Asvab
Create Post

Thread: Asvab

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Asvab

Hey Marines,

I used the search button and found a bunch of different information regarding the asvab and studied a ton before I took the pre-test today.

I managed to pull this off.

Predicted AFQT Score: 71

My recruiter seemed very happy with this score and I didn't really understand it so I asked him if it was good and he said if I get something like that on the asvab it will open up almost every job possibility to me.

My question is, is he just saying this to boost my confidence and encourage my enlistment or is that honestly a decent score?

I still plan on studying way harder for the actual asvab but I just wanted to know what you Marines thought about it.

He also laid out these tiles and they had words like "Travel and adventure" and I had to put them in order of importance for me.

That went along with my Marine Interview.

I'm going this Thursday to Meps and was wondering if any of the Marines on this forum had any advice for me.

He said he was going to bend the rules and let me see if I can actually qualify physically before I swear in and basically told me as the supervisor he can do that.

Meaning if I qualify and I do decide to enlist, all I have to do is swear in.

Appreciate any feedback you Marines may have.

Thanks.

~Ryan

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The ASVAB test is something you really can't study for IMO, you either know the material presented to you or you don't. Its not like a one subject test that you take in a class at school, its an aptitude test to see what areas you excel at.

I don't mean to discourage you at all but the practice ASVAB you take is nowhere near what the real one is. But if you can score a 71 or higher on the real one that is a decent score and should put you in a position to pick from just about any MOS. The score you really want high is the GT score, a lot of MOS's require a score of 100-110 or higher.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    The ASVAB test is something you really can't study for IMO, you either know the material presented to you or you don't. Its not like a one subject test that you take in a class at school, its an aptitude test to see what areas you excel at.

I don't mean to discourage you at all but the practice ASVAB you take is nowhere near what the real one is. But if you can score a 71 or higher on the real one that is a decent score and should put you in a position to pick from just about any MOS. The score you really want high is the GT score, a lot of MOS's require a score of 100-110 or higher.

Thanks for the answer Marine. I think I just need to brush up on some of the basic math involving square route of non perfect squares etc.

Appreciate the reply.

The AFQT score is the score your talking about with includes your Math and verbal skills, all the score is a percent rating that you are compared to others. A 71 would mean you are at the 71st percentile compared to others which is pretty good. As josephd stated above the real scores that matter are your GT, MM and EL scores which are a gathering of the subtests of the asvab (auto information, general science, electronics information ect...). Talk with your recruiter on what MOS's you are interested in then he/she will be able to tell what scores you need. For instance 1141 Electrician requires you to have at least a 90 EL, Military Police requires a GT score of 100 ect....

Thread Information