Scout/Snipers
Create Post

Thread: Scout/Snipers

Scout/Snipers

Are there any Scout/Snipers here on the boards? I'm asking because I'd love to talk with someone who is (or was) part of the MOS that I'm very much interested in. I'm going in as 0300 but once I'm eligible plan on going out for 8541. If anyone on here wants to talk more about S/S school, the job, whatnot...I'd be very much appreciative.

Thanks a bunch, Poolee.

Thanks Seeley, it's a cool site. I believe I've seen it before but thanks nonetheless. What I was really looking for, however, is a Scout/Sniper who is here on Leatherneck...kinda hear about it straight from the type. One of my buddies is a Scout/Sniper Instructor, so I've heard a lot about it as is, but I'd also like to hear about it from other Marines. Thanks again!

I saw something on the Outdoor Life Network yesterday...it's usually a channel I overlook but now it'll be on my 'to watch' (when I actually do watch TV, it's rare) lists. They had the Combat Sniper Challenge on...Candidates from the Marine Corps, Army, Air Guard, National Guard, Canadian Army, and British Army all competed in a week long sharpshooting competition. It was pretty amazing. Army placed first, National Guard Second, Canadian Army Third, Air National Guard Fourth, and Marine Corps Fifth. That was the leader board if I remember it correctly. It peaked my interest. Any Snipers seeing this post yet?

Missed by a little. I think that was the standings with two events to go. The way they finished was Army first, National Guard second, Marine Scout Snipers third, more National Guard fourth, and Air National Guard in fifth. The Canadians were defending champs, and I think it was the first time the Bits competed. Pretty good stuff. OLN also has Ranger Challenge in which Marines compete. You should keep an eye on the channel, they have some good stuff from time to time.

Registered User Free Member Sniperone's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The MOS of 8541 Scout/Sniper is one that picks the man, not one that you pick. The usual way is once you get to your infantry unit after bootcamp and infantry training and are checking into your battalion someone in admin will see that you have a high expert rifle badge and a 300 PFT or close to it and let the Snipers know they might have a candidate for their Plt. Now days they have try outs in the battalion in which they get volunteers that have the above mentioned qualifications and compete for a slot in the Plt.
    It is not the Job for just anyone... and that is how it should be.

Is it true you need to be a Cpl. or Higher to get into the 8541 MOS? That is what I've heard. And I'm understanding about the job picking the man...it's just my hopes to go out for Scout/Sniper. Thank you!

Talking WAKE UP AND FACE REALITY! ! ! !

You first goal should be to become a Marine, if you should become one of us, than you can think about a career change. Not all who try make it. So don't count your chickens before they hatch. A WORD TO THE WISE IS SUFFICIENT.

Red Dragon aka HL

Registered User Free Member travissoleski's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb The way it should be

Red Dragon is correct, but it is okay guys to have a goal, I did and even though I was discouraged at times I did not give in, compromise or give up. In addition Sniperone is also correct, I left Camp Lejune (Camp Geiger) after SOI, I was actually selected to go Recon, I finished RIP. I volunteered for 3rd Recon Bn in Camp Schwab Okinawa. Well I get there and things changed, I ended up at 4th Marines Scout/Sniper Plt, I ended up getting alot of their training and even competed to go to Quantico VA for the MOS 8541. I was shot out twice. Well later I tried again for Recon and I went and the rest became my personal history. Yes if you meet certian standards then they come looking for you, then after some serious schooling, the decision becomes yours and yes The Decision is mine.
    Swift Scilent and Deadly 0311/8654
    SKI

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Red Dragon is correct becoming a marine comes first. Snipers are picked usually by rifle scores from what I hear from other snipers, each battalion must have different ways of picking up potential snipers I was with STA 2/5 before going to Recon, to be eligible for the try outs you had to be at least 2x expert high first class pft and a good attitude and no glasses.

Silent souls leave 308 holes. You have to be a pig before you are a HOG.

Thread Information