English Essay Question (Does Regard the Corps) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    Not the United States Marines, but the word Marine. The 1975 edition of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary does not show the word marine, referring to a member of The United States Marines, as being capitalized. Maybe we were talking about two different things. It does show United States Marines as always being captilized.

Maybe things have changed since 1975.
    Just ran marine through Microsoft Word and they corrected me, Marine. It looks like things have changed and the Marines have won again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxated View Post
    A flower-child who has absolutely no idea of how the military works yet spits on every vet getting off the bus for voluntarily or involuntarily serving his or her country and condemns them with false accusations of killing innocent civilians. That kind of liberal
    That's your English teacher?!

Well, she has a more complete profile than you do, Fixxxxated

Not the United States Marines, but the word Marine. The 1975 edition of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary does not show the word marine, referring to a member of The United States Marines, as being capitalized. Maybe we were talking about two different things. It does show United States Marines as always being captilized.

Maybe things have changed since 1975.
    Well, it's time for this old codger eat Crow with a capital C. I know better than take the word of a Marine without checking it out. So, the other day when I went to my 1985 dictionary and found it recognized Marine not captilalized I didn't see the need to go any further. Well, that was wrong. I was wrong.

I went to my copy of Bill Ross' "Iwo Jima" that, also, came out in l985. It is my favorite book on Iwo Jima. At that time he wrote the book, most of the information on Iwo Jima was still classified. Without access to some of the classified information, I am still amazed at what an accurate account he was able to put together. Anyway, he always capitalized the word Marine.

That made me want to look a little deeper in the matter.

Next, I looked at my copy of "Spearhead" published in 1950 by the USMC. It too capitalized Marine. Not only did it capitalize Marine, it also captilized Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard.

Going ever further, I pulled a couple of my old magazines. My May 1945 issues of Leather always capitalized Marine, and one of the May 1945 issues of "Life" Capitalized Marine and all the other branches of the military. One piece of trivia, the Army Air Force was almost shown as the Air Force.

I am satisfied, but later I may go further just to see if it has always been that way.

You know, Crowe wing tastes pretty good, and so does the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxated View Post
    This is college for me. And I thought the term "Jody" went both ways?
    I only glossed over this thread. You're in college or taking an AP English course in High School? No, I didn't check your profile either.

I'm lazy today.

What was the essay about? Not the subject, what was the point? Was it an analysis or more like free-writing?

Was there room for citations? Did you cite official sources, the dictionary, look up the etymology of the word? All you have to do is prove that in the US the word marine is also used as a title for United States Marines.

Yes, this part would constitute an extra credit assignment; a simple intro and thesis, body paragraph, conclusion and work cited page. Blah blah blah.

Seriously? Who gives a sh!t to be making this big a deal out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Seriously? Who gives a sh!t to be making this big a deal out of it.
    points is points

My 2 cents: Marine is always capitalized cuz I'm special and I said so.

End of discussion. Anything else you need me to clear up for ya?

What I don't get is why they haven't opened a Five Guys in Westchester yet.

Boobies is always capitalized because I like them

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Boobies is always capitalized because I like them
    Come on, why don't you guys just meet out back tonight and settle this? Whatever it is we are trying to settle. Just remember, I'm neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    My 2 cents: Marine is always capitalized cuz I'm special and I said so.

End of discussion. Anything else you need me to clear up for ya?
    Excuse me Tdrt, but why ten years and not complete your career? Just being plain nosey.

Excuse me Tdrt, but why ten years and not complete your career? Just being plain nosey.
    Stupidity. Was getting screwed with at my last command so I foolishly thought civilian life would be better. Regret it every day.

Thats what the Reserves are for, keep your foot in while having a civilian job, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    tdrt and Bob, a lot of my buddies, a lot of them, were in for 10 and they all said without a doubt that the Corps was changing. This would have been 1973 or so. It changed so much that they all got out without hesitation. This is what they tell me, I don't know, I did 4
    Well, in '73, I was in preschool so wouldn't know about that. lol

I was a Sgt in a Gunny billet (training quota manager for aviation) and some d!ckhead SSgt didn't like that. So they moved me to be a "show piece" for an officer thinktank. I did absolutely nothing all day except crossword puzzles. After the SSgt screwed up everything so bad after about 6 months, I got my old job back plus all the NATO and Air Force schools. But by then, I was sick and tired of being every commands little poster girl, I decided to get out. I had orders to Okinawa then it was off to the drill field but I turned it down. Had my Warrant Office package ready to do go too but told them to screw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Thats what the Reserves are for, keep your foot in while having a civilian job, haha.
    Tried it. Too hard being single mom.

Thread Information