not a marine but thinking of getting a marine tattoo in honor of my father.opinions?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

not a marine but thinking of getting a marine tattoo in honor of my father.opinions?

hi not sure if this is the right section to post this.so im sorry if its not the right spot.im the proud son of a former marine parris island platoon 298.and i was thinking of getting a tattoo in honor/tribute of my father as a marine.i was thinking of getting the marine emblem on the inside of my bicep.my question is would this in anyway be considered disrespectful considering i am not a marine.i wouldnt want to disrespect any marine or anyone of our armed forces.please get back to me with any type of response id be glad to hear it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Marine_Corps_Emblem_1_.jpg‎
Views:	4222
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	8879  

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It would probably be a good idea to fill your profile. Marines here like to know who they are talking to....

ok put some info sorry guys

Credits
    Savings
    In Honor of, or In Memory of, and you should be good to go.

BTW, that was an Officer correcting you. Did you notice his non-texting, proper punctuation and capitalization, style of writing?

Maybe like a tombstone with a name and EGA on it?

There is a fine line....

Just be prepared to be questioned for the rest of your life whenever a Marine see you/it. We are not shy.

But as long as it is done right, for the expressed right reasons, then the most you'll get after encountering one of us is a shake of the hand and maybe a Semper Fi.

Just keep the tattoo respectful. Honoring your dad is nothing harmful.

I'm proud !!

My Grand-daughter, got a tattoo, and surprised me with it. She has the DEVILDOG tattooed just above her left shoulder blade, with POPS on the base of the tat, It looks great, I'm proud to know, She thinks that much of me. I have no problem with that. She has always called me 'POPS'. I think it's fine, as long as it has meaning. I've seen a few that I didn't like, and let the people wearing them know I wasn't happy with them.

thanx guys i appreciatr your input very much.i respect everything youve done.and yes i expect to be asked alot if i am a marine.but im thinking of just a simple marine emblem like the one i put above on the insideof my bicep where i make a muscle so its very well seen if i make a muscle and it will also be incorporated once i get my sleeve done so it wont be as visible once its all done itll blend in beautiful.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by peterock29 View Post
    thanx guys i appreciatr your input very much.i respect everything youve done.and yes i expect to be asked alot if i am a marine.but im thinking of just a simple marine emblem like the one i put above on the insideof my bicep where i make a muscle so its very well seen if i make a muscle and it will also be incorporated once i get my sleeve done so it wont be as visible once its all done itll blend in beautiful.
    Big Al, I see your advice was taken to heart...sadly no.What say we repair to the gentleman's lounge and have a shot or two or three of Scotch on me?. You bring the ice I got the bottle

Would it be OK if I did (such-n-such)? No? OK, thanks, I'll do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Big Al, I see your advice was taken to heart...sadly no.What say we repair to the gentleman's lounge and have a shot or two or three of Scotch on me?. You bring the ice I got the bottle
    This is a day to day trench battle.

Sadly, there are very few fighting it anymore. Those that understand the concept of respect for others were taught by EXAMPLE to have respect for themselves. Respect for others comes from that.

From this thread, I see a young civilian, who holds a strong love for his Grandfather, asking if it would be disrespectful to place an emblem his Grandfather earned and loved, on his own body.

I would answer that with; no it would not be disrespectful; in fact, I would consider it a matter given respect. I would add that it would be disrespectful to all other Marines if you do not add "For Pop" or even just "Pops", something along that line. It would, functionally, be no different than a "Proud Grandson of a United States Marine" bumper sticker.

But peterock29, something to think on.

When asking a question, perhaps you should observe the people you are asking, and ask in a manner that would not be taken as disrespectful. Learn to use all of the keys on your keyboard, including the shift key, when needed. We old command line farts used to answer questions like yours with RTFM.

And Gentlemen; ice on Scotch? Okay... to each his own. Johnnie Walker Red neat myself, but then I'm just a big dumb grunt. I won't ever meet you in a Gentlemans lounge, but if you want to park your backside on a log next to the fire in the back yard, I'll be happy to toss you a cup and pass the bottle to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    Would it be OK if I did (such-n-such)? No? OK, thanks, I'll do it anyway.
    Tell me you didn't do the same once or twice.

I learned, at a young age, it was easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Our children learn what we teach them. They learn best by example.

MY son has learned that permission is a LOT easier to get than forgiveness, and showing respect to others is how you get others to show respect to you.

He's also learned the use of a fast right jab, and strong left hook.

Peace by superior fire power. Honor by judicious use of that fire power. Respect by demonstration.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjar View Post
    This is a day to day trench battle.

Sadly, there are very few fighting it anymore. Those that understand the concept of respect for others were taught by EXAMPLE to have respect for themselves. Respect for others comes from that.

From this thread, I see a young civilian, who holds a strong love for his Grandfather, asking if it would be disrespectful to place an emblem his Grandfather earned and loved, on his own body.

I would answer that with; no it would not be disrespectful; in fact, I would consider it a matter given respect. I would add that it would be disrespectful to all other Marines if you do not add "For Pop" or even just "Pops", something along that line. It would, functionally, be no different than a "Proud Grandson of a United States Marine" bumper sticker.

But peterock29, something to think on.

When asking a question, perhaps you should observe the people you are asking, and ask in a manner that would not be taken as disrespectful. Learn to use all of the keys on your keyboard, including the shift key, when needed. We old command line farts used to answer questions like yours with RTFM.

And Gentlemen; ice on Scotch? Okay... to each his own. Johnnie Walker Red neat myself, but then I'm just a big dumb grunt. I won't ever meet you in a Gentlemans lounge, but if you want to park your backside on a log next to the fire in the back yard, I'll be happy to toss you a cup and pass the bottle to ya.
    Well said! Unfortunately people coming out of high schools today can't or won't write properly. Most colleges and universities have freshman writing courses just to teach the basics

But language evolves over time. Perhaps in 50 years texting will be an accepted form of communication on all but the highest levels. We no longer use words such as thou, thee, dost etc.

I'd be honored to sit on a log and pass the bottle. Sadly I was taught to drink Scotch on the rocks and never weened myself from the habit. Now Bourbon is another matter entirely

Thread Information