Family Day On Parris Island: Moto Run
Create Post

Family Day On Parris Island: Moto Run

I'm falling a bit behind.
    Today's link is about the Moto Run on Family Day.
    I have to try and get caught up, I still have some video from Graduation Day to share, as well as a story about my chance meeting with a man I believe to have been General F.M. Padilla.

If indeed it was him. I'm lucky I didn't get quarteddeck for life.

Anyway, here's the Moto Run:

http://rightwingwizkid.blogspot.com/...-moto-run.html

That is interesting. They didn't used to do that. Back in the good old days you get cut loose on Friday for family day. I was at San Diego without a fmaily so I ended up eating food and looking longly at beer at the bowling alley. I was sick as a dog that night.

How is it being a recruit in front of family? Proud, scared, embarrassing?

Also, I understand that you get an EGA after the crucible. Do the DIs treat you different after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyius View Post
    That is interesting. They didn't used to do that. Back in the good old days you get cut loose on Friday for family day. I was at San Diego without a fmaily so I ended up eating food and looking longly at beer at the bowling alley. I was sick as a dog that night.

How is it being a recruit in front of family? Proud, scared, embarrassing?

Also, I understand that you get an EGA after the crucible. Do the DIs treat you different after that?
    I believe I'm at fault for causing a bit of confusion.
    I am not PFC Holly, I am her father, I post the articles on the blog and stop by here.

To try and answer your questions, Holly was as confident around us as she had ever been, that is one of the qualities that got her through.

Yes, they did receive their EGA's after the Crucible, the date was September 11th.
    I'm still wrapping my head around that one.

As far as treatment, she told me that the DI's did loosen up a bit after the Crucible, in her words, "we learned what the difference was between being treated like recruits and treated like Marines."

Yeaaaaa...PI is nothing like the fleet, even when you're a Marine your still treated like sh!t. Parris Island is not the real Marine Corps.
    Plus, I didn't have a moto run...damn SC weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    Yeaaaaa...PI is nothing like the fleet, even when you're a Marine your still treated like sh!t. Parris Island is not the real Marine Corps.
    Plus, I didn't have a moto run...damn SC weather.
    Not quite sure where you're going with this one.

Having only been there as a visitor, Parris Island sure seemed like the real deal to me.

And none of the Marines I have known in my lifetime have thought they were treated like sh*t

You'll find out soon enough. Drill Instructors and fleet Marines are to totally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    You'll find out soon enough. Drill Instructors and fleet Marines are to totally different things.
    Well, I won't be finding out.
    My daughter, PFC Holly, will.

But I feel she will be able to handle what might come her way.

Sempre Fidelis !

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiParent View Post
    Well, I won't be finding out.
    My daughter, PFC Holly, will.

But I feel she will be able to handle what might come her way.
    Rest assured, DAD, Your daughter will do fine. The roads in the Marine Corps have their share of pot-holes but as long as she keeps her head on straght, she can overcome the attitudes she'll run into. A lot of people get carried away by their stripes, or their shoulder 'pops'. If she just rolls with it, she'll be a winner, not a whiner. Wish her well for me. S/F!! Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenrobg30 View Post
    Rest assured, DAD, Your daughter will do fine. The roads in the Marine Corps have their share of pot-holes but as long as she keeps her head on straght, she can overcome the attitudes she'll run into. A lot of people get carried away by their stripes, or their shoulder 'pops'. If she just rolls with it, she'll be a winner, not a whiner. Wish her well for me. S/F!! Ken
    Thank's Ken

I'll pass along your good wishes as soon as I hear from her, she just left on Monday for MCT.

Oops!!

There I go again, that 'POPS' was supposed to read 'PIPS'. I hate it when I do that. It always kicks my OCD into high gear. S/F!! Ken

That seems like a good idea. An adjustment period would have come in handy. Going from "left shoe now, move" to "here is your ticket and orders, Marine, have a good leave" was a bit of a shock. One of the other guys organized a group taxi to the airport and I was fine after a long flight, but checking into 29 stumps for school (no MCT back then) was also a little weird because they really left you mostly alone as long as you were on time for working parties and later for class (and weren't failing).

Quote Originally Posted by Garyius View Post
    That seems like a good idea. An adjustment period would have come in handy. Going from "left shoe now, move" to "here is your ticket and orders, Marine, have a good leave" was a bit of a shock. One of the other guys organized a group taxi to the airport and I was fine after a long flight, but checking into 29 stumps for school (no MCT back then) was also a little weird because they really left you mostly alone as long as you were on time for working parties and later for class (and weren't failing).
    Yeah, she has her time at MCT and then has to hop on a plane or bus for her MOS schooling

Dad if Holly keeps her head on straight and goes with the program she will be alright.She already has done what few men much less women have done.She has become a U.S.Marine

Thread Information