eagle scouts? any stories or advice?
Create Post

Arrow eagle scouts? any stories or advice?

does this eagle scout pay off? How does the Marine Corps view this award? Does it help with anything in the Marine Corp knowledge, training, etc.?

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    The Marine Corp, that I know of, offers no benefits for being an Eagle Scout. However I'm sure you will benefit somewhat when it comes to training, and possibly some out in the field. Already knowing how to shine your boots for example, or keeping a clean uniform. Meritouriosly or financially, you'll earn nothing - but we're not here manage finances or decorate our uniforms - we're here to protect and serve our country.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I honestly don't know if the award is published in your jacket. But I do know that the indivdual earning Eagle Scout is a cut above the rest of the herd. Me personally, I was one merit badge away from Star, and have regretted it ever since.

Correction.

Becoming an Eagle Scout is one way of going in as a PFC, provided you don't screw up in Recruit Training.

My Recruiter told me about a Recruit was was going to graduate as Platoon Guide. He had his stripe sewn on to hisuniform for graduation. 2 days before they were to graduate, another Recruit made the Guide angry, so the Guide beat the crap out of the other Recruit. He got fired two days before graduating, and they took his stripe. Apparently there was basically the outline of a PFC chevron on his shirt two days later at graduation. How's that for nice and embarrassing?

thanks all it's cool to hear these warnings I guess you would call them. thanks.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was down at the Recruiting Command office in San Diego the other day. They were doing interviews for the NROTC scholarships, so there were a few high school kids waiting around. I went into the interview office with my Recruiter to say hello to the Captain who was doing the interviews and they got to talking about being an Eagle Scout. My Recruiter asked the Captain if that really did make a difference and the Captain said (direct quote), "Oh, it's huge." He went on to say that if they had two equally qualified applicants, but one was an Eagle Scout, they would choose the Eagle Scout. Apparently, when applying to OCS or for the scholarship or anything where proven leadership is an asset, being an Eagle Scout is pretty darn helpful. He didn't say being ES meant you'd be a better Marine or that you knew more about the Corps, his main points were about leadership and maturity.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Come On, Kids. This question is a "no brainer". Don't be so esoteric. Break it down into little bits and pieces and the answer shouts at you.

What is an Eagle Scout? Someone who has achieved the highest award, and highest honors amongst his peer group.

He has become one of the best that his group, in this case The Boy Scouts, has to offer. It is not a gratuitous position, but one that is earned only after having been transformed into that being.

However we show, or hide it, we all respect success. (The Drill Instructor may hide it better than others.)

From the gitgo, you are considered to be a step above ALL of your peers. The rest is up to you. (It's embarrassing to finish in the last half of the pack when you started the race with a ten step lead.)

However, if it is an indicator of who and what you are, you will go far. Look forward to the time you can provide an extensive list your accomplishments, and your qualifications for position or advancement.

High on that list will be "I am a Marine (......), no longer on active
    duty. Some place below it, interspersed with other accomplishments will be, "I was also an Eagle Scout, which started my list of achievements."

Also, remember subtlety can be awesome. There is a difference between "You can't talk to me that way, I was an Eagle Scout", and "Wow, where did you learn THAT?" "Oh, I was an Eagle Scout."

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    FirstSgtMIke,
    "Oh, I was an Eagle Scout."- to borrow from the Marines Corps on how, Once a Marine, Always a Marine, I would like to say the same for being an Eagle Scout. "Oh, I am an Eagle Scout" to me sounds better and more assertive if you do not mind, to me as an Eagle Scout, just saying "...was an Eagle Scout" seems to imply that it is something that has passed you. For those who were concerned abotu what Eagle Scout does for you as Poolee Murray had already stated, and so as the FirstSgt, being an Eagle Scout is a huge asset going into the Marine Corps, proven leadership and the desire to continue. I am going in January after one semester of college, with the intent of PLC. One of the first things i made sure of when signing my contract was that they knew I was Eagle Scout and I provided them with my card. Within the next day, my name was on teh DEP board as PFC and I have one referral under my belt in addition to that, however I am workign to add two more to that. FirstSgtMike, as well as Poolee Murray,thank you for speaking up about Eagle Scouts.
    Poolee Dewson

It is nice to hear from other eagle scouts here. The phrase "once a Marine always a Marine" is the same for eagle scouts, "Once a eagle always an eagle". NO MATTER WHAT!

I am an eagle scout and leaving for boot on OCT 27. I am wondering if anyone knows of any ways other then referals to reach E-3. so far in all my testing and poolee functions i have been expected to acheive more and try harder because i am an eagle scout. the recruiters are also refering to me as "the eagle scout" so obviously it is a signifacant thing to have under your belt and well worth the time spent to get it.

jstkiknit

If you are a Pfc and Company Iron Man you (may) will get E-3, or if you are a Pfc and Guide I believe your Senior DI has the option of promoting you as well. H3ll, most Salty Marines probably scoff at Marines coming out with even a stripe, let alone crossed sticks. Think about it.....who is better off - a Marine who is an E3 and been in the fleet for a year and a half and knows his job, or an E3 straight out of SOI or wherever who doesn't have a clue? Trust me, I am in a grunt unit and I haven't been through SOI yet. I work twice as hard to learn what is just second nature to them, like tearing apart a SAW and clean it. I listen to an E1. Why? Because he knows his stuff, and I'll be d@mned if I am going to get one of my brothers killed because I am to proud to listen to someone of lesser rank. You have to follow before you can lead.

Semper Fi,

Joe

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Yuk-yuk, that reminds me of a humorous TV show, Joan of Arcadia. God told Joan, "First you have to be good at something before you can be humble about it!"

Marines don't have that problem!

Robo I could not agree with you more. I had a boot right out of Sere School who came out of there as a E-4 a f'n cpl I was a lance with 4 yrs the idiot did something stupid like not paying attention cause he was the Corpral and I ended up in the hospital with a broken back.

In as far as being an Eagle Scout noone the time while I was in gave a rip, we even had a prior service Army dog in boot camp with us just back from DS1 and he was in the pit breaking a sweat and no more a leader then my hard on in the morning.

You want your Eagle Scout to count for something take what you have learned and use it wisley. It is not a meal ticket for you and if you think it is you will loose.

Be proud of what you earned it was not easy, but either is earning the title MARINE!

The Title Marine once you earn it will pale Eagle Scout for a long time to come and will not mean as much in comparison.

Thread Information