About to enlist
Create Post

Thread: About to enlist

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

About to enlist

Hi Marines, I went into my nearest recruiting office and took the Pre-ASVAB, and met my recruiter. Talked with my parents today, that didn't go so well...

But anyways, regardless of that, I wanted to be doing a combat arms job such as infantry, armor, artillery, or something of the sort. But this last week or so my perception of life and death has been shattered by the passing of a girl who graduated my high school last year. I really don't think I want choose an MOS that involves me shooting at someone every day. I understand and accept that being a Marine is a dangerous job, but I've also come to grips with the sheer fragility of life. I've been thinking of choosing the communications field or trying to be a helicopter crew chief. I do understand that I'm not allowed to pick my MOS exactly, but are there any Marines here in either field 06 or 61 fields who could give me the jist of the job? From what google tells me, I repair and operate radios or preform maintenance on helicopters and act as the enlisted crew of the chopper. So not exactly helpful.

I figure these jobs would also help out a bit in the civilian world..

I'm not comm, but if you go comm and end up in a line company for a grunt battalion, your a*s could very well be a grunt with a radio on your back going on patrol.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I figured that job could put me anywhere...

I feel kind of bad for wanting a POG job too, but it's what I gotta do..

Actually, at least you are HONEST about it, so I'll give you points there. Crew chief on a helo is a VERY cool job IMO, but check the stats for crashes and other accidents. Just remember there ain't no 'chutes on a helo. LOL.

Being infantry/arty/tanks is NOT for everyone, and not everyone is 'for' those jobs, either. But you'll be a basically trained rifleman and expected to perform in that function should the need arise. Also, crew chiefs man the helos' guns so don't forget that.

There is always admin, supply, motor t, intelligence, and a whole host of other MOS's.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind being on the gun in a chopper, it's the other 95% of grunt life that I don't know is for me. Don't get me wrong though, if comms gets me put as a RTO in a grunt platoon I'll do the job as best as I can. I'll have to talk with my recruiter about it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help Sergeant, I see your signature says you were in intel and comms? What kind of stuff did you do?

In intelligence, basically compile and collate raw data into a useable product for the Commander. Sounds dull but if you like research, it's not. BUT...that was a long time ago...check out the 'Intel' thread, the Marine writing it is more up to date than I am.

In Comm, you basically hump a radio and send messages back and forth. However, nowadays that's changed from the old fashioned stuff we carried. It was interesting but also, at times, a whole level of 'suck' that can't be described accurately. There are also a couple of threads that talk about that, use the search feature, these Marines are more up to date on a lot of it than I am...and it would be more relevant for you.

v/r

Do not feel bad about not wanting to be a Grunt. It's not for everyone. But remember, absolutely every job in the Corps is important and has it's own benefits.

Personally, I'd go crew chief or something in aviation.

Swing with the wing....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Is life in the wing generally better than the "rest" of the Corps? I've heard the two are entirely different beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexJH View Post
    Is life in the wing generally better than the "rest" of the Corps? I've heard the two are entirely different beasts.
    Just come down to Jacksonville and look at the difference between the places we live. Where I live is like the projects of the Ukrane and New River is living in Miami Beach.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, it'll take some more thinking. I can't say 100% that I wouldn't want to be boots on the ground even if i had to hump the radio, because that's what drew me to the Corps originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Actually, at least you are HONEST about it, so I'll give you points there. Crew chief on a helo is a VERY cool job IMO, but check the stats for crashes and other accidents. Just remember there ain't no 'chutes on a helo. LOL.
    Not to mention the fact you may have some boot LT at the helm with your life in his hands. With minimal hours that a Banner Tow Pilot flying up and down the beach would laugh at. (facetious)

Thread Information