2 Weeks until Boot Camp....Just offered RECON....Help
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

2 Weeks until Boot Camp....Just offered RECON....Help

My SSgt has given me the opportunity to pick Recon as my MOS and I have about 2 weeks to decide before I leave for boot camp. He gave me the run down of the steps to become a Recon Marine. He told me not to because no poolie body is ready for the physical demands of what PT is like once in the Marine Corps. He says it will be too much of a shock for someone who's body hasn't been pushed constantly at the pace i'm expected to operate in. For example, he told me that he never works out during the year but when he goes to take his early PFT he get's 1st class every time because his body has been pushed beyond what is necessary to score a 1st class PFT. But my question is after boot camp and during MCT won't your body be as close as possible to what is needed to make it through the Recon Indoct? Or should I go with a different MOS and get my body used to the demands and then go for the Recon Indoct.? I know the result if you fail Recon and that doesn't bother me. But my plans for what I wanted to originally do in the Marines didn't go through(Everything I wanted go snatched up and nothing really left except MT and RECON and ENGI.) So I'm just looking for advice if any. There has to be at least 1 guy who made it through Recon training coming straight from boot camp. I know this is very long and i'll probably get criticized by some Marines on hers because of something I say or didn't say cause it always happens but a answer will help a lot.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    are you in bad shape?....unless you are a complete fat body you should be able to pass with some deep down motivation

No boot camp and SOI/ITB will not put you in the physical spot you need to get through BRC. If I had the opportunity to take a Recon contract I would take it though, if you don't pass you get put into a regular infantry unit.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks I've watched Surviving the Cut: Recon Marines two time's in order to get a glimpse of the hells I will be going through if I decide. I originally wanted to do something in Intel and then when I get the chance to change MOS go to infantry, but since Intel didn't go through. I can either get a MOS I don't want and wait until I get the opportunity to change and hope that a Intel MOS is open(preferably counter Intel because they also go with infantry which will give me combat experience) or just go straight into infantry and never experience Intel thats my 2 choices. The opportunity to do Recon is unbelievable and I would take it instantly, but if choose Recon i'll never get to experience what its like to be in Intel which is my true passion. That's my dilemma

My friends son is now a Scout/Sniper in the "stan. He went on a Sniper contract at 26 yrs old( built like a brick ****house). After Gradution from PI he was pulled from formation and had to take a special P.T. test and so it goes. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    are you in bad shape?....unless you are a complete fat body you should be able to pass with some deep down motivation

No boot camp and SOI/ITB will not put you in the physical spot you need to get through BRC. If I had the opportunity to take a Recon contract I would take it though, if you don't pass you get put into a regular infantry unit.
    Joe, Thank you for yor service. John was 26yrs old passed alll the pre recs for Scout/Sniper in DEP and got his contract pending more Pt tests and additional Rifle qual, which he had to do right after Grad. We didn't see him until 2 days after his Grad. from P.I.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sscjoe View Post
    My friends son is now a Scout/Sniper in the "stan. He went on a Sniper contract at 26 yrs old( built like a brick ****house). After Gradution from PI he was pulled from formation and had to take a special P.T. test and so it goes. Semper Fi
    say what?.......this must have been some sort of secret squirrel underground black ops contract then....

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Joe, Thank you for yor service. John was 26yrs old passed alll the pre recs for Scout/Sniper in DEP and got his contract pending more Pt tests and additional Rifle qual, which he had to do right after Grad. We didn't see him until 2 days after his Grad. from P.I.
    I am not going to argue this but obviously there is my doubts about this

PT in bootcamp and SOI is a joke. I've had harder training with my soccer team than I have at anytime during bootcamp and SOI. So unless you're a fatass and only plays xbox 25/7 then you'll be fine.

I'm also throwing the BS flag for being a sniper straight out of boot.

Dude as long as your in good shape you will do fine. Also having strong mental attitude will get you through it. But don't take surviving the cut as this is what brc is like, that doesn't even show 10% of what we went through, it's a kick in the balls...bad. But I made it through straight out of bootcamp (just like all my buddies) but don't let your ssgt get in your head that a first class is enough you need to be running at the very least (I mean VERY least) a 270, but you want to be sitting at around a 280.

To the OP,

DO IT. Please. I made the mistake of "playing it safe" with a MOS that looks good on a resume, and I'm bored out of my mind. I would go Recon if i could do it again. I migh actually wake up and feel like a real Marine.

wtf are you smoking? Complete BS, If you would like you can email my close friend who IS a SS and can tell you how to become one. We both laughed when we read the crap you posted

here is the real scoop

USMC Basic Scout Sniper School Pre-Regs
    These are the basics, Units vary with Indocs and Pre-Reqs.

Minimum Requirements: As per HQMC School Quota Message:

Criteria: 60 days prior to a class convening, the G-3 at each division will receive a message from HQMC stating the number of funded quotas given to each division, the gear list, report date, and criteria for attending. THE FOLLOWING PREREQUISITES MUST BE MET BY THE REPORTING MARINE OR HE WILL BE RETURNED TO HIS UNIT:

1. Lance Corporal through Captain.
    2. Infantry MOS or MOS 0203.
    3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
    4. Serving in or designated for assignment to a Scout Sniper billet.
    5. Minimum of 12 months remaining on current contract upon completion of course
    (Does not apply to reservist)
    6. Must score a First Class PFT on course convene date.
    7. Current rifle Expert. Must have qualified in the last fiscal year.
    (Reservist can have a score three years old, but must be current Expert)
    8. No courts martials or NJP within the last six months.
    9. Minimum GT of 100.
    10. No history of mental illness.
    11. Must be a volunteer.
    12. It is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, for the student to have completed the following MCI courses: Land Navigation, Patrolling, Calling and Adjusting Supporting Arms, and Reconnaissance Marine. It is also recommended but not required that the student have conducted basic Scout Sniper field skills: stalks, consealment, field sketches, range cards, range estimations, and firing of the M-40A1 prior to attending the course. Students should also posses a high degree of maturity, equanimity, and common sense.
    13. Bottom line: the best, most experienced infantry you can send.

Marine Corps PFT: For a perfect score: 3 mile run in 18 minutes, 20 deadhang pull-ups(No Swinging), 100 sit-up/crunchs under two minutes.
    Swim Qual: 500 meter swim using side or breast stroke, 50 meter swim holding a weight out of water, tread water for 30 seconds holding a weight out of water, no signs of panic.

Two of the better ways of becoming a Scout/Sniper are through a Recon unit or an Infantry Battalion. First join the Marine Corps with an Infantry MOS. While in Boot Camp you will need to shoot Expert on the rifle range, become at least a second class swimmer and score a high first class PFT. Upon completion of Infantry training you will be given the opportunity to volunteer for Recon or Force Recon. If you successfully complete their indoc you will be sent to a Recon unit where you will first qualify as a Recon Marine then given the opportunity to volunteer for Scout/Sniper School. BN Recon and Force Recon have school seats assigned to them for every S/S School.

If you're confused....here's the easy version

1. Be a grunt
    2. Do the STA indoc and get into STA platoon
    3. If you get the chance you'll go to school and if you pass you'll be an 0317

The only difference between a 17 and a 11, 41, 31 etc is that a 17 shoots the sniper rifle and the other's have a SAW, M4/16 and provide security or lead mo****as

Pick it. What is the worst thing that can happen,,, that's right YOU FAIL. But, at least you tried, you'll still be a MARINE -- you'll know a little more about what it takes, and you'll go to the fleet as an 03 looking to take that next step. Don't be a pu ssy, pick it. Plenty, PLENTY of guys in Recon, STA and MarSoc have failed indocs, that isn't what makes them now, what makes them now is how they got up after they were knocked down.

Do you have what it takes or do you just have a coool Internet screen name?

welll...... if you want to be real hard core,,,, skip the Marines and join the French Foreign Legion...............I dont scare to easily but the FFL scares me............like the Kaiser soze of the military world................

Thread Information