Health Care extention
Create Post

Health Care extention

My daughter in still in school. She will be 23 in Feb. 2011. Does she get the extention of health care to age 26 like the civies?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MarBar76 View Post
    My daughter in still in school. She will be 23 in Feb. 2011. Does she get the extention of health care to age 26 like the civies?
    Hope this helps!

Late last week Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, introduced new legislation to extend the age limit to 26 for veterans’ dependents on the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs. About 336,000 individuals currently use the program.

Lawmakers have already introduced legislation to extend Tricare benefits to the dependent children of military members up until age 26, bringing the health care plan in line with new national standards passed in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Under the old rules students could only stay on their parents' medical plan until age 23, but the health care overhaul added three more years.

But the changes did not affect military or veteran health care plans. The Tricare proposal has been submitted as both a stand-alone bill and as part of the fiscal 2011 National Defense Authorization Act. Last week Akaka said that veterans should receive that same assistance as well.

"I believe it is only fair to afford children who are CHAMPVA beneficiaries the same eligibility as dependent children whose parents have private sector coverage," he said in a Senate floor speech. "Though this Congress is in its final month, we need to open the discussion on this issue now."

Thanks

They have an extention program.
    It's only $933.00 a qtr.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks

It's only $933.00 a qtr.
    Wow.... that's essentially $4k/year. Not up on my healtcare costs but to me that's expensive, especially for a young healthy woman.

Guess I'm a bit jaded....TriCare Prime charges me about $230/year

Credits
    Savings
    You might find some info here for future reference

http://www.militaryreport.com/tricareretired.htm

Thanks

It's only $933.00 a qtr.

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pro...ograms%2FCHCBP

Any thing new on this?