Being away during Thanksgiving and Christmas
Create Post

Being away during Thanksgiving and Christmas

I'm currently on my 10-day boot leave.. I'll be at my MOS school during Thanksgiving and Christmas. It'll be the first time being away from home for such big holidays.

My Mom was telling me about some 4-day leave/liberty. Something about leave and liberty being combined? Also that some MOS schools 'shut down' for the holidays and give Marines leave? At boot camp when we were giving our class on Leave and Liberty, by our COMPANY FIRST SERGEANT, we were told that we'd most likely get up to a 98 (or 96?) hour liberty for holidays ......

So does it all depend on your MOS school? What most likely happens?
    But, getting back on track.. In the event that I'm away from home during Thanksgiving and Christmas, what's the best way to cope with that? I'm very close to my family and it's going to be very hard if I'm not home. I knew while being in the Marine Corps I'd have to sacrifice certain things, such as this situation. I've already had to miss my sisters wedding due to boot camp.

Thanks
    PFC Sokol

P.S - my MOS is B6 Ground Option, which probably makes answering this question a bit harder lol. I guess I won't find out my actual MOS until MCT

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If you are religious and attend a church in the town where your base is, you can probably attend some functions and dinners offered to servicemembers by the local congregation. Check with the USO as well. Get with guys in your same situation and try to make the best of it and make sure nobody is too down. Draw your strength from each other. I am deployed and am in the same situation. For me, this is the hardest deployment as I have only been married to my wife for 5 years and I have a 4 year old daughter who just doesn't understand why dad is gone and how come it has to be for so long.

You better get used to being away from your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    You better get used to being away from your family.
    Ditto.

I got a 96 from MCT and came back to Boston and got time off from my MOS school too. I dont think you will be stuck unless your school doesnt allow you to leave, you wont be schooling though.

Just grab yourself a bottle of 100 proof whiskey to keep yourself warm on those holidays. Me, Okinawa and high proof liquor always made it through the holidays just fine.

U Suckers Missed Christmas

I do remember that my MOS school delayed starting for 10 days or something like that, but it may have been a timing thing......most everybody who wanted leave could go. A lot stayed because we had just arrived a couple weeks earlier and most couldn't afford to go back on leave.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I missed all six Thanksgivings while I was active duty in the Corps and four of six Christmas'. One set was missed while in Vietnam, and a second set in Okinawa. I later missed another Christmas while in the Air Guard during Desert Shield/Storm.

Part of the job description,bro.

My first missed Xmas was at Parris Island, then missed every holiday for the next 3 years, as I was overseas. Had some good times celebrating the holidays with my buds, though!
    Make the best of what you're handed...

Missing the first couple holidays were/are the hardest. It gets easier. Got to the point I would either volunteer for duty to keep my mind off what I was missing or a group of us would get together and make our own Thanksgivings/Christmas dinner. That was always a hoot -- drunk Marines cooking!

missed

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I missed all six Thanksgivings while I was active duty in the Corps and four of six Christmas'. One set was missed while in Vietnam, and a second set in Okinawa. I later missed another Christmas while in the Air Guard during Desert Shield/Storm.

Part of the job description,bro.
    Zulu Did you get to see Bob Hope while in Vietnam? I spent 2 Christmas' in Vietnam never did even get close to a camp where Bob Hope was at. I guess we smelled to bad and they did not us around. That what you get for being a "bush beast"

U can always go ua, all the cool kids do it

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....Marine, or PUSSY?.....

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    @USMC Sokol

Missed the first three holiday seasons entirely that I spent in the Corps on AD. The first one was in PISC. The second in GTMO. The third was in CLNC.

With that (3rd) one being in the states, at least I was able to go hang out with some other Marines who had to stay away from 'home'.

We played a football game against the Officers for Thanksgiving.

For Christmas and New Years we sang songs with some Jack Daniels

Never got home for any holiday in four years so get used to it you are a Marine now that comes first !!!!

Thread Information