Stolen Valor resale of medals - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What happen to honor and committment? It was and still is an honor to have the medal given to me. Everything I have I earned and I feel that these medals are part of my history. Its the same now as a Law Enforcement Officer, I have every badge: patrolman, corporal, sergeant, etc.... and I will die before I would ever sell them. I guess those who agree with the sell of medals don't honor the symbolizm. I spent 10 years on active duty in the Corps, I have been out now since 1998. Back here in the real world those medals mean alot. I have them mounted in a glass case for those who step into my office to see. I may be old fasioned, but I have alot of pride for the Corps still today. I still have my dress blues, my camo, etc..... The Corps and what it stands for would not be very happy if they knew Marines were selling their medals. What a shame.

So....using this logic, the Medals of WWI veterans (only one of whom is now alive) should have all been...what, exactly? Buried with them? Destroyed?

Alas, not everyone is interested in their family history. Sad, but true. Sometimes there is no 'everyone' to pass it along to. I recently acquired a Marine officer's Ribbons and dog tags. He was an OSS Marine with China service, WWII. No living, remaining, relatives.

Would it be better if I just tossed the stuff instead of researching it, and putting it into a display case?

And the idea that 'donating it to a museum' doesn't wash, either. Despite the rarity of what those items represent...MOST museums (Even the Marine Corps Museum) get far more 'stuff' than they can EVER display. You know what happens to most of it? It gets sold (to people like me, most of the time) to pay for acquisitions/funding/the light bill.

And, again, not every family wants the 'stuff', nor has room to display it, keep it or store it. And, again, sometimes, they have to sell it to pay the mortgage.

Have I sold my 'stuff'? No. Would I hope that my family keeps it 'in the family'? Sure. But what might be important to "me" may not be important to 'them'. Just the way it is.

I'm not trying to climb anyone's frame here or dogpile. But I've been collecting this stuff since I was 8 years old. I've preserved it, studied it, and enjoyed it. I know, moreso than most, what happens to 'grandads stuff'.

BTW, I've got every single badge I've ever worn as well. And maybe my kids will appreciate 'em....maybe not. Not my call. No desire to be buried with the things though LOL.

Sorry for the rant....

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Just a call out thanks for all your / input … In the future, I will try not to get upset when I see a Bronze Star other being re-sold at the Flee market (s) or other…still ****es me off when I think the man who own that award and asking myself did he die earning it or did he come home then passed away knowing his estate was sold by family members or by his state … Sad really, this is why when I die all my decorations, and decoration letter (s) and / or citation (s) will be placed inside my coffin and if I am cremated they will be placed under my body upon my burning of my body. Again guys that’s for your input this (issue) has always ****ed me off.

The Expert Shooting Badge that I wore during my tour of duty had 03 Crossed Rifles on it. I don't remember where i appropriated it. I am guessing that it was alright to wear it, because I wore it for 20 years and was never chewed for it. Gave it to one of my buddies kid when he enlisted in the Corps.

Riven, that's why I'm a collector believe it or not. I rescue stuff like that when I have the funds.

But Dave is correct....it's not the medal or the ribbon that did the deed...it's the man (or woman) that did it. NONE of those bits of colored ribbon 'made' history..the people did!

And there you have it sir.

When I teach USMC history and traditions, it's one of my 'taglines' I ask people, when I hold up or point out equipment, 'Which piece of this MADE history?'

I get all sorts of responses but almost never the correct one. The individual MARINE 'made' the history. The rest of this stuff is just laundry, metal, and component parts. Without the Marine (soldier, etc) it doesn't mean squat.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This is the one area where Dave and I have a disagreement. Valor as a tangible asset cannot be stolen but as a perception I believe it can

The medals/awards represent an act of valor on the part of the individual. People see a Silver Star and they understand that award was given for some courageous act

When a POS buys a uniform and some medals, they are projecting themselves as the ones who earned those awards. They are giving off the perception of being valorous when in fact they did not earn any of their awards. They are stealing the "valor" represented by those awards. Ever notice that when one of these dirt bags is busted, they are not an E-2 but at least an E-7 or in the case of an officer at least an O-3. They steal the rank as well

They never seem to be wearing just basic decorations but a Navy Cross or two or three, same amount of Silver Stars. They want to be perceived or believed as heroes. People see them at banquets or parades, see the awards and think of them a being great men. When in fact most of them have never worn a uniform in any service

I agree the act of valor cannot be stolen but the perception of valor represented by the medals can and is the only reason why posers do what they do

And, I also agree with the concept behind what you are saying sir. However, I think congress overstepped (as usual) it's bounds when it prohibited the sale of MOH's to regular people (collectors). SVA is a GOOD law but that is one section where I think they got stupid with it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Actually, Dan and I are not in as much disagreement as he may think----I agree that posing, especially with medals, means that the poser is representing to the world that HE/SHE earned/was awarded those medals. And I agree that it is reprehensible.

So far as that goes, we agree. It is wrong, even heinous, for someone like that to be wearing those medals.

No medal contains valor within it. It is a symbol of valor. I see what Dan is saying, that the poser is wearing a symbol of valor, and to that extent I agree with him. But the poser can't steal the valor itself.
    Agree 100%

Concur with both!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    And, I also agree with the concept behind what you are saying sir. However, I think congress overstepped (as usual) it's bounds when it prohibited the sale of MOH's to regular people (collectors). SVA is a GOOD law but that is one section where I think they got stupid with it.
    Jason I understand your position. You as a collector certainly would not walk about wearing Americas greatest award for heroism.

Was the MOH for sale in the open market prior to the SVA? I know there was a problem with the firm that produced the award, they were selling non circulated awards I believe.

Yes, you could buy them. Most of the time they were either historical ones from, say the Civil War (although others were available if you had the funds) there were a few blanks around.

HLI (His Lordships Industries) in the early 90's, which had the contract for them (and tons of other medals and insignia) began selling 'unissued' ones out the back door to collectors at 200 bucks a pop. I can well remember seeing these at gun and military shows. Never got one.

Well, a few notable posers got nailed, and the medals were traced back to them. CongInt showed what was happening. They lost the contract ('in perpetuty' no less...) went out of business.

The end result is it is now considered 'Stolen property' to own an un-named MOH. That includes the medal, the citation, and the ribbon. Yes...to OWN one. (In addition of course to falsely wearing one etc). The FBI will in fact come and take your MOH. Which, by the way, goes back and gets BURNED in an incinerator when the case is over with.

Of course, if you are a 'furrner', you can buy, display and own ANY US medal including the MOH. Happens quite often. Crazy.
    Because of the SVA, ebay has made drastic changes in what it allows to be sold. They are under the mistaken impression that the Purple Heart also falls under this law (it doesn't, as far as sale/possession). Stupid.

Oh yeah LOL. Understandably so on that. Same goes for MOST fed badges from what I understand.

yeah i didn't know that before..

welcome

Breaking Bad Season 3 DVD

Thread Information