Dep
Create Post

Thread: Dep

Dep

I know that this question is one that all parents ask - Can my son get out of his DEP.

Not that I am looking for him to get out. I just want to know that he has an option. He wants to be in the Marine band and that's the only job he is interested in. He has already had his first audition and his second audition is coming up in a week. If he doesn't get that job can he back out of his DEP. Or onced signed in he must fulfill his contract?

have seen lots of things on-line that says he has no obligation and can simply not show up for transportation to boot camp. But I see nothing on the Marine website and the recruiter will not show me something in print from the Marine corp. This makes me wonder if I am getting the full story. Is the recruiter a straight shooter?

Ken

If he signed the contract, the Corps can put him anywhere they like. Just hope that he gets the job with the band.

There are two contracts to sign. One gets signed upon DEPing in to your service of choice. The other is signed before shipping out. That's the final contract; the one that comes with the real oath of enlistment.

I don't know if the Marine Corps band has a different process but a poolee can request to be dropped from the DEP at any point before that final contract gets signed. Don't just have him not show up, either sit down with the recruiter in earnest beforehand or submit a drop request in writing to him.

I'd suggest you speak to someone in person because I don't know if the band has a different enlistment process entirely.

Sir You Need To Fill Out Your Info Section So We Will Know Who We Are Talking To.
    Thank You And Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

When I was in the DEP, they gave us an option to back out right before going to the airport to leave for Parris Island. Why would you want him to back out though? If he's in the Marine Corps Band you wouldn't have to worry about him being in combat ;]

Pretty important what Marine Band he's shooting for. If it's the "President's Own", they don't go to boot.

Thread Information