Wife wanting info about basic
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Red face Wife wanting info about basic

My husband is considering joining the Marines and we have a 2 month old son. When he goes to basic will i get any financial assistance or can he send me money to help pay for bills? I can't pay bills by myself and we have nobody else to help us with money issues. And if/when he graduates, how long does it usually take to get on-base housing? And will the Marines help me through college or is that only for the actual Marine? I appreciate any answers and any additional information you think i could use. =]

your HUSBAND should go see a recruiter, not a message board. You can always sell your kid on craigslist if you need extra cash.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3521 View Post
    your HUSBAND should go see a recruiter, not a message board. You can always sell your kid on craigslist if you need extra cash.
    He's going this week, but I'm just curious and want to know more about it. He's been to basic 2 years ago, but got medically discharged before he finished. He's saying that he gets money while training and can send me some but I'm reading differently. I just want to know...

Atleast when I was in boot camp (1997) you couldnt touch your money until you were out. I had a car loan etc and was single. I just sent a copy of my contract etc to them and they froze my accounts(no payments nothing) until I was out of boot. Im not sure if it was the soldiers and sailors act etc but there is some law to help out. Im sure others will chime in but I honestly dont know if you have access to the money. we were issued a bank in boot camp and given a debit card(fort sill bank) I have heard of some younger Marines stating they brought their own banking info to boot, if thats the case and your husband has direct deposit it would go to his bank each month and you would have access. Seriously though, pick up the phone and call a recruiter. They will have the info

Just remember the "BASIC" creed of the Marine Corps---IE: "if the Marine Corps wanted you to have a family, they would have issued you one"!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3521 View Post
    Atleast when I was in boot camp (1997) you couldnt touch your money until you were out. I had a car loan etc and was single. I just sent a copy of my contract etc to them and they froze my accounts(no payments nothing) until I was out of boot. Im not sure if it was the soldiers and sailors act etc but there is some law to help out. Im sure others will chime in but I honestly dont know if you have access to the money. we were issued a bank in boot camp and given a debit card(fort sill bank) I have heard of some younger Marines stating they brought their own banking info to boot, if thats the case and your husband has direct deposit it would go to his bank each month and you would have access. Seriously though, pick up the phone and call a recruiter. They will have the info
    Well he did say that he could have them direct deposit it into our personal account but I didn't know because I've been reading about them having to use a Marine bank account. He had one in Parris Island, but it's a different situation now, he has a family. But this is his life dream and he wants to finish what he started so he's going talk to a recruiter this week. Is it a good idea for me to go with him so that i can ask questions too?

yes you should go. I believe since you are married you will have to sign some papers etc. It will work out either way so dont worry too much about it. Either way you are the supportive spouse so go and ask questions. It will make the process easier if you both are informed

Quote Originally Posted by CEubanks90 View Post
    Is it a good idea for me to go with him so that i can ask questions too?
    Absolutely.

This is a whole other lifestyle that can be difficult to adjust to and you need to be aware of what is ahead for him as a Marine, you as a wife and mother, and all of you as a family. Military life can be hard on families so you need to know what you should be prepared for. You also may want to hook up with other wives and check out this forum as well: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Find out whatever other information you can about Marine families and spouses. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CEubanks90 View Post
    He's going this week, but I'm just curious and want to know more about it. He's been to basic 2 years ago, but got medically discharged before he finished. He's saying that he gets money while training and can send me some but I'm reading differently. I just want to know...
    If he was medically discharged two years ago, what makes you think he can get in now? What was the medical discharge for?

NO he will NOT be able to send you money while he is in Bootcamp

he will receive BAH while he is in and will have a nice fat chunk of change when he graduates but neither of you will be able to touch it until graduation day. Once he's at MOS school, he'll be able to switch which bank his pay goes to or can wire you money. You will not be able to even look at on-base housing until he's finished with MOS school and assigned a permanent duty station.

my recruiter was a nice guy and is still a close friend of mine but he was mis-informed and told me I'd be able to send money to my wife and kid and he was dead wrong.

correction - we had one recruit who was allowed to send his wife $200 to get their car out of hock but that was a special exception that was approved by the CO

look into the Civil Service Relief Act - will allow you to essentially put off your mortgage, car payment, etc for up to 90 days without punishment

good info il duce

There's a simple solution to this potential problem. You both could become members of Ft. Sill Bank BEFORE he goes to boot camp. That way when his pay starts being deposited to that sham of a bank you'll already have an account set up with a debit card, checks, etc. linked to it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    There's a simple solution to this potential problem. You both could become members of Ft. Sill Bank BEFORE he goes to boot camp. That way when his pay starts being deposited to that sham of a bank you'll already have an account set up with a debit card, checks, etc. linked to it.
    Wise words BR.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    BR,
    Things may have changed in the last year or so since I graduated from MCRD but even if you had an existing account, they already had a new one ready and waiting for you that you were not allowed to modify until after graduation

Thread Information