sure if they still do.

Once again good luck to you. PM me if you have any questions

Dan

this probably hurt shaffer's collarbone

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Blake..I WISH someone had told you about PLC..you'd be good to go come May.

But you need to go the OCS way now. Get as much info as you can and be honest with your OSO. He is there to help you

I figured you were at Sul Ross State. Back in the stone age, I was in advanced flight at Kingsville TX. Then the local college was Texas A&I now I here it's A&M but they use to play Sul Ross. Not sure if they still do.

Once again good luck to you. PM me if you have any questions

Dan
    Haha, ya A&M is a big rival of ours. Thanks again.

Thread Information