Reserves to active duty, how many have done it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reserves to active duty, how many have done it?

How many people went from reservists to active duty? How long did it take? Has anyone gone from active duty to reserves? How long did it take? Thank you in advance for your responses.

So why would you go from reserve to active? Why not just go active?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I have tried it twice now since I checked into my unit, AD is not taking any augments unless you are a SNCO.

If you want active duty then go active duty, don't waste your time

Its not currently available too many warm bodies want to sign up!

Go in reservist, and then switch to active duty. Here is why.

As a reservist, the state has a much smaller budget for your training, which means they don't let you sit in holding platoons or working parties during your training. You will also get pushed to the front of the line for boot cap ship dates. When MOS school picks up... you'll be first in line.

You also have the benefit of securing your MOS. No multiple choices, Marine Corps doesn't choose for you, you don't end up doing something you don't want unless you fail the MOS school for the MOS that you choose.

Once you're through everything, and you get to your unit, request to be switched to AD. It can take anywhere from 1 month to a year to happen, but it is very possible.

If you don't care about being pushed through training, or what MOS you get... then just go AD.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Go in reservist, and then switch to active duty. Here is why.

As a reservist, the state has a much smaller budget for your training, which means they don't let you sit in holding platoons or working parties during your training. You will also get pushed to the front of the line for boot cap ship dates. When MOS school picks up... you'll be first in line.

You also have the benefit of securing your MOS. No multiple choices, Marine Corps doesn't choose for you, you don't end up doing something you don't want unless you fail the MOS school for the MOS that you choose.

Once you're through everything, and you get to your unit, request to be switched to AD. It can take anywhere from 1 month to a year to happen, but it is very possible.

If you don't care about being pushed through training, or what MOS you get... then just go AD.
    Yeaaaaa...umm that's pretty much all bullsh!t. Plus, it's like the third time you've said it.
    Fing boots...

@Backhaus, so your lack of knowledge makes the facts I stated bullsh!t?

I'm stating facts and experience. If you have specifics to call me out on then do it, don't just make inadequate accusations.

Sure, individual experiences may differ, but everything I have said here is true.

I also love it when nobody has anything intelligent to say... they just start calling people "boots."

Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I have tried it twice now since I checked into my unit, AD is not taking any augments unless you are a SNCO.

If you want active duty then go active duty, don't waste your time
    How about this?

And I'm pretty sure the mos I wanted as a poolee is the mos I have now.

Keep trying.

You still have yet to tell me what statements I made that aren't true. And like I said, every situation is different.

I never said that "nobody gets the MOS they choose."

I also never said that "everyone that tries to switch to AD from reserves is successful."

If I made those statements, please show me. I can't find them.

Just because some isolated cases had a particular outcome, doesn't mean that is how it always works out. The majority of my platoon (80 recruits) were only signed MOS fields... not particular MOS' (03XX, 02XX). Some got what they wanted and some didn't. However, 100% of reservist get the MOS they contract for. 100%.

As for switching to reserves, it obviously depends on their being open positions, and yes, you may have to try more than once. I have yet to see a good Marine get denied an AD position completely. At the most, they end up just having to wait longer.

Let's just throw this in there...are you even out of school yet? If you are, you've been at your unit for about ten minutes, so hence the reason I call you a boot. Boots think they know everything, but they don't know sh!t. I think it's beacuse they don't want to look like one to other people. Hell I did it.

Keep trying.

You still have yet to tell me what statements I made that aren't true. And like I said, every situation is different.

I never said that "nobody gets the MOS they choose."

I also never said that "everyone that tries to switch to AD from reserves is successful."

If I made those statements, please show me. I can't find them.

Just because some isolated cases had a particular outcome, doesn't mean that is how it always works out. The majority of my platoon (80 recruits) were only signed MOS fields... not particular MOS' (03XX, 02XX). Some got what they wanted and some didn't. However, 100% of reservist get the MOS they contract for. 100%.

As for switching to reserves, it obviously depends on their being open positions, and yes, you may have to try more than once. I have yet to see a good Marine get denied an AD position completely. At the most, they end up just having to wait longer.
    You told the kid to go reserves in hope of going active...someday. That's ****ing retarded. If you want to go active then do it, rather than spending how ever the **** long as a weekend warrior. Who knows how long it might actually take. Have you done it? No, so how the **** do you know.

It's not that hard to get the mos you want. ****, I couldn't even tell you what half the grunt mos were when I was a poolee, we pretty much all do the same thing. I may not have 0341, but I know how to use a 60. I may not have 0351, but I know how to use a SMAW. I may not be a 0331, but I know how to use a 240, 50 cal and mk 19. We're all pretty much the same god damn thing, 0311s with more time with a different gun. It's just a stupid number that doesn't mean sh!t.

Also if they're not handing active spots to poolees, why would they let a reservist who already takes up a spot in a unit go to a different one on active duty?

If you wait long enough as a poolee and don't settle for anything else, you'll get what you want.

This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Your saying you get pushed straight to the front of the line so there is no wait time yet when your done you have to wait up too a year( probably longer than that)? And the longest I have ever heard of anyone waiting for their MOS school is like at the most 3 weeks. But I'm guessing that all this stuff your saying is just some bull sh!t your recruiter told you too get you to sign up and because your a BOOT you don't know anything and you bought right into it.

How you liking recon?

I think hes mixing up National Guard info with Reserve info, two totally separate entities.

Thread Information