Top Secret Security Clearance
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Top Secret Security Clearance

Hello Marines,

Im looking at being a 0231, it looks interesting and it can give me choices if/when i do decide to discharge from the Marine Corps.

But i heard this TSC is very hard to get and im worried that i wont be able to get it. I have no criminal records but i did get in trouble in high school alot with drugs, and all though i may have never been in trouble with the law i think this may DQ me from getting one (Perscription Meds). I also told MEPS i never did drugs because my recruiter said if its not on file dont say anything. My father also lives outside of the country and i heard that dosent help either.

So when they interview me should i bring my drug history up? Will i get in trouble when i come clean? I want to be honest but im scared of what the consequences could be.

There are 13 Adjudicative Guidelines that are used in determining eligibility for a security clearance. Below is the Adjudicative Guideline for drug involvement:

GUIDELINE H: DRUG INVOLVEMENT
    24. The Concern. (a) Improper or illegal involvement with drugs raises questions regarding an individual's willingness or ability to protect classified information. Drug abuse or dependence may impair social or occupational functioning, increasing the risk of an unauthorized disclosure of classified information

(b) Drugs are defined as mood and behavior altering substances, and include: (1) drugs, materials, and other chemical compounds identified and listed in the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, as amended (e.g., marijuana or cannabis, depressants, narcotics, stimulants, and hallucinogens), and (2) inhalants and other similar substances.

(c) Drug abuse is the illegal use of a drug or use of a legal drug in a manner that deviates from approved medical direction.

25. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include: (a) Any drug abuse (see above definition);

(b) illegal drug possession, including cultivation, processing, manufacture, purchase, sale, or distribution;

(c) diagnosis by a credentialed medical professional (e.g., physician, clinical psychologist, or psychiatrist) of drug abuse or drug dependence;

(d) evaluation of drug abuse or drug dependence by a licensed clinical social worker who is a staff member of a recognized drug treatment program;

(e) failure to successfully complete a drug treatment program prescribed by a credentialed medical professional. Recent drug involvement, especially following the granting of a security clearance, or an expressed intent not to discontinue use, will almost invariably result in an unfavorable determination.

26. Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include: (a) the drug involvement was not recent;

(b) the drug involvement was an isolated or infrequent event;

(c) a demonstrated intent not to abuse any drugs in the future;

(d) satisfactory completion of a prescribed drug treatment program, including rehabilitation and aftercare requirements, without recurrence of abuse, and a favorable prognosis by a credentialed medical professional.

Dude don't stress it. Just get past Boot Camp first. Youll be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the help Marines.

I think though that since i didnt disclose my drug history on my security clearance form i may be deemed a security threat or untrustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc92 View Post
    Thanks for the help Marines.

I think though that since i didnt disclose my drug history on my security clearance form i may be deemed a security threat or untrustworthy.
    Just like Jesus said, the truth will set you free.

Credits
    Savings
    Should i go tell my recruiter that on my highschool record it says i got caught with pills? I have already been to MEPS and done the screening and said i have never used drugs. Could i possibly go back a change my statement?

Yes. If it's written down someplace official....you'd better let someone know.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yes. If it's written down someplace official....you'd better let someone know.
    Yea its probably somewhere written down in my highschool, i heard that sometimes they visit high school principals and stuff, and then i would be in major trouble

I already went to MEPS and said i never did any drugs,now i think it may be too late since i never disclosed it at MEPS. My father said dont bring it up because they wont ever know if you did some stupid thing in high school.

I really dont know if i should bring it up. If i bring it up now i may get denied for not disclosing it and lying, and if i dont say it they could find out. I really dont know what to do. I'm really stressed out about this

Last edited by usmc92; 10-03-10 at 01:57 AM. Reason: .

top secret clearence huh? OPM will turn your **** up side down. They will visit your school, your neighbors, any jobs etc. They go back ten years which may not be so bad since you would have only been like 8 years old lol.

You need to contact your school and see if this is something they have on you, or if they can throw it away. Talk to the principle and let him know your intentions. If they wont OPM will get those records and you will be denied for lying and you will probably get thrown out of boot camp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by motox151 View Post
    If they wont OPM will get those records and you will be denied for lying and you will probably get thrown out of boot camp as well.
    Yea, he probably won't make it past the "Red Room" if he holds back info.

Yep, he will be effed in the A!

Credits
    Savings
    Red Room? Is that when they say they know everything about your past but they really dont?

And thats a good idea. Im probably going to make an appointment with my highschool to see if its on record or not. Thanks for that piece of info i never thought of that.

The fact is, if there is a record of it...you should own up to it.

For TS background checks at your age, they will generally talk to the school, possibly interview some teachers. As well as your neighbors and any places of employment.

Interviewers don't really want to talk to your family and friends because they know that they will say anything good and not the truth.

Thread Information