first function
    1.5 mile run: 12:52
    pull ups: 13
    crunchs:68
    Current stats
    1.5 mile run: 10:32
    pull ups: 21
    crunchs: 125

for the fact that they can do it, and also it helps other types of P.T. get better.

First IST:
    13 pullups
    69 situps
    10:38 mile and a half

Most Recent IST:
    15 pullups
    104 situps
    9:40 mile and a half

Speaking of 15 pullups.. I've hit that number my last 4 IST's.. I seem to hit a wall and can't get to 16 or more pullups. Been working out but any specific suggestions on improving pullups further?!

Do a lot of pull ups. You can buy a pull up bar at wal mart that to hang on doors and when your at home do a max set every commercial. Doing that should help.

Had to take another IST for weight waiver (I leave on Feb 27 and I'm 6lbs over) apparently I'm fat
    Pullups-22
    Crunches- 100
    Run- 9:55

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeFuller View Post
    First IST:
    13 pullups
    69 situps
    10:38 mile and a half

Most Recent IST:
    15 pullups
    104 situps
    9:40 mile and a half

Speaking of 15 pullups.. I've hit that number my last 4 IST's.. I seem to hit a wall and can't get to 16 or more pullups. Been working out but any specific suggestions on improving pullups further?!
    I went from 16 pullups to 20 in two weeks of doing this, then 10 days later I did 22 (This Tuesday)

Take half the pullups you do (7) and do 7-8 sets of 7 throughout the day everyday and max out every two weeks to gauge progress. I do a set of 8-9 (tho I pullup so my nips hit the bar to work my muscleups) every hour - Hour and a half of the day, everyday. It's called Greasing the Groove for more info (Pavel @ DragonDoor recommends it)

In a week I do close to 350 (+/-) pullups at 50% instead of 1 session of just maxing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a pullup bar at home that I use. I've also been doing sets lately with a weighted vest (25lbs) so hopefully that helps. And I work out about 3 times a week at the gym (separate from running)...

But I'll start giving that a try as far as doing pullups every day rather than just on work-out days like I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeFuller View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a pullup bar at home that I use. I've also been doing sets lately with a weighted vest (25lbs) so hopefully that helps. And I work out about 3 times a week at the gym (separate from running)...

But I'll start giving that a try as far as doing pullups every day rather than just on work-out days like I have been.
    Make sure you're doing about half the amount, if you max you won't give your muscles the time re coup and you will stall and over train

Does anyone know some tips to improve the running time? I was at 13:35 on the 1.5 run and I went down in my last IST to 11:20. I want to hit the 10's!!! Some tips please?

1st IST (20110701)
    1.5 mile @ 11:20
    pullups: 14
    crunches: 64

Most recent IST (20120202)
    1.5mile @ 9:58
    pullups: 20
    crunches: 88

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo1992 View Post
    Does anyone know some tips to improve the running time? I was at 13:35 on the 1.5 run and I went down in my last IST to 11:20. I want to hit the 10's!!! Some tips please?
    well, obviously you need to run frequently. But also you need to sprint. Work sprints into your runs, that's how we improve our times on the track team. If weight is an issue, eat less.

Good luck

While you're running, on your own, sprint at random times and keep sprinting until you can't anymore and then run again. DON'T STOP! I improved my run 8 seconds by doing this. Best improvement is running 4 miles on hills then doing IST the next day, I improved my run by 1+ minute doing this, that was a while ago though.

Sprints and hill work are the answer. As far as sprints, I recommend fartleks. The idea is to jog a portion (say 1/8 mile) then sprint an equivalent portion, in series. I'd say do about a mile of this sprinkled throughout your weekly running routine. The hills I'd usually do after a run, I'd find a nice hill and just run up it with as long a stride as I could take to really work my upper leg muscles. Do that a couple times until you're really gassed and you'll start noticing some nice improvement in your run times.

Good luck to you, keep us informed on your progress.

How long do you have until you ship for boot camp? Depending on how long you can currently run without stopping and depending how long until you leave, it would probably be best to do a progressive running schedule. And yes sprinting is good as well.

Run intervals 2-3 times a week.. For example my run today: 10 minute warmup jog, then 8x30second intervals. So for 30sec I run (not a full sprint but pretty fast) then steady jog 1 minute, then again 30sec run... 8 times. Then a 10 minute cool down jog.

Other days just run distance. I've read articles and studies about how running slower but longer can actually help you run faster over time. It's about increasing your aerobic fitness.

njdevilsfan427
    Guest Free Member
    First IST
    pull-ups: 8
    sit-ups: 75
    run: 12:59

Latest IST
    pull-ups: 14
    sit-ups: 106
    run: 12:30

very frusterated with my run time. i run all the time with the poolees and it just wont go down.

Thread Information