Picking My MOS. Advice.
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Picking My MOS. Advice.

Hi,

I just swore in this friday, October 1st. I wont be leaving to boot camp until August 2011 after I graduate from college so I have a little bit of time to pick an MOS. According to my recruiter, my ASVAB score and line scores are good enough for any job in the Marine Corps. I have had a few different MOS in mind.

0261 Geographic Intel (which has always been at the top of my list), something from the 18xx field or a Crew Chief on a helo.

I would appreciate any help or advice from Marines in these fields. If you could list your specific MOS and what your job was like both state side and on deployment (if applicable) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by NMSU11 View Post
    0261 Geographic Intel (which has always been at the top of my list)
    So you want to be a surveyor and cartographer? Around here i see timber cruisers who are busy as loggers until the mills or politicians close the gates. Cruisers sometimes cross azimuths with USGS surveyors who are out in the nastiest bresh revising map topography and replacing markers, pretty good jobs for an outdoorsman. Not so sure about the military gig, but probably less field work and more reliance on second hand intel, though it sounds interesting if your fascinated with topo and land nav

I've never met an 0261 that I know of and I'm in the 02 field.

maybe they're wispy like ninjas

All my years as an 02 and I only met one, he was a 'latmover' into 0231. Might be a pretty cool job and if it's something you are interested in, then GO for it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im actually majoring in Geography and specializing in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) so the whole outdoors thing really appeals to me. Since I am majoring in Geography I don't know wether I should pick an MOS that would help me out once out of the Corps or something else outside of my field that I would enjoy.

I would mate the two, especially if you are planning on not making a career of the Marine Corps.

Thread Information