Advice(WARNING: content is insulting but the information here is to the point)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice(WARNING: content is insulting but the information here is to the point)

You know. If people would post information they find and use this forum instead of posting dumb ass things on Ask a Marine maybe the Marines would be happier to answer questions after you research. Many topics have been covered and you dumb **** bird new poolees are posting questions like wild fire about the dumbest of things and things that have been beyond covered. As far as I am concerned Marines on here wouldnt think of our generation of poolees as so dumb if you ****ers werent so lazy and researched or actually read old posts. You could perhaps even make these Marines beleive that we arent as dumb as you make us look. GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ON YOUR OWN THE MARINES ON HERE ARE HERE TO CLEAR UP GREYS AND HELP NOT BABY OUR ASSES THROUGH BOOTCAMP AND LIFE! GROW UP YOU JOINED THE MARINE CORPS NOT THE CHAIRFORCE(NO PUN INTENDED ON AIRFORCE NOR DIRECTED TOWARD JUST LIKED THE NAME AND MAKES A GOOD XBOX WARRIOR PUN)

I dont mean to bash other poolees or to make anyone mad but Im tired of seeing the same posts of stuff I have even made a specific thread for and centralized a ton of INFO for the subject. I am tired of seeing repeats, tired of seeing marines bashing on our generation because of our laziness, ignorance etc. I am just trying to make a point here. SERIOUSLY only post after you have researched and after you have really tried finding what you need. I am sorry if this offends but frankly it sickens me to be put in the category by Marines that I dont belong in just because of contin ued ignorance, it sickens me to see laziness and honestly Im not one of these Marines yet but seeing the repeats constantly is really getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post
    You know. If people would post information they find and use this forum instead of posting dumb ass things on Ask a Marine maybe the Marines would be happier to answer questions after you research. Many topics have been covered and you dumb **** bird new poolees are posting questions like wild fire about the dumbest of things and things that have been beyond covered. As far as I am concerned Marines on here wouldnt think of our generation of poolees as so dumb if you ****ers werent so lazy and researched or actually read old posts. You could perhaps even make these Marines beleive that we arent as dumb as you make us look. GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING ON YOUR OWN THE MARINES ON HERE ARE HERE TO CLEAR UP GREYS AND HELP NOT BABY OUR ASSES THROUGH BOOTCAMP AND LIFE! GROW UP YOU JOINED THE MARINE CORPS NOT THE CHAIRFORCE(NO PUN INTENDED ON AIRFORCE NOR DIRECTED TOWARD JUST LIKED THE NAME AND MAKES A GOOD XBOX WARRIOR PUN)

I dont mean to bash other poolees or to make anyone mad but Im tired of seeing the same posts of stuff I have even made a specific thread for and centralized a ton of INFO for the subject. I am tired of seeing repeats, tired of seeing marines bashing on our generation because of our laziness, ignorance etc. I am just trying to make a point here. SERIOUSLY only post after you have researched and after you have really tried finding what you need. I am sorry if this offends but frankly it sickens me to be put in the category by Marines that I dont belong in just because of contin ued ignorance, it sickens me to see laziness and honestly Im not one of these Marines yet but seeing the repeats constantly is really getting old.
    Agreed. Which is why i'll never 'Ask a Marine' anything. Look it up myself. Better then to repeat posts.

I agree with this full-heartily. One of the main reasons I don't have many posts on the forum is, of the dozen and dozen of questions I've had, 99% of them I have found by actually searching. There has only been one time I've not been able to find an answer and asked the Marines. I don't really understand why so many poolees/wannabes want the Marines to hold their hand every step of the way while they are in DEP or even beforehand. I think we all know that sure as hell isn't going to happen in boot camp and when we earn the title. But, I digress. They'll get a rude awakening.

I'll admit I've made posts in the 'Ask A Marine' forum, but all of them were questions that hadn't be covered before (though they have since been repeated by new members unwilling to make proper use of the search function). I did research independently for almost a year while I was trying to drop weight, and I found out everything that I absolutely needed to know about the Marine Corps.

Advice to new poolees:

1. Google is your friend. It has a search function; use it.
    2. Bookstores and libraries are also powerful allies. Use those too.
    3. This message board is full of information and it has a search function. USE IT.
    4. Ask your recruiter!
    5. Recruiter don't know? Talk to Gunny!
    6. Still nothing? Repeat steps 1-5.
    7. If all else fails when you absolutely must have an answer to a question that you've been unable to answer via independent research AND the question may have a significant impact on you and/or your Marine Corps career THEN and ONLY THEN should you consider the 'Ask A Marine' forum.

Hang in there, DevilDogsSon. We know exactly how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post

The amount of information available on the internet is astounding. The lack of willingness among people to do a simple search for it is also astounding.

-Poolee Pike

Ya I got my rude awakening awhile ago, when I had my first question I searched it on google (thats how I found this website) and some one had a similar question. But it didnt give the answer I was looking for, so I did search on this website first but couldn't find another thread even related to my question. so I made an account and went directly to make a thread. Never do this READ THE RULES. I have never been on a fourm before so I went straight in and asked my question. I made a lot of grammer and spelling mistakes, which I'm still not good at, but all the did was rip on me for it. I took that to heart, asked again and did it right and I got my answer (Except WMarine still got on my case for not capitalizing a couple times I said "I") But ya I have to say I made my mistake but I learned from it and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrouse View Post
    (Except WMarine still got on my case for not capitalizing a couple times I said "I")
    Majority of new members will have some kind of similar encounter. Just think of it as your official "welcome" into the Leatherneck community.

Haha, ya I found that out the hard way.

The Ask A Marine section is there for a reason.... no matter how "useless" you may find some of the questions there, other people DON'T know as much about the subject as you do.

Has it ever crossed your mind that they want to ask actual Marines questions instead of looking it up off of some shady looking website or something? Not saying that all of the answers are bad, but id rather hear it from a reputable source (I trust Marines on leatherneck) rather than anywhere else. That brings up the point of "using the search bar" that pops up on like 75% of the questions. The section is there to ask Marines questions, not for people to get all anal because the question was asked before... come on, its not like a repeated question is going to fry anyones eyes out, its the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by wilsontc11 View Post
    The Ask A Marine section is there for a reason.... no matter how "useless" you may find some of the questions there, other people DON'T know as much about the subject as you do.

Has it ever crossed your mind that they want to ask actual Marines questions instead of looking it up off of some shady looking website or something? Not saying that all of the answers are bad, but id rather hear it from a reputable source (I trust Marines on leatherneck) rather than anywhere else. That brings up the point of "using the search bar" that pops up on like 75% of the questions. The section is there to ask Marines questions, not for people to get all anal because the question was asked before... come on, its not like a repeated question is going to fry anyones eyes out, its the internet...
    Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work. Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarSniper View Post
    Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work.
    How am I wrong...? The Ask A Marine section isn't for Asking Marines questions? And to me, them saying "ask a recruiter" is a great answer. Same with "we aren't doctors at MEPS", or anything else like that. Atleast they answered those questions instead of saying use the search function. And really? You're going to brand someone as lazy and unmotivated because they didn't use the search function on an internet forum........?

Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.
    I never said anything about double posting... and yeah, i've used search quite a bit too.

and I never said that either... I'm talking about strictly internet information gathering. I've asked my recruiter plenty of things that I haven't asked on here. I trust my recruiter more than the people on here lol, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions on here instead and get good answers. Not to mention ALOT of the people that use that section aren't even poolees, they're people thinking about enlisting.

Ok. You're wrong. Lots of times the Marines will reply by saying, "Ask your recruiter." I've seen it. Another thing? Yes. It does fry the eyes. When a poolee doesn't have the INITIATIVE to do a thorough search for something, and he finds himself asking a question that was asked before in slightly different form, it tells us something about him. Lazy. Unmotivated. Unwilling to do. the work. Also, the rules clearly state not to double post. So Add rule breaking to the list. The search bar can be narrowed down if you know what you're looking for, I have done it countless times in the month that i've been here. And if you trust Marines on an internet site more then your own recruiters who you can see and speak to face to face? Well, I don't know what to say. But double-posting is annoying, unnecessary, time consuming, and we're sick of it.
    I agree with you about the double post to an extent, but some times it is nice to ask a Marine if you cant find the exact answer. Also when I had my question I couldnt get a hold of my recruiter, and I did ask him later and he didnt know the answer and had to look it up and got back to me two days later. So I think sometimes it is ok to want to ask your own question. Isn't that what a fourm is about to bring to gether different people with differing view points and knowlege?

None of us said that the Ask A Marine section is useless - quite the opposite. It's just that many of the Marines get tired of spouting off the same answers to questions that have previously been asked and they themselves say to read the rules and use the search function; we are only advocating that advice. I trust the Marines here as well, but I also take into consideration that for every reply they make, they are taking their personal time to answer those redundant and repetitive questions. How many Marines do think have stopped even paying attention to that forum simply because of the same questions being asked over and over again?

Also, the point of doing your own research is not to just get everything you need to know from one source, but from multiple sources, that way you can confirm whether or not that information is legitimate, no?

It is the internet, but that's no excuse for lack of initiative (or proper grammar for that matter).

How am I wrong...? The Ask A Marine section isn't for Asking Marines questions? And to me, them saying "ask a recruiter" is a great answer. Same with "we aren't doctors at MEPS", or anything else like that. Atleast they answered those questions instead of saying use the search function. And really? You're going to brand someone as lazy and unmotivated because they didn't use the search function on an internet forum........?

I never said anything about double posting... and yeah, i've used search quite a bit too.

and I never said that either... I'm talking about strictly internet information gathering. I've asked my recruiter plenty of things that I haven't asked on here. I trust my recruiter more than the people on here lol, but that doesn't mean I can't ask questions on here instead and get good answers. Not to mention ALOT of the people that use that section aren't even poolees, they're people thinking about enlisting.
    Alright. lol. You've got a point about those who are not poolees, but I'm sticking to my guns. You're still wrong. Why? Because Devildogson was talking about double-posting. That's what this thread was originated about. He also was stating that those who do ask a Marine should only do so as a last resort. So don't blast the fort and you know what? I've changed my mind. lol. So what if they aren't poolees? Poolees aren't an evolved lifeform of humans, are we? No. So. They can learn just as well as we can, and do their own research, or better yet? That interested? WALK INTO A RECRUITING OFFICE. That's what I did. And yes, I will brand someone as lazy for not doing their own research, the internet is here for a reason, use it, losers. But HEY! If you really disagree then I employ you! Ask a Marine as much as you want, double post! Hell, quadruple post! Just don't get butt-hurt when those same Marines you ask cut your ass for redundancy.

Ask a Marine as much as you want, double post! Hell, quadruple post! Just don't get butt-hurt when those same Marines you ask cut your ass for redundancy.
    And I think that's the exact point that we're all trying to make...

Thread Information