English Essay Question (Does Regard the Corps)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

English Essay Question (Does Regard the Corps)

I have a question to ask you all, and there's bonus points if you're a pompus English major. The question I ask you all is, in any kind of formal writing, would you capitalize the word 'Marine?' I did for an essay on the Corps, MEPS, and recruiting, and every time I capitalized 'Marine,' (which was every time) she (my liberal English instructor who I even doubt has an English degree) marked it for lower casing. Respecting the other branches I also capitalized Army, Ranger, Sailor, Shipman and Airman. I also capitalized 'Soldier,' but that's understandable because it is a generalized term, and granted many other nations have their own Marine force, ours is second to none. Anyone's thoughts?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxated View Post
    I have a question to ask you all, and there's bonus points if you're a pompus English major. The question I ask you all is, in any kind of formal writing, would you capitalize the word 'Marine?' I did for an essay on the Corps, MEPS, and recruiting, and every time I capitalized 'Marine,' (which was every time) she (my liberal English instructor who I even doubt has an English degree) marked it for lower casing. Respecting the other branches I also capitalized Army, Ranger, Sailor, Shipman and Airman. I also capitalized 'Soldier,' but that's understandable because it is a generalized term, and granted many other nations have their own Marine force, ours is second to none. Anyone's thoughts?
    We Marines view the word "Marine" as a proper noun, therefore it should be capitalized. Also, it is standard American usage. It is also proper to capitalize Marine Corps, Army, Ranger, Navy, Air Force, and it is appropriate to capitalize Soldier, Sailor, or Airman.

If she doesn't like that, then you can tell her we are offended that she would denigrate Marines in such a fashion and shall report her to the ACLU.

That ought to get her liberal guilt trip running.

Dumb liberal ***** is basically the reincarnation of what my uncle called "Hanoi Jane." I have a fellow classmate who's boyfriend is an active duty Marine currently deployed to Afghanistan. I bet she's seeing the same editing marks as I am. I don't mean to gloat, but according to her the first essay assignment that was turned in, the only one accepted was mine, and I still got a fat 'F' on it. Guess she doesn't like ole conservative me.

Thanks for clarifying that for me guys.

PS- Would 'Military' in United States Military be capitalized too? It is a title I believe, yet she seemed to cross that out as well.

Sorry for the double post but I just checked my email inbox and...
    "...you are having lots of trouble with capitalization. I have made a note to bring you some capitalization information. Please remind me to give it to you in class on Tuesday. Thanks."

Hahahah, I would but as a poolee I don't have the authority to, nor do I have the 'warface' down yet as The Gunny would put it.

Then again any liberal will wet themselves when they have someone intimidating yelling two inches from their face, so maybe the idea isn't too far fetched. Thanks again dcb188 and Zulu 36 for the research and insight.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wouldn't it that if marine used as an adjective such as marine life, marine motor, marine chow always be lower case while marine used as a proper noun such as a Marine or the Marines be upper case?

If you subsituted doctor for marine then a doctors bag would be lower case while I'm going to see the Doctor would be upper case.

If you said hi Dad then dad would be capitalized but if you asked a friend how old their dad is would it be upper or lower case?

Now I'm a little bit confused .... which aint hard to do.

Hahahah, I would but as a poolee I don't have the authority to, nor do I have the 'warface' down yet as The Gunny would put it.

so maybe the idea isn't too far fetched. Thanks again dcb188 and Zulu 36 for the research and insight.
    You need to ask yourself something. "Who is going to be grading my paper?" You can try to be a hard ass and prove to the teacher how wrong she is but when she fails you you're going to feel like a real dumb ass, not her.

Just do what your teacher says. Your grade rests with her pen, not our opinions.

Then again any liberal will wet themselves when they have someone intimidating yelling two inches from their face
    You realize, of course, there are 2 or 3 liberal Marines on this site, and a whole lot more in the Marine Corps, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    You need to ask yourself something. "Who is going to be grading my paper?" You can try to be a hard ass and prove to the teacher how wrong she is but when she fails you you're going to feel like a real dumb ass, not her.

Just do what your teacher says. Your grade rests with her pen, not our opinions.

You realize, of course, there are 2 or 3 liberal Marines on this site, and a whole lot more in the Marine Corps, don't you?
    Of course. There are liberals in every branch. One of the senators of where I'm from (Iowa; Leonard Boswell) was an Army Combat(?) Aviator from '56 to '69 or so. Doesn't matter the political preference in terms of respecting one for their service. But in your defense, I should have been more specific. A flower-child who has absolutely no idea of how the military works yet spits on every vet getting off the bus for voluntarily or involuntarily serving his or her country and condemns them with false accusations of killing innocent civilians. That kind of liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Bulkyer, I think you are right on all counts, but the doctor, going to see the doctor would still not be specific so it would not be capitalized. But I agree with everything else you just said.
    As for the other opinions, I would say that this teacher is hell bent on correcting this kid over and over about capitalization, when he has it right. There is no reason why he cannot politely ,politely politely show her his own research, not stand there and argue with her but show her in writing that Marine is capitalized and soldier is not......not just to show her he is right but he is being constantly criticized for his improper capitalization, by her, when she is the one who is incorrect. So that is why I suggested he politely just show her his own research. The alternative is to have someone say you are wrong wrong wrong and you just say ok I know, when in fact you have been right all along
    I did discuss it with her today, and she still thinks that Marine isn't to be capitalized. I told her that not only have I asked this site, but also a Marine associated group on Facebook (didn't give names though), and both have concluded that 'Marine' is capitalized. She still stuck to her guns. Referring to BR34's advice, I had to swallow my pride and agree with her, to get the grade. The girl with the Marine boyfriend didn't come to my defense as I had predicted; I think someone's a Jody. Oh well, eight more months of this crap and it's Corps time for me.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Of course. There are liberals in every branch. One of the senators of where I'm from (Iowa; Leonard Boswell) was an Army Combat(?) Aviator from '56 to '69 or so. Doesn't matter the political preference in terms of respecting one for their service. But in your defense, I should have been more specific. A flower-child who has absolutely no idea of how the military works yet spits on every vet getting off the bus for voluntarily or involuntarily serving his or her country and condemns them with false accusations of killing innocent civilians. That kind of liberal.

I did discuss it with her today, and she still thinks that Marine isn't to be capitalized. I told her that not only have I asked this site, but also a Marine associated group on Facebook (didn't give names though), and both have concluded that 'Marine' is capitalized. She still stuck to her guns. Referring to BR34's advice, I had to swallow my pride and agree with her, to get the grade. The girl with the Marine boyfriend didn't come to my defense as I had predicted; I think someone's a Jody. Oh well, eight more months of this crap and it's Corps time for me.
    you do know the term "Jody" refers to a male right?

This is high school my friend, swallow your pride and correct the paper to get your grade. If you ever go to college it is only going to get worse but at least you'll have more ground to stand on for argument purposes.
    While I agree this teacher needs to understand what the title of being a Marine and a proper noun is she is not going to learn it from what one of her punk students(yes you).

I always capitalize Marine, but that is not correct and I do not care.

It is correct, though, Bob.....it's the teacher who is wrong....the dictionary, every single source we looked up online last night says capitalize Marine unless it is marine life, marine biology, marine mammals, marine creatures.....but when talking about a United States Marine, it is always capitalized whether it refers to a particular Marine or not.
    I capitalized Marine, but the editing staff corrected it to indicate the context of the word.

What editing staff, Bob....Marine, when talking about a United States Marine, is never lower case.
    Not the United States Marines, but the word Marine. The 1975 edition of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary does not show the word marine, referring to a member of The United States Marines, as being capitalized. Maybe we were talking about two different things. It does show United States Marines as always being captilized.

Maybe things have changed since 1975.

Oh, you mean your book....well, those are civilians who could care less how Marine is spelled or capitalized....now I fully understand....
    I wonder, does that the kids of today are Marines and we are marines?

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    you do know the term "Jody" refers to a male right?

This is high school my friend, swallow your pride and correct the paper to get your grade. If you ever go to college it is only going to get worse but at least you'll have more ground to stand on for argument purposes.
    While I agree this teacher needs to understand what the title of being a Marine and a proper noun is she is not going to learn it from what one of her punk students(yes you).
    This is college for me. And I thought the term "Jody" went both ways?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    This is college for me. And I thought the term "Jody" went both ways?
    well technically it can, but Jody refers to the person sleeping with the Marine's significant other, not the other way around.....minor details though

Thread Information