OCC 3 Mile Run
Create Post

Thread: OCC 3 Mile Run

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

OCC 3 Mile Run

I have been training and working out for the last couple months to apply for OCC once I graduate this June. However, while I am making gains on pull-ups and crunches, I can not seem to get my three mile run below 29 minutes. Help and advice please... I have never been a good runner, and honestly am lost at how to improve.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    29 minutes!?!?.......wow, you need to drop almost 10 minutes off that to even be competitive for selection and to be honest I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I am a horrible runner and still come in at about 22 minutes on my PFT. You are either in horrendous shape or you need to put out 80x more. I would also suggest a serious check on yourself and whether the Corps is right for you

Credits
    Savings
    I know it is embarrassing, the pull-ups and crunches are no problem, just the run. However I would do anything to qualify, and the Marine Corps is a life goal, so by the time I test, I am going to run three miles in under 20 or die on the track. I would just rather not die on the track. One month ago, I wasn't even able to get past a mile. I was just hoping for tips on bringing my time down.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First off, you need to fill out a profile...

Second, the only way to improve your run time is to keep running and push yourself past what you think your limit is. Include some weight training with running a few times a week.

Kyle,
    Go download some cadence chants for running that are available and start running to them. Most of them will put you on a 6 - 7 minute mile. Play those and use them to train yourself. Doing 3 miles in 18 - 20 minutes is pretty easy. 29 minutes says you must spend the majority of your time walking or moving at a walking pace.

You can also set up to run a 6 minute mile and when you accomplish that... increase it to a 1.5 mile run in 9 minutes...2 mile run in 12, 2.5 in 15 and finally 3 in 20. Giving you a couple of extra at the end because I figure by then you are getting very tired. Build up slowly. Way too many people max out the first mile and having nothing left for the other two.

Keep updating the board on your progress.

dont do weights, you need crazy cardio son. 29 minutes? what the hell is OCC? I didnt think paul jr or paul sr had a 3 mile timed run you had to make in order to get hired there.

Lastly, you ARE NOT officer material. Go enlisted first because Ill tell you right now, you will get raped physically at OCS and secondly you are not even remotely close to officer material physically.

You have problems running 1 mile? Be honest, how f*cking fat are you, whats your bmi?

Credits
    Savings
    Never been over 25 bmi... just never been a long distance runner. Used to do track, but only sprinting, I thought the three miles would be the easy part.

week 1....mon-friday .5 mile slow run, stretch. then 1.5 mile run as fast as you can, stretch

do that for week one

week 2 same except for 2.5 miles

week 3 mon same/tuesday sprints/weds same/thursday sprints/friday same

week 4 same as 1/2 except 3 mile run

drink lots of water every day, you are fat son with a bmi of 25% You need a 1200 calorie a day diet. After your runs push ups, crunches and other various. Then PROTEIN, chicken, meat shake something protein will help your muscles rebuild and get stronger

0 fast food, none. Splurge one day a week only. My diet was oatmeal in the am, special k shake for lunch and dinner and 2 snacks daily(yogurt and cottage cheese)

you will drop weight and slim up. DO IT

Have you spoken to an OSO about OCC?
    How long have you been training? Have you taken a PFT before?

This is not an attempt to insult you but I have a really hard time understanding how you cannot run 3 miles in under 29 minutes. If you are not able to improve that tremendously, you will not come close to getting accepted to OCS. Should you somehow find yourself there, if you can't run 3 miles in under 21 comfortably you probably will not graduate OCS.

Listen to the Lt, as well as the other Marines here.

You HAVE to be competitive to even be considered. With this run time, you aren't even close. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. We aren't here to dogpile you about it, but that's how it is in our world. Quite frankly, I KNOW I couldn't likely do 3 miles in under 30 minutes these days....but I'm 46, with a frakked up spine. The last 2 miler I did 3 years ago I did in 14 minutes. I was 43, smoked a pack a day, and could drink most people under the table, with multiple previous broken ankles and 3 blown discs in my neck.

In other words, you got a LOT of work to do.

Thread Information