Top Secret Security Clearance
Create Post

Unhappy Top Secret Security Clearance

Ok, i saw the other thread about this topic but for some reason i dont have permission to post a new reply, which makes no sense.

In any case I was really worried about getting TSC. I'm a natural born citizen and all but I have it on record that i have used marijuana in the past. It's been over a year and half since I stopped so i had no trouble DEPing. The second thing is that have two "satisfied" judgments for fare evasion. Again I had no trouble DEPing in since i paid the fines and they both totaled less than $300. Still, I'm worried because I want to be a marine security guard and I know you get exposed to sensitive information, so you would need TSC. I hear that those TSC guys get real anal (am i allowed to say anal?) if your record isn't totally clean. please any advice or information anyone has would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

P.S. If a moderator could merge this with the other thread on this subject, it would be much appreciated. thanks again

Here's the thing - the Corps knows that teenagers do stupid stuff before they decide to enlist (and some do it after they enlist, but that's a different story).

Rule number one - always be honest about it. Lying or covering it up will only show that you can't be trusted.

Rule number two - stop doing it / don't do it again. You need to demonstrate that you've learned your lesson and that you won't do it again.

the Corps does not give the clearance. Thats all done through OPM, they biggest key is to fill out your SF 186 completely and honestly, the more work you do and if you fill it out honestly the less they will have to do. If they do catch an error or something that raises a flag they will be up your azz. For top secret they WILL visit neighbors and others. My buddy just went through it for Border patrol. I take my BP exam Nov 18th so I get to go through it

There are 13 Adjudicative Guidelines that the Department of the Navy Central Adjudication uses in determining eligibility for a security clearance. Below are the two Guidelines in regards to Financial Considerations and Drug Involvement:

GUIDELINE F: FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS

18. The Concern. An individual who is financially overextended is at risk of having to engage in illegal acts to generate funds. Unexplained affluence is often linked to proceeds from financially profitable criminal acts.

19. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include: (a) A history of not meeting financial obligations; (b) deceptive or illegal financial practices such as embezzlement, employee theft, check fraud, income tax evasion, expense account fraud, filing deceptive loan statements, and other intentional financial breaches of trust;

(c) inability or unwillingness to satisfy debts;

(d) unexplained affluence;

(e) financial problems that are linked to gambling, drug abuse, alcoholism, or other issues of security concern.

20. Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include: (a) the behavior was not recent;

(b) it was an isolated incident;

(c) the conditions that resulted in the behavior were largely beyond the person's control (e.g., loss of employment, a business downturn, unexpected medical emergency, or a death, divorce or separation);

(d) the person has received or is receiving counseling for the problem and there are clear indications that the problem is being resolved or is under control;

(e) the affluence resulted from a legal source; and

(f) the individual initiated a good-faith effort to repay overdue creditors or otherwise resolve debts.

GUIDELINE H: DRUG INVOLVEMENT

24. The Concern. (a) Improper or illegal involvement with drugs raises questions regarding an individual's willingness or ability to protect classified information. Drug abuse or dependence may impair social or occupational functioning, increasing the risk of an unauthorized disclosure of classified information

(b) Drugs are defined as mood and behavior altering substances, and include: (1) drugs, materials, and other chemical compounds identified and listed in the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, as amended (e.g., marijuana or cannabis, depressants, narcotics, stimulants, and hallucinogens), and (2) inhalants and other similar substances.

(c) Drug abuse is the illegal use of a drug or use of a legal drug in a manner that deviates from approved medical direction.

25. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include: (a) Any drug abuse (see above definition);

(b) illegal drug possession, including cultivation, processing, manufacture, purchase, sale, or distribution;

(c) diagnosis by a credentialed medical professional (e.g., physician, clinical psychologist, or psychiatrist) of drug abuse or drug dependence;

(d) evaluation of drug abuse or drug dependence by a licensed clinical social worker who is a staff member of a recognized drug treatment program;

(e) failure to successfully complete a drug treatment program prescribed by a credentialed medical professional. Recent drug involvement, especially following the granting of a security clearance, or an expressed intent not to discontinue use, will almost invariably result in an unfavorable determination.

26. Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include: (a) the drug involvement was not recent;

(b) the drug involvement was an isolated or infrequent event;

(c) a demonstrated intent not to abuse any drugs in the future;

(d) satisfactory completion of a prescribed drug treatment program, including rehabilitation and aftercare requirements, without recurrence of abuse, and a favorable prognosis by a credentialed medical professional.

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I also got a chance to talk to my recruiter and he explained that, since the drug involvement was a RSS level wavier and the tickets were a civil case rather than State or Federal, TSC should be no problem. Furthermore, according to the guidelines, I should be good to go.

but I have it on record that i have used marijuana in the past.
    How many uses (#) did you have it on record as having indulged in?

3 or less, you should be fine. I have a TS clearance, am on a Marajuana use enlistment waiver, and am currently attending Marine Security Guard school right now.

beltayn, you from havelock? My wifes bro lives there. he is an air winger at CP

I have it on record that I used Marijuana 5 times between 1/1/08 and 4/21/09 and I haven't used it since then. The Gunny at MEPS asked me about it and he didn't seem to have a problem with it. That stuff stays in your system for a while too, something like a year from what i hear. So i would've had to have been clean for around a year to not pop positive.

But how is marine security guard school? was it hard to get in? what advice do u have for me if that's the path i want to take?

And also congrats

You will have at least two years to mess up more once you have entered the Marine Corps before you can even consider MSG duty. Stay clean and remember the three most important rules in life: Be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there, do what you are told when you are told to do it, and keep yourself and your gear squared away.

During MSG school, there will be about three interviews conducted. Stay consistent on your answers. That is what they are looking for. Otherwise, enjoy your tour.

Quote Originally Posted by motox151 View Post
    beltayn, you from havelock? My wifes bro lives there. he is an air winger at CP
    Just left Cherry Point. It was a pretty good duty station. I liked it.

Currently at Quantico attending MSG school with class 1-11.

hey marine! what about my questions?

The initial MSG interview is about showing that you have the responsibility to become an Embassy guard. Your past won't matter as much as long as you show you've moved on from it.

When I did my initial interview, I had 3 speeding tickets in 4 years. I made it. My friend had 8 speeding tickets in 1 year, he was DQ'd for that. "Lack of maturity".

If you want to do MSG then focus on gaining MOS credibility and being the best Marine you can be, and then put in a package once you are an experienced LCPL or CPL.

Not much else to say about that. If you get in you get in, if you don't you don't. there's nothing really special you should do to prepare beyond what you should do anyway.

Thanks a lot Marines, I really appreciate the help and advice. Good luck to you all in what ever endeavors you may take on. Hopefully one day I will claim the title and move on to becoming a MSG.

Thread Information