Offended by "Devil Dog"??? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Devil Dogs all the way,OOHRAH, Semper Fidelis.

They don't have to sign up then. It is a badge of honor; it should not be a complaint from whiny snafu ridden folks like that. The SNCO will teach them

Quote Originally Posted by rwest158497 View Post
    "The German high command classified the Marines as "Shock Troops," a classification reserved only for the finest military organizations. German soldiers came to fear the Marines, calling them fierce Teufelhunde which is German for "Devil Dogs," a name which sticks to Marines to this day. Belleau Wood was in keeping with the finest of Marine Corps Traditions."

Amazing. Young Marines need to really look into our history. Devil Dog is not and has never been a derogatory term for us. It actually means we are bad ass!

For those that hate the term please catch up on your reading. This would be my first suggestion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Belleau_Wood

"Devil dog" is forever and it is extremely deserved. Carry on.

Devil Dog

From Wikipedia encyclopedia

The term "Devil Dog" is a very common nickname for all Marines. "Devil Dog" is historically a well accepted term of endearment. Professional Military Education had stated "Devil Dog" is a title of honor, and should be regarded as such. "Devil Dog" should be called out when praising ones actions when they are in keeping with the high standards of the Corps. The "dog" in the phrase is usually depicted as a bulldog in line with the original 1918 poster. The bull dog is the official mascot of the Corps. A line of bulldogs had served as the unofficial mascot of the Corps since the 1920s, most named after Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty Puller".

In contrast the term has also taken on a negative conotation due to its usage when correcting Marines. The term "Devil Dogged" has come to mean lectured, usually for being out of acceptable Marine Corps regulations. .[4]

Senior Marines will often call out other Marines who are out of regulation. For example 1st Sgt. Jones notices that an unknown Lance Corporal has a dirty uniform at the PX. 1st Sgt Jones may yell across the room "Hey there, Devil Dog!" Once the LCpl realizes he is being addressed, he would reply "Yes, First Sergeant" The 1st Sgt would order, "Go to your barracks, and square way that filthy blouse!" After returning to the barraks the LCpl's roommate may ask him how his trip to the PX was, the LCpl would respond "Aside from getting 'Devil Dogged', it was okay."

heck if they don't like devil dog than thet shoul have joined the army an become dogfaces

Look here Devil Dogs, calm down..... Haha kidding

I am a young Marine(got out in 2003) I like to be called Devil Dog! But I also agree with some on this thread, NCOs and up have unfortunately turned the name Devil Dog derogatory, but alot of them have kept with tradition. Yes, alot of new Marines need to grow a thick skin!
    Semper Fi Devil Dogs!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

I am offended by the name Muslim. I am offended by the name Islam. I am offended by the name third world countries. I am not offended by anything named MARINE CORPS AND ALL NICKNAMES ATTACHED TO IT. You who are offended by being a MARINE get out, go home, you are not wanted nor needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    I've been out of the Corps for 10 years and recently have decided to go back. Yesterday I was talking to my PSR and asked him how much the youngsters have changed.

He went on and on. And then he slapped me with "some of these F'n idiots are offended by being called Devil Dog".

Someone please say it aint so. It took a lot of sacrifice in the battle where we earned that nickname. It's a name I take a lot of pride in.

If this is true and you are offended by that nickname, you better hope you don't get assigned to my unit!

Credits
    Savings
    Are they offended by Jarhead? Leatherneck?
    Many years ago I was being interviewed by the executive editor of a major newspaper. He was reading my resume and peered over his glasses and said, "So you're a Jarhead?" I looked him in the eye to see where he was coming from and answered, "That I am." It turned out that he was a Chosin Marine and we very briefly talked about that. He called the managing editor and told him to give me the written test and to hire me if I passed, which I did. I worked for that cantankerous editor for 10 years until he was forced out for being politically incorrect. Two years later I was working for a different newspaper. So never get offended by Marine nicknames, they might lead to better things.

I hope I never run across any of these thin skin Marines they will not like me. I am a Devil Dog and I will never give that name up, never !!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt Major Dan Daily one of a few Marines to win the MOH twice and tell in this Battle Of Belleau Wood to the Marines " Come on you Son-of-a-b1tches do you want to live forever". Would be waiting for them at the gates to kick their @sses when they report in. Also if they don't like to be called Devil Dogs are in the 5th and 6th Marines they don't rate to wear the French Fourragere, were in the Battle Of Belleau Wood is were the Germans called us Marines "Devil Dogs". If they don't like the name of earned by Marines of the past, they don't rate to wear items on their uniforms.

Leathernecks, Jarheads, Devil Dogs, Boots, Maggots, We been called them all at one point in our Marine Corps time OOORRRAAAHHH.

Semper Fi

Hahahahahaha! I can't imagine seeing someone wanting to be a Marine yet not wanting to be called a Devil Dog. Would they rather be called a Maggot?

I'm A Devil Dog !!!

Bad as my memory is, I can't recall ever being Offended, by any of the TITLES, I've seen on this thread. The only thing I've ever been insulted, orangered by, was the Term, "Sea going BEll-Hop". Now that p333ed me pff.! There is a standard answer to that insult, involving a close, female member of the insulters family, Guaranteed to either make the idiot fight', or retreat. I hoped for the first reaction, the two times it happened to me, and was not disappointed, and no, I do not have thin skin. S/F!!! Ken

I never minded the term Devil Dog. I have seen it used both ways, I've seen it used as an attaboy from Senior SNCO's and Officers. I've also seen it used as a term used when Correcting Junior Marines. If a Marine wants to get offended by me calling him Devil Dog on the street in passing so be it. Grow a bar of nutts

Thread Information