Offended by "Devil Dog"??? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Im offended

Nowadays its always followed with an ass chewing....always.

The next Marine who calls me DevilDog will get an immediate handshake! it is a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned!

If this is true, then someone needs a good old fashion ass kicking for screwing with my beloved Marine Corps tradition.

Semper Fi Devil Dogs!!

http://www.myspace.com/devildogmarine1

It's hard for me to believe this. It offended me so much I incorporated it into my sig!

There was an article in Marine Corps Times about this very subject a year ago. And yes Devil Dog has become the ass chewing preface to any belittling. "Hey Devil Dog pull up your draws" or "Hey Devil Dog get your dickskinners out of your pockets!" or "Hey Devildog clean up that trash" Got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    There was an article in Marine Corps Times about this very subject a year ago. And yes Devil Dog has become the ass chewing preface to any belittling. "Hey Devil Dog pull up your draws" or "Hey Devil Dog get your dickskinners out of your pockets!" or "Hey Devildog clean up that trash" Got it?
    If I said:
    Hey Marine pull up your draws.
    Hey Marine get your dickskinners out of your pockets.
    Hey Marine clean up that trash.

I wonder if they wouldn't want to be called Marine anymore???

I have never herd that from any young Marines I have met over the years not even in the last two years. So am thinking that the number of them is small or at least the mind is. Or maybe they just need to get a thicker skin?

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    I have never herd that from any young Marines I have met over the years not even in the last two years. So am thinking that the number of them is small or at least the mind is. Or maybe they just need to get a thicker skin?
    I agree. I have never met a "thin skinned" Marine before but it seems like the Corps is starting to get some.

Tis a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 3043pog View Post
    The next Marine who calls me DevilDog will get an immediate handshake! it is a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned!

Semper Fi, Devil Dog!

Me thinks some here need to get a little thicker skin!!

Semper Fi, Delvil Dogs, OOOHRAW

I was getting real tired of it in the early 90s. The term devil dog was usually used when announcing how the jr enlisted were going to get screwed, or used as a insult by SNCOs one on one--like calling someone 'boot'.

Not shocked that it finally turned into a full insult.

I found a little more info on this thread.

Devil Dog

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This article is about the U.S. Marine nickname. For other uses, see Devil Dog (disambiguation).

A recruiting poster by Charles B. Falls makes use of the "Teufel Hunden" nickname

Teufel Hunden, allegedly meaning Devil Dogs in German, is a motivational nickname for a U.S. Marine.

U.S. Marine Corps legends

According to tradition in the United States Marine Corps, the moniker was used by German soldiers to describe U.S. Marines who fought in the Belleau Wood in 1918. The Marines fought with such ferocity that they were likened to "Dogs from Hell." Although unverified by the Germans, the reports were made by American media at the time. While the legend persists, the Devil Dogs nickname for Marines first appeared in newspapers in the United States in April 1918, about two months before the Battle of Belleau Wood. The La Crosse (Wisconsin) Tribune ran a story about the nickname on April 27, 1918, and other newspapers used the story as early as April 15, 1918. The Battle of Belleau Wood began on June 1, 1918. [1][2]

Grammar problems

A poster created by Charles B. Falls in 1918 (exhibited further up) was one of the first recorded references to the term.
    In German, a compound noun is always a single word, so using two words "Teufel Hunden" is grammatically incorrect. The correct German would be Teufelshunde in nominative, genitive, and accusative cases, and Teufelshunden only in the dative. In either form, the linking element "s" steps between the words. Examples:
    Sie waren Teufelshunde. - they were devil dogs.
    Er war ein Teufelshund. - he was a devil dog.
    Er sprach von den Teufelshunden. - he talked about the devil dogs.
    Furthermore, the word "Teufelshund" is unknown in the German language. The nearest equivalent is "Höllenhund" ("dog of hell"), the german translation of the mythical Kerberos; a term that can also be used to describe a reckless and courageous person. All this suggests that the Marines were never actually referred to as "devil dogs" by German WW1 soldiers.[1]
    Modern use
    The term "Devil Dog" is a very common nickname for all Marines. "Devil Dog" is historically a well accepted term of endearment. Professional Military Education had stated "Devil Dog" is a title of honor, and should be regarded as such. "Devil Dog" should be called out when praising ones actions when they are in keeping with the high standards of the Corps. The "dog" in the phrase is usually depicted as a bulldog in line with the original 1918 poster. The bull dog is the official mascot of the Corps. A line of bulldogs had served as the unofficial mascot of the Corps since the 1920s, most named after Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty Puller".
    In contrast the term has also taken on a negative conotation due to its usage when correcting Marines. The term "Devil Dogged" has come to mean lectured, usually for being out of acceptable Marine Corps regulations. .[4]
    Senior Marines will often call out other Marines who are out of regulation. For example 1st Sgt. Jones notices that an unknown Lance Corporal has a dirty uniform at the PX. 1st Sgt Jones may yell across the room "Hey there, Devil Dog!" Once the LCpl realizes he is being addressed, he would reply "Yes, First Sergeant" The 1st Sgt would order, "Go to your barracks, and square way that filthy blouse!" After returning to the barraks the LCpl's roommate may ask him how his trip to the PX was, the LCpl would respond "Aside from getting 'Devil Dogged', it was okay."

I am just not going to go along with this has become a bad thing in the minds of some new Marines if it has then those Marines who beleave it is degarding then suck it up and remember what the Coprs is all about. Get a thicker skin you bunch of Delvil Dogs.

Devil Dogs

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by referring to them as Devil Dog ,next Squid will be a good thing haha.Bunch a namby pamby jackwagon sissys.Semper Fi Devil Dogs.

Thread Information